Hair dye questions

o0oCharlieo0o

Reaction score
This seems to change with every pregnancy, last time i was pregnant i was told its ok to dye your hair, but before that it wasn't, thing is i want to put a colour stripper on my hair and then dye it after, but i dont know if it is ok to do or not, my hair used to be naturally black but now im very grey (been going grey since i was 17!!!!) and iv always just put black dyes on my hair but now its getting to the point where pretty soon after its dyed my grey roots are really noticeable! So i want to strip the black colour out and go a lightish brown colour which will hopefully hide the greys better but if it doesn't work I'll have to put another black on so seems like quite a lot of messing with my hair especially pregnant i dont know what to do :/

My doctor told me as long as I wasn't planning on eating the dye it's fine,
Make sure the rooms well ventilated too, you also might want to patch test, even if you've used this product before, pregnancy can make us more sensitive to a reaction

Yes, it's fine to dye your hair. Keep the room ventilated and the previous poster makes a good point about the patch test. Last preg my hair dye felt like it was burning my scalp, although it turned out OK in the end!

I was told to wait until my second trimester, but I bleach my hair, not dye, so maybe that makes a difference?:shrug:

Either way, I agree on the patch test! Last time I did anything to my hair when I was pregnant it did not turn out the same as normal!!

As far as Im aware you can dye yor hair, it's just sometimes the dye doesn't work due to the hormones.
Also the same when your on a period.

I guess it just depends on your body

:thumbup:

Following this as I was wondering the same thing. I have dark hair that is already going grey so I was thinking about getting some highlights to try and disguise the grey 'highlights' lol. At the mo I was thinking about waiting until second trimester, but I'd prefer to get it done before xmas!

Its the colour stripper im more so worried about, iv used it before and its very potent, infact it stinks to high heaven lol! Thanks ladies x

Ok Im a hairstylist and I just wanted to give you a little info. Any sort of bleaches or color removers are not recommended in the first trimester. Trace amounts of it theses chemicals have been found in urine after a color service. Hair color is the same, but has been found to be less harmful. I am pregnant as well, and I dont plan to color my hair until I hit 10 weeks. I already know this is going to be rough looking, but I wont risk anything.

Ok Im a hairstylist and I just wanted to give you a little info. Any sort of bleaches or color removers are not recommended in the first trimester. Trace amounts of it theses chemicals have been found in urine after a color service. Hair color is the same, but has been found to be less harmful. I am pregnant as well, and I dont plan to color my hair until I hit 10 weeks. I already know this is going to be rough looking, but I wont risk anything.

Thank you hun! I shall stay old till 2nd tri after hearing that lol xx

Your welcome, i hope you have a healthy pregnancy!

tddunn,
thanks for responding, I had similar questions. I'm due to get my hair highlighted at 12wks...do you think that's safe?

tddunn,
thanks for responding, I had similar questions. I'm due to get my hair highlighted at 12wks...do you think that's safe?

I was just about to ask the same question! I'm dark brown with a full head of blonde highlights, which at this stage are half way down my head! I've a wedding on 14/12 and was hoping to get them done maybe around the 7th, which would leave me approx 9 weeks, what ya think?

tddunn,

Hi Hun, I'm a hair stylist also, with highlights you don't have any contact with the scalp, I have a client who reacts severely to colour/bleaches but she can have highlights and they don't irritate her in the slightest. I would have a patch test and strand test done 48hrs before you have your highlights done as pregnancy hormones do affect your hair, I've been a stylist for 10years now and have had had lots of pregnant clients, all of whom I have recommended highlights and they themselves, and there babies have been perfectly fine
Hope that helps xx

tddunn,

I was just about to ask the same question! I'm dark brown with a full head of blonde highlights, which at this stage are half way down my head! I've a wedding on 14/12 and was hoping to get them done maybe around the 7th, which would leave me approx 9 weeks, what ya think?

As I said to previous poster where possible try to opt for just highlights, and patch and strand tests before hand :) feel free to ask me anything else u would like to know xx

For the ladies asking about getting their hair colored, usually after 12 weeks a doctor will give you the ok. The risk of anything happening is very minimal. As for highlights, while it is true that highlights do not touch the scalp, there is no guarantee that some lightener would not make contact with the scalp at some point in the process. Also If as the original poster stated, she is wanting to fully lighten her hair from black to go to a brown this would require a lightener all over. I have no doubt that plenty of women have gone on to have healthy babies and colored their hair on a very regular basis. I simply believe that it is responsible to look at all of the research, and for some women, especially ones who have had an MC in the past, to weigh the risks, no matter how small they are.

If you choose to color your hair talk to your doctor first. Most give the go ahead with no issues, while some ask you to wait till the second trimester when the most "risky" part of the pregnancy is over. I think that either way you go on this is fine, and just a personal decision you have to make bases on your own personal comfort level.

I bleached my hair in September from dark brown to blond and now I'm going to wait out at least the first trimester to fix it. I've had a previous miscarriage and would hate to do anything I would regret if it went seriously wrong. There's lot. Of debate as to the effect and I would think that's because it'd be very hard to prove and test. I've just changed my hairstyle to cover it and come spring I might chop out the bling.

My bf is a hairdresser and she said its ok as long as the colour is ammonia free??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->