Hair dye

LynAnne

Mum to 2 Boys
Reaction score
I haven't dyed my hair since before I found out that I was pregnant. I'm 15 weeks along now and my greys are getting out of control - I'm only 26!! I've got an event coming up on the 11th of June that I really want to look nice for as it'll be the first time since announcing that I'll see certain people so I want to get my hair sorted.

I've read that dying your hair is okay after the first trimester although they haven't done much research into it. I'll be 17 weeks if I dye it in the days leading up to the event so there is a nice little gap between me and the first trimester! I dye it at home, with help, in a well ventilated place and the brand I used has no ammonia.

Does anyone have any more information about dying your hair in pregnancy? Have you done so yourself? I only want to dye it once or twice throughout the pregnancy. It's not as though I would be doing a 6 weekly touch up of my roots or anything!

I think it's nothing but an old wives tales if anything. Dye barely (if at all) gets absorbed by your scalp and it won't even make it to the placenta. Just try not to breathe it in and turn a fan on and you and your baby will be fine!

Did it myself last prefnancy and have dyed it twice this pregnancy and it will be done again in another 6 weeks. From what I understand it's fine, it doesn't enter your bloodstream and therefore shouldn't effect the baby. Just make sure you're in a well ventilated room.

I dye my hair regularly. I just ask my hair dresser for a peroxide/ammonia free dye and she leaves a small gap between my roots and my scalp so the dye doesn't get onto my skin. If you read online there's no concrete evidence that hair dye can hurt a baby. I say go for it and enjoy your event!

Thanks ladies. I knew all that information but I just wanted some reassurance before I went ahead and dyed my hair. After all my losses I just didn't want to risk anything, you know?

My friend dyed her hair every other week when she was pregnant :haha: and she has a healthy baby boy! I've also dyed my hair and so far so good.

I was advised not to use dye and so use henna which is natural. I do it at home and it's easy to do. I know people who have dyed their hair though but I didn't in my pregnancies x

I have done mine twice in this pregnancy already ... once at 10 weeks in a salon and then last week I did it myself at home ... its perfectly safe as long as its done in a well-ventilated place

I personally don't dye my hair whilst pregnant. Nor do I drink. But it's a very mixed bag on who does what and for what reasons. My own reason is that there isn't anywhere that has shown me research says 100% that it's harmless so I won't be giving myself that risk to cause harm. If there's anything that's unproven then I (personally) can wait 9 months for the guarantee I'm not causing harm to my baby.

That said, I want to stress how that's my own personal view. Many many others don't share that view and do dye their hair and have a glass of wine here and there and there's nothing wrong with that.

It's whatever you feel comfortable with :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->