Hair Dye

sapphire20

Olivia & Alex <3
Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

just wanted to know what your thoughts on getting your hair dyed during pregnancy??

C x

I'm going to be honest here, I dyed my hair from black to blonde when PG with carlee, from 8 weeks on.

Dying hair is like breast feeding, Some do it, some dont, its all on what you believe and what your comfortable with

If you go to a professional, Ask to have a fan blowing around so your not breathing in alot of fumes. this is Truly a personal choice.

oh i think i wud defo do it...but think they say wait till after 12wk ?!?!? good luck sure u be fine...dont take my word4that tho!

Id say its absolutley fine! Even if it was bleach, It doesnt get put directly on your skin so what harm is it going to cause?!
Found this https://www.babyandpregnancy.co.uk/HairColourPregnancy.html
It suggests waiting untill after 12 weeks but its just personal prefrence really.
Iv been dyeing mine with a semi permanent every 3 weeks and Im fine!
X

I wouldn't use anything with peroxide in until after 12 weeks. Anyway the only problem with it is that the dye takes longer to colour your hair and may not take at all as the cells in your body on the defense and don't take kindly to things trying tio change them. Hope that makes sense xxx

before i got pregnant i had blonde in my dark hair and my roote were do to be done but coz of all the rumours and speculation i jst decided to dye the blond the same colour as the rest

When I found out I was pregnant I had black and pink hair. Ittook quite a lot of dye to keep it looking good, so I dyed my hair brown using a low ammonia dye and now I won't dye it again.
I looked everywhere for research into hairdye and pregnancy and the only thing I could find was research done into animal foetus's and hair-dye. The report said damage was caused by the chemicals to the animal foetus, but the chemicals used were 100 times stronger than what is actually in hair-dye! So I think its one of those things people tell you not to do because they don't really know the effects.

I asked my m/w about this, and she said it is absolutly fine, no matter how far on you are or how early...her answer was..do you ever see pregnant hairdressers? And you doo, its just a myth that its harmful.

I asked my GP bout this when i first found out i was pregnant and he said it was fine as the dye rarely comes into contact with the skin.
He said if i was at all worried then best to leave it to the professionals rather than attempt it myself.

Sooooo am booking myself in for 4 weeks time for highlights all over to try and blend in these horrid blonde roots on my dyed brown hair.

Grrrrr, i look like am going grey

I think its a personal choice. I had mine dyed last week, really wanted blonde highlights so my hairdresser did a strand test first as it doesnt always work when your pregnant (glad she did as it went orange!) so went brown and red.

most people tell you not to do certain things just becase they aren't fully aware of the risks they could cause .. doesn't mean there are any risks just there unsure of what may happen. i've dyed my hair since i've found out i was pregnant & i use bleach/peroxide & only difference i noticed was it took alot longer to actually colour thats all. i spoke to my doctor about dying my hair & he said it was fine it's just some pregnant people choose not to as they say the fumes harm the baby. in my personal opinion, i've got alot of friends & family who have had babies & most of them have dyed their hair throughout the whole of the pregnancy .. every single baby was born healthy & was fine :) x

Hi,

Thanks for all your posts, I had every intention of dying my hair, didnt think there was anything wrong with this, but when I mentioned it to a few people I got funny looks as if to say surely your not dying your hair when pregnant!

:)

I had a colour that I was going to use just before I found out I was PG.
I am on the fence,nobody knows for sure with the chemicals.
I have bought a henna dye which is natural so I can still get my colour done without stressing it :)

i am not sure if i will do it or not ... unfortuantely i am naturally blonde as my hair is currently dark my regrowth comes through blonde lol... so yeah... might chat to the doctor or the pharmacy and see what they have to say i guess :)

my sister is a hairdresser and I asked her when I found out I was prego. I have florescent pink hair.
She said if I get it done in a shop to ask for "off root dyeing" where they don't put anything on your scalp
I use something called punky color or manic panic, which is a wash out dye and has no ammonia. She said as long as I don't leave that on my scalp more than the recommended amount of time (I am a strange one and leave it on for hours =S) it should be fine
To be honest even with her reassuring me I am not dying my hair.
Im just going to let it grow out.
There really is no proof either way as most moms to be won't volunteer to see if something is going to harm the baby
Anyways like everyone is saying it is personal choice...but thats my two cents
=D
Mandykins

I went from blonde to brown when pregnant purely because bleach wouldnt take to my roots, a hairdresser friend said its somthing to do with your hormomes, aparently theres no problem dying your hair at all but somtimes it might not work!

I've bought some herbal hair dye, my air is dyed blonde and my hair is brown naturally and my root are out of control!!!

My hair dressers so no to bleach as for some reason while pregnant it comes out a weird colour. But hair dye is ok. I have done my twice since I was pregnant. Have one more to do before baby is born and no idea how i will get my head over the bath to get it out again lol

i am not sure if i will do it or not ... unfortuantely i am naturally blonde as my hair is currently dark my regrowth comes through blonde lol... so yeah... might chat to the doctor or the pharmacy and see what they have to say i guess :)

Im in the same boat as you so was thinking maybe highlights all over to blend the roots in abit more instead of a full head of bleach.

A fed up with this brown now

I carried on dying mine black throughout the pregnancy.. did have some red highlights done a couple times but would recommend having a fan blowing.

The smell made me feel quite sick :( :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->