Hair loss early pregnancy

chrissytina

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm nearly 6 weeks pregnant and I've noticed a lot of hair coming out in the shower and when I brush my hair. Even if I just run my hand through my hair about 3-5 or so strands will come out.

Is this normal? My doctor doesn't open until 1pm and I'll call them at that time. But just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this

You are likely lacking something. With my son I lost some hair until I started supplementing iron. I was always chronically low in iron and ferritin in the past.
This pregnancy I eat lots of meat and my iron and ferritin are over 70 in pregnancy, 90 before. Both in the normal range but you can see how much it can take away from you.

Other than iron it is common to lack Vitamin B, D, Zinc, Calcium, Magnesium, Folic Acid. Eating a very nutrient rich diet would be the only way to manage without supplements. But it takes 3 months for stores to fill up. So you may want to consider supplements :)

It happened to me last time in early pregnancy and lasted about 2-3 weeks. Doctor said it was due to the hormonal changes. Then I had gorgeous hair for rest of pregnancy and about 4 months after delivery. The postpartum hair loss was brutal for me, though.

Hi Hun. It's completely normal and I was told it's down to hormonal changes when I was pregnant with my second baby. I actually had two tiny tiny bald patches but they soon grew back xx

Hi everyone,
I do take a prenatal and DHA and I've been taking it for about 3 months before I got preggers. I also eat very healthy. I'm a little concerned I guess because I have Celiac Disease and if untreated this can cause malabsorbtion of nutrients, but mine has been treated for nearly 8 years. I'll call my doc soon and let y'all know what she says.

But sounds like it might be normal from some other posts on here so I'm not too concerned right now ;)

It happened to me last time in early pregnancy and lasted about 2-3 weeks. Doctor said it was due to the hormonal changes. Then I had gorgeous hair for rest of pregnancy and about 4 months after delivery. The postpartum hair loss was brutal for me, though.

Hi Hun. It's completely normal and I was told it's down to hormonal changes when I was pregnant with my second baby. I actually had two tiny tiny bald patches but they soon grew back xx

Hormones don't bounce up and down within weeks. It takes on average 3 months for them to go into a state that that would result in hair loss, then around another 3 to balance out. In some women it can take longer but biologically it can not happen faster.
Sadly many doctors are misinformed about this. I treat people with hairloss and run into the hormones or stress theory a lot.

Hormones are crazy for every pregnant woman in the first trimester, but not all lose hair.

OP if you are Celiac I am sure you avoid Gluten. There are other empty calories like rice, potato and corn that you can limit as they would decrease the amount of more nutrient rich food you ingest. I mostly eat meat, veggies and fruit and not many empty carbs. I used to be chronically low in every nutrient during my carb rich days. But haven't been in a long time since eating this way.

Well, whatever the cause, my doctor said it was normal and would stop in a few weeks. Sure enough, it did so without my making any diet, supplement, or lifestyle changes.

Well, whatever the cause, my doctor said it was normal and would stop in a few weeks. Sure enough, it did so without my making any diet, supplement, or lifestyle changes.

Yeah if it stopped in a few weeks it definitely was not hormones. But the baby can need more of different nutrients at different times of gestation depending on what is forming and developing.
Also even while not changing your overall diet you could have ingested more of nutrient X just by eating a food you don't eat all too often or eating a bit more of a certain food. It is surprising which foods can contain iron for example.

There can be other reasons for for a small episode of temporary hair loss that is not hormone related but bababy taking away your nutrients is very common because that is exactly what your body does to preserve the pregnancy. Survival mode.
Hair is most unimportant to the body so it will stop supplying it with nutrients first = shed.

Yes, I am experiencing the same. I didn't with my first pregnancy.
My friend also had it too, at the same time (very early 1st tri).
I have taken a prenatal + other supplements for years, literally, including iron. It can't hurt to supplement a bit--ask your doctor what is safe--but I think sometimes pregnant women just get this weird symptom early on.

I'm just a bout 11 weeks and have been noticing large amounts of hair loss this week. I don't remember loosing so much hair the last time.

Called the doc and she wants to test my thyroid. I'm getting blood drawn and I'll ask if they can test my nutrients too while they are at it.

I was gonna suggest getting your thyroid checked. Glad your doctor beat me to it!!

Thyroid checked out normal. I'm thinking of trying a different prenatal just to see if it stops. Otherwise I guess I'll try not to worry about it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->