Halfords complaint. What to do next?

Jary

Mummy to Alice 10/05/13
Reaction score
Hi there!

I don't know where else to put this so here goes!

I've had a nightmare with halfords recently. My car exhaust fell off on my way to work, halfords fixed it. Told me when I came to collect the car that the catalytic converter was on its way out but advised to wait till it went as it had two months left. I took that advice as I have an uncle who is a mechanic up north and I explained I would be visiting there in July. They said there was a crack in the cat so they patched it up. We asked if the car was secure and they said it was.

Off I went and then about a month later (the day before we were to travel up north) the exhaust fell off again. The cat and exhaust wasnt connected properly. The garage who I had to get car fixed at said they found no nuts and bolts holding the car together, only filler, so I don't know what happened to the bolts! Anyway I mentioned this to halfords and they pretty much said that cause I didn't bring the car back to them they couldn't do anything. Fair enough, tho I explained I wouldn't have been able to do this as the garage was in Southampton and I live in Bournemouth...couldn't make that trip in the early hours of Sunday morning with an exhaust hanging off!

All I wanted was for them to accept that they made a mistake and give me a heartfelt apology, so I wrote to them again, I got there reply saying they advised me about the 'exhaust/cat' and I 'declined the work'. No, I wasnt told there was a problem with the exhaust and i was advised to have the work done in a month. Not then and there. The garage that fixed my car the second time told me that it shouldn't have been let out the garage in the state it was in and and I shouldn't have been on the motorway which I use regularly!

The guy on the phone from halfords said I was told that the exhaust was fitted as best it could be in the state the cat was in; shooting himself in the foot i think cause if that's the case then why didn't they tell me the car wasn't safe? I'd have gladly had the cat replaced (they quoted me £300 btw)

They said the car WAS secure, they knew I was going to drive 350 miles with a car in that state and didn't advise me against it.

Halfords have said they won't take any liability and won't take the matter further.

So, I am pretty disappointed in them and I'm not going to accept that letter. They keep fobbing me off.

Sorry about the rant, but I wondered if anyone knows where else I can take this complaint?
I asked my partner if I was overreacting but he was there when I picked the car up and asked them questions and he agrees that they have made a mistake.

Take it to their head office.. the amount of crap they sell, I'd never take a car there. Hope you get the answer you want.

the should do something about it because I'm pretty sure any work they do they guarantee it for 12 months, although don't quote me on that.

When they did my MOT on my old car the claimed the AC and a lot of other things needed doing, it didn't they just sold it there so wanted to make more money!

I've complained to the head office. They are the ones who sent the very short, lazy letter saying they won't accept liability.

It just sounds like they are trying to make me sound like a liar. I hate that. *grumbles*

Anywho, thanks for your replies! I think I'll have another chat with the other garage about what they thought of the work that halfords did (or didn't do as the case may be)

When I hear things like this I wonder how many other people they've done it too :(

Cx

We had some lights sold to us from halfords.. Turned out they weren't legal lights. Nice of them x

We had some lights sold to us from halfords.. Turned out they weren't legal lights. Nice of them x

Charming of them!

I've spoke to the garage that fixed up my car properly. They said they would provide a report of needed but weren't really sure where I could turn to next except citizens advice. May do that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->