halloween birth story/ update w? picture

babyjiva

1st baby
Reaction score
everything below is the same... just wanted to show her off in my avatar pic!

My Birth Story (due oct 31): Rati Keli 7lbs 12oz

It all began Friday the 29th at 6am!

*side note. I had two completely false "early labors" before Friday so I thought she was coming early. She ended up coming on my due date though. Each false labor I had was a bout of approximately 4 hours of contractions that were irregular and just went away. That's a lot of hours to lead up to nothing, but it happens.

Friday I had woken up at 6am to very regular contractions. I timed them with my handy dandy internet timer and found that they were lasting ten minutes apart for the first hour. They were painful to the point where I had to concentrate on them, but I wasn't to the point of using breathing methods etc. This passed but came and went throughout the day making sleep almost impossible. Then come Friday 1am/saturday morning (before I had even went to bed) I got stuck awake to more painful and closer together contractions (five minutes apart, one minute long) I did this alone for about 3 hours when I decided to wake up my husband because the mw said to call when I was at 1min long contractions, 5 minutes apart for at least one hour. Surely 3 hours counted and by the time I woke him up my contractions were becoming 3-4 minutes apart and very painful. I was breathing through them and getting serious. So he called the midwife, she said to come in and went in at 5am or so. We were sent home because my cervix was not making a lot of progress. She confirmed my bloody show and a couple cm dilation. I was frustrated as my contractions were regular, I was in pain and basically being told "you ain't seen nothing yet" Also at this point I had been up for 24 and was worried this was my 3rd false labor.

So saturday morning we went home, "I slept through" contractions (which really means sleeping between them. I know that now) for 5 hours. we both woke up at noon to another long day of contractions. same pattern as the day before. mostly regular, occasional hour or so that would be off, but by 4pm we were on totally regular 5 minute apart contractions again that were lasting one minute. I took this for as long as I could. We called midwife at 8pm when they were becoming so painful that I needed to hear I was making progress. I was to the point of tears thinking that I'd go in and hear "2cm" My husband saw I needed some reassurance so we agreed we should go in. I got there at 9pm, she did a check... 6cm thank god. by this point mind you, i'd been having contractions for 39 hours.

Now even though I was in serious pain... more pain than I'd ever believed my contractions were going to build up to, I was confident and excited again. I breathed through each contraction very intensely. My husband and I got into a routine of me burying my head in his chest, standing up and I would rock slightly as I fanned myself. This was my main contraction position. Previous to this I hadn't needed him and stood up whilst using something about waist level to put my hand on giving me a slight ben in my waist. anyhow, 3 hours of this and we did another cevix check. midwife said she thought i might be fully dilated but needed to break my water to be certain as it was "slowing" me down. so I let her at midnight... only 8cm

Then came transition time aka (8-10cm) Holy Hell was this painful, especially without water bag I had even more pressure. The pain was almost unbearable and I was in and out of the hot tub...but what was really bothering me is that she said it would only last a tiny bit before I felt the need to push. I didn't feel the need to push it was going on 3am. That's about 3 hours of transition. So finally I decided I'd see what happened if I just did push.... well nothing happened really. She came in at 4am, did a check, said i was fully dilated and thus made me start pushing with each contraction. I pushed for 2 hrs ten minutes.

Pushing was so intense. I had absolutely no energy as this was officially 48 hours since it all began, unmedicated, the world's longest transition period and a pretty big baby for my size. they said her cord being wrapped around her neck may have slowed things down also. each time i was told. "that's it, more strength there, on more just like that, push" etc. in my head i was thinking "ladies, that's all i got" and it really was all I had until my husband saw our baby's head and I thought okay, I have to get her out. I had 3 reasons for thinking this 1. I couldn't bear to be in labor another second. 2. i wanted to see my baby and 3. I wanted to make my husband proud. in that order i would concentrate and I pushed past contractions even. I just wanted her out! finally, the ring of fire. I felt her little head come out of me. The ring of fire hurt about 100% less than I expected and was far better a sensation than contractions. next contraction and push came her body and she was on my chest slimy, warm and cute.

I felt instant love for her, but the truth is the highest sense of feeling I had was relief from pain and exhaustion. She was great for the most part but as she wasn't crying and breathing heavily... for an hour, we ended up at the hospital for oxygen assistance. she weighed in at 7lbs 12oz born at 6am on sunday morning. we can't take her home till tuesday morning (procedures blech!) but i can nurse her today and she seems happy. we haven't left her side.

aww what a great birthing story well done hunni u did good xxx

Well done babe, nice birth story enjoy little one :) xx

Congratulations xx :flower:

Very well done - what an achievement! Congratulations! x

what a warrior you are labouring for so long and getting through without pain relief. Congrats on the birth of Rati!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->