Hand me downs

We pass alot down to dd from ds. Alot of the time she helps herself to his clothes. Today I'm sorting the kids clothes. Anything ds has outgrown goes into a pile, dd can then pick what she wants out of there, anything she doesn't want gets passed onto my uncles boys. DD gets plenty of her own clothes, too many infact, but she likes superheros and ds has some bits that dd loves.

A large portion of my son's wardrobe is hand-me-downs from his sister. They're far apart enough that things aren't going straight from Violet to Leo. I have to save them for a while. She probably would be upset if they went straight from her to him though. I was the youngest in my house (older sisters are twins) and I would get hand-me-downs and it wasn't an issue for anyone. It helps if new things are also mixed in.

My older sisters are twins too and I thought the hand me downs were awesome because I would often get two of something that I really liked!

My two youngests will be 13 months apart but one is a girl and the other a boy. If they were the same sex or if the clothes were at all neutral then I would definitely pass down DD's clothes. Would be nonsensical IMO to bin them and buy all new for the sake of it. If when they were older they expressed they didn't want to wear hand me downs then of course I would stop and let them choose their own but I definitely don't see the harm whilst they're young and don't know any better or care.

I will definitely be passing toys etc down which isn't much different because it's still having "someone else's" stuff

I have got one kid, so no direct hand me downs, but i often buy second hand clothes at classified boards :)

I have two boys two years apart & I save everything, literally everything good condition or not. I still buy ds2 new stuff too, his wardrobe is much fuller than ds1 who gets bought all brand new stuff. I tend to keep everything because I know at some point ds2 will need the scruffy clothes, we have an allotment & I put the well worn stuff on him then. It makes me feel better as I know how much clothes cost me.

Once ds2 has grown out of hand me downs I do tend to get rid or sell it on if it's in really good condition. I don't think I could put a 3rd child in the same items.

Ds2 loves getting hand me downs because he is in to similar interests as ds1, he's loving all the Spider-Man stuff right now that was DS1's. They are in totally different sizes though, ds1 moves through clothing size at the stage for his age, so at age 6 he moved into age 6-7. My youngest though is very petite & tends to stay in a size clothing for much longer, he's Ben in age 2-3 for 18 months now.

I wasn't a big fan of hand me downs esp if I'd already owned the same item ie if we'd been bought matching outfits sis would outgrow I then hated inheriting the outfit. However I also had a fair chunk of new stuff.

Most off the hand me downs were treated as clothes for out playing in or spares for school.

I have kept most of DS's baby clothes, but only stuff that still looks good. Not much has been kept since he was 18 moths

Having another girl so the clothes are going to be great hand me downs. I just removed the ones with stains. I won't be doing hand me downs when they are older though. Just as babies for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->