Handling the "BF'ing" question at work?

cutieq

Reaction score
I go back to work in 2 weeks. My manager has already emailed me about the quiet room and how supportive she will be of me pumping. Well, BF didn't work out for us, so I won't be pumping. Any ideas on how to respond to her and address the breastfeeding question?

I really feel like my boobs are noone's business, but I know "do you need to pump" "oh are you going to go pump" etc will come up and I'd like to nip it in the bud once and for all.

I think just say thanks, that's incredibly thoughtful (because it is!) but I won't be pumping when I come back, but really appreciate the offer. I think that's actually incredibly awesome because so many women get bullied and threatened with losing their jobs for asking to pump at work, so the fact she's gone out of her way to make you feel comfortable if you did need that time is great. I wouldn't take it as a slight to your choice to formula feed or feel uncomfortable about it. Just say thanks, but I'm sorted, but I really appreciate you thinking of me. I think that will be fine. You're lucky to have such a supportive boss though and it's a good sign that she'll be supportive of other things you'll need from her as a working parent, so I'd see it as a positive.

When people ask me about BF, I just say, "I'm not breastfeeding anymore, but..." (because that's true, I'm not). I think anyone who probes beyond that about your breastfeeding choices once you've expressed that you aren't is out of place. Most people talk to me as if I obviously breastfed my daughter (I did for the first 2.5 months) because I'm a big supporter of breastfeeding and natural parenting in general, but when I tell people that I'm not anymore, I've never had anyone say anything that wasn't supportive.

this is a fantastic answer! My manager is very supportive and will be ongoing. I'm still sensitive to the fact that it didn't work out for us and I'd rather nip it in the bud early with no additional questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->