Has anybody used gas and air?

MyFavSurprise

Reaction score
I've just been informed that it's newly offered as an alternative pain relief option at my hospital. Has anybody used this to get though labor? I'm hoping to avoid the epidural this time and interested in the gas and air or IV pain meds.

I did my previous 2 labours with just gas and air :) just makes u feel a little high haha lightheaded And thirsty but defd good pain relief xx

Yep with all 3 that's all i had. If its turned down too low it doesn't help much but when its up high its great but does make you feel spacey/drunk but wears right off after you stop puffing on it :)

I used gas and air. I didn't think it worked but then I had an epidural and I was still quite high from it once the pain disappeared.
However I had a back to back labour with continuous contractions from 2.5 cms so it was a long slow painful labour.

I used it with my two little ones, i don't much like it, but it helps to concentrate your breathing......

I just had gas and air last time. It made me feel drunk and gave me something to focus on.

Very interesting, I like the idea that it wears off when you stop using it unlike the IV meds, though I've been put on IV meds my fair share and am not sensitive to them so much at this point... im afraid it wouldn't be enough though also

I also had continuous contractions with my first and it was horrendous, no breathing break in between the awful pain..I hope this one is not the same experience!

Oh yes! Love gas and air, asked to use it even after while they were doing stiches:) not sure about pain releief, but as others say makes you high plus for me it was something i could concentrate on and bite into when really painful.
I also hadshot of pethadine, dont reccomend that

Very interesting, I like the idea that it wears off when you stop using it unlike the IV meds, though I've been put on IV meds my fair share and am not sensitive to them so much at this point... im afraid it wouldn't be enough though also

I also had continuous contractions with my first and it was horrendous, no breathing break in between the awful pain..I hope this one is not the same experience!

If this happens to you again, ask for pethadine it will regulate the contractions so they actually do something and stop you becoming exhausted

I'm hoping this one isn't the same too for either of us :) That no break between contractions is hard.

Yes, I loved it. I still got an epidural later but absolutely recommend gas and air.

I had gas and air in my first labour and it worked ok in the early stages but then I found it wasn't enough the stronger the contractions got so I ended up having pethadine which made me sick and finally had the epidural. The gas and air made me giggle at first but then it just made me thirsty and talk with a deep voice which made everyone else giggle lol I'd would definitely recommend trying it, it's enough for some women just not for me (I'm a wimp) x

Yeah I did 15 hours back to back on a tens machine and gas and air! (Had pethidine for a 2 hour break!)
I didn't really like it, made me feel a bit sick but it really gave me something to concentrate on!
I was very stubborn and wasn't getting am epidural no matter what, I'm terrified of them going wrong lol!

I loved gas and air. With my second and third babies I did my whole labour on g&a alone. With my fourth I got to 5 cms but then gave in and had an epidural because the contractions were just too strong with the drip (I was induced)

So IMO if it's a naturally progressing labour gas and air is great. If it's induction then no way!! This is just me though. I've read that lots of women on here have had the drip from hell on just g&a alone and I salute them!!!

Yep with my last two labours only used gas and air.. Does make u thirsty and a little spacey but takes the edge off the pain and helps breathing and focus xx

I used it with both, but with my second i used it more for getting stitched up :rofl: I was so frustrated and annoyed by that point, i just wanted to chill lol

I was induced last time and had just gas and air, my TENs machine and 2 paracetamol!
The gas and air made me a little loopy at times and they took it off me during pushing so I would listen to them and concentrate.
Not sure what I will do this time, if I need an epidural then I will get one. I tend to avoid IV medication as I don't want it to effect baby.

I had gas and air as my only pain relief for all three of my labours and it's what I will use again this time too, it takes the edge off the pain and makes you feel a little tipsy, what I love about it is as soon as you stop using it it's out of your system and your back to normal again! Plus biting on the mouthpiece is great when your pushing lol, the downside is it dries your mouth out so much!! I think other pain reliefs would be better at making the pain less but I find gas and air is enough to get me through and cope with the pain

Is it the same as laughing gas?? I had that with a root canal and it was nice but can't imagine just that at labour!

I had an epidural last time but I used the gas and air while I was waiting for the epidural and when I was having stitches. I don't think it helped too much with the contractions, but it did make me feel quite drunk and out of it, it was a really weird feeling but soon wore off. And it gave me a really dry mouth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->