Has anybody used gas and air?

Ove gas and air and have used it with all 6- it was enough for me but I only have short (but intense!) labours.

I love that I'm in control of it and that as soon as you stop using it, it's out of your system.
I also like the nice drunk feeling it gives you. Only 'bad' think I foibd is that it gives me a really dry mouth and throat but that's it. I can't think of any other downside to it at all. I'm surprised other countries don't use it.

I used just G&A the last time and found it amazing. Used it from 8cm and they told me to use it for the stitches afterwards as well. Wears off so fast, kept forgetting and stopped taking it once pain went away, it would then wear off and pain would just hit all of a sudden. I found my lips completely dried out/chapped after using it for an hour or two so lip balm is a must on my labour bag list this time!

I know it's not for everyone but defo worth a try IMO!

I swear by gas and air. Will not have an epidural unless absolutely needed and no needles thank you!

There is definitely a knack to using it though. Start taking it once you begin to feel the contraction building up and then just as it reaches its peaks shorter breaths otherwise it does tend to make you feel a little sick and out of control x

It's very common pain relief during labour in the UK. I loved it last time! Will be using it again this time I'm sure.

Its a must for me :) G&A, the birth ball and some really good dancey music on the headphones, disco was brilliant lol. Its like being 16 and sneaking that bottle of cider feeling with your mates!

Love gas and air, entonox, laughing gas whatever you want to call it. It detaches me from the pain and my mind can focus on what I need to do rather than just reacting to the pain. What worked for me is as you start to feel a contraction build take a couple of deep breaths on the gas and then it eases off as the contraction eases with your out breaths.
After being all over the place with my first after being given pethidine (I can't really remember much either) I have such clarity around my son's birth it's brilliant :) looking forward to just gas and air and a water birth this time :) good luck!

Loved it. Got through my last labour with just it and a TENS machine.

Hi
I had pethidine to get to 8cm then gas and air when pushing and after with placenta and stitches. Make sure they turn it up, to start with it was on low and didn't do much. You really have to breathe deeply or it won't work. Makes you soooooooo thirsty, recommend loads of carton drinks, easy for oh to hold for you and feel useful!
Xx

For most air and air is a great option. Sadly for me ut lead to profuse vomit and dehydration that halted my labour. This isn't necessarily a common reaction but I thought it was worth mentioning.

For most air and air is a great option. Sadly for me ut lead to profuse vomit and dehydration that halted my labour. This isn't necessarily a common reaction but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Oh no that sounds horrible! I've been worried about that when thinking about using it.. Did the reaction happen right away or over time?

Its a must for me :) G&A, the birth ball and some really good dancey music on the headphones, disco was brilliant lol. Its like being 16 and sneaking that bottle of cider feeling with your mates!

Lol I must try this. They now have birthing balls at the hospital I'm going to. They didn't last time.

Oh no that sounds horrible! I've been worried about that when thinking about using it.. Did the reaction happen right away or over time?

Sadly it happened with time, hence it was too late to do anything about it once it was noticed. It isn't that common for it to happen though. I have been advised I can use it right at the end to push this time but not to use it before.

I had gas and air with my first but I was induced and had the dreaded drip so ended up with the epidural, when I had my miscarriage and had to be rushed to hospital I was on gas and air tbf I love the stuff and I almost drained the bottle while in a&e

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->