has anyone been told they have blocked fallopian tubes?

summerrose

mother of 2 boys
Reaction score
hello. i went for a hycosy but they wouldnt do it because when they scanned me she saw i had fluid in my fallopian tube. i have just been to see the gyno and he is sending me for lap and dye. he also said that if my tubes are blocked then the next step is ivf which i am not entitled too because i already have 2 children.
has anyone ever got pregnant after been told their tubes are blocked?
is there no hope? is ivf my only option?
thanks xx

Hi there,

I am not sure if blocked tubes can be diagnosed with scan. Its either HSG or lap and dye that can ascertain the condition of the tubes. What I understand from your post is that they refused to do an HSG because they suspect that you might have fluid in the tubes? But I think that is highly unlikely to diagnose only through a scan. I was diagnosed with bilateral blocked tubes via HSG. Thereafter I went for a lap and thankfully both my tubes were unblocked. I know of many women whose tubes have been unblocked through lap/hydrotubation/recanulation(sp?). I am hoping that lap and dye is going to unblock your tubes.Good luck.

hello anne24,
thankyou for your reply. i feel a little more hopeful now! thanks.
i really hope that the lap and dye unblocks them too. its just very frustrating that the doctors never really have any answers for me.
best wishes x

Im in the process of getting an appointment to got through my results with a fine tooth comb, as now I am armed with better knowledge.
I didn't ask any questions when I finally got my results.

My experience was terrible at hospital.... the doctor didn't come and see me after my op...
I had to wait 2 long weeks for results by me ringing his PA!
I was referred back to hospital to explain my results... I was still in a state of shock I got shown my photos and told even tho both tubes are blocked at distal end not to worry as thy can do some amazing things... so i left happy & hopeful.

My next appointment was with the IVF clinic at the SAME hospital, just different unit...
I arrived at my IVF appointment happy and hopeful I was so wrong!
The IVF doctor refused to see me and it was a nurse that sat me down to explain to me there is nothing he will do for you because you have a daughter (not my hubbys) my hubby has no children i explained....
This doesn't matter.... He will not do anything for you....
I was a mess when I left the IVF unit...
I had to to all my appointments & operation on my own due to my hubby not being able to get time off work...

Since getting over my shock and doing lots of research I have read similar horror stories that here in the UK Doctors are very quick to get you on to IVF because you PAY for it!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

So I now have no faith in western medicine as all I have left is natural healing and my faith....
The only thing Im going to push for is a HSG as I have been swatting up on it and because I will awake during procedure so I feel Im in control.

I live in hope that my Dr are wrong and I did have a little trickle of dye or I had spasm during dye test.

Another strange thing.... I had no dye on my underwear after or on my bottom...
AND I was on my period the morning of opp as I came on an hour before opp (sorry tmi)
Doctor still said I was fine to go ahead as I was due to go down to theater...

I have also bought a CBFM to start tracking my cycle Im hoping that with my herbs and healing we might have better chances as I believe my blockage is not a true block and could be light scaring and gunk? sorry tmi.
I will be posting my results good or bad as It may help another further down the line...

Best of luck to you all... sending love light & baby dust xxx

Blocked tubes cannot be diagnosed with an ultrasound and they absolutely cannot tell what they are blocked with! The only way to know is to have an HSG done. If it is only fluid, odds are they can clear it out during the HSG. (I have had this exact thing done.)

It almost sounds like they are just trying to sell you IVF! I would steer clear of this doctor and find a new one!

Copied & pasted from another forum
PLEASE READ!!!
Exclamation Anyone that's been told they have blocked tubes please READ this!
Hello Ladies,

This is long but please read. I'd love to hear your thoughts. You will be floored when you read this! I'm a newbie here and would love to make new friends

I just joined this website yesterday. I have had a terrible last 9 months. I want to share my story with all of you so no one else goes through what I did.

November 08-Jan 09 and June 2009-Oct 2009 we tried on our own (There was Feb-May 08 that we couldnt try on our own due to another long story). So basically we had tried around 7 months on our own. 4 of those months were trying really hard (Fertility monitor and 2 rounds of clomid). I was just anxious to get pregnant. We had no real reasons at this point to think we were infertile. I'm the type that wants what I want yesterday, lol.

So anyway.. November 2009 I went to see my OBGYN because we had always been concerned I had ENDO. Basically because alot of my family members had it and I was always worried I had it because of terrible period cramps. With me being 27 I was concerned also. My gyno sent me to a reproductive endocrinoligist (internal referral at the same hospital). I see Dr. A (that's what we will call him even though I want to curse) late November 09. He does a 2 second pelvic exam and tells me he thinks I have endo. ***Keep in mind we already had a sperm analysis before this consult that was 220billion sperm count, decent motility, and low morphology. So I went to see Dr. A with a male factor infertility diagnosis in my head. So I of course start crying when he tells me I have endo. He schedules a laparoscopic surgery and hysteroscopy for December 5th. Post surgery he tells me that I have a BILATERAL proximal tubal occlusion meaning both tubes are blocked. He also tells me that I have Stage II endo and that he lasered what he could out. He said it was superficial on both ovaries and behind my rectum. My world is crushed. I am soo sooooo sad. I ask him bedside after surgery if we could schedule an HSG (I had already read all the clinical trials and knew that a abnormal tube finding during LAP/hystero should be followed up with an HSG. HSG should have been done in case I spasmed during surgery OR my lining was thick at the time and covered the tubes. He tells me that an HSG is NOT neccesary in my case because we know they are blocked. I again ask in the post op visit 2 weeks later if we could do an HSG. He again blows me off. I ask him if my tubes look normal from the outside during surgery. He says yes. And I said "so if they aren't hydrosalpinx how do we know they are blocked for sure without doing an HSG?" He says "In your case it could have been a congenital birth defect and they are just BLOCKED" He tells me IVF is our only option to get a baby. So we go on into IVF in Feb/March. Fresh cycle goes great. We get 14 eggs and 6 make it to really great graded embryos. We put 3 in on our 1st IVF with a negative pregnancy test. 2nd IVF is an FET in May 2010 and we again get a negative pregnancy test. He was a terrible IVF doc. He never did any baseline tests on hormones OR lining. I kept asking over and over and was continually treated like one of the cows in the herd. For the first IVF cycle I was on Lupron from Jan 20th to March 10th. WAY too long to be on LUPRON! My poor lil eggs were probabably fried and never had much of a chance even though they fertilized. So anywho.. over the course of our terrible IVF cycles I started getting suspicious and refused to do another fresh cycle with this Dr. A. So I got a second opinion in a town about 80 miles from where I live in July 2010. I go in thinking I'm gonna do IVF with this new doc. we will call new doc Dr. N. Because at this time I still thought my tubes were blocked. I just got a second opinion because I knew Dr. A's methods with IVF were terrible. I take all of my records to Dr. N. He spent about 3 hours with me in a consult. Very nice and thorough. He spent more time with me that day than Dr. A has adding up all the time total I've ever spent with dr. A. So... Dr. N is looking through my records and says "I dont think your tubes are blocked. I see nothing in this operative report that tells me I think your tubes are blocked.". I about fell out of my **** chair. Dr. N continues "In the LAP findings it says your tubes appear normal from the outside but they couldnt get the dye to go through them". He said "there is a 90% chance your tubes arent blocked". So he scheduled an HSG for the 13th and a pending LAP for the 20th depending on HSG results. Here are the results:
Aug 13th 2010-HSG-Normal results. Dye goes through both tubes (so definatley not a proximal blockage). One tube looks slightly suspicious on the distal end so we continue with the scheduled lap
Aug 20th- LAP with Divenchi robot- OPEN TUBES (PRAISE MY ALMIGHTY GOD) and NO ENDOmeteriosis!!

***********I just wanted to share my story on as many boards as possible to help others. Infertility and especially tube blockage is almost NEVER black and white. There are alot of gray areas. And unfortunatley some doctors take advantage of us. Always get a seconds opinion if you question your diagnosis/doctor at all**************

I think this doctor really thought I wiould get pregnant with IVF and would never question him. But his methods for IVF suck! His success rates on the CDC.gov which were released AFTER I had already done the two cycles with him are 15%!!!!!!!!!! That is freaking pitiful!

******Our Plan now is to try on our own for a couple cycles and possibly do an IUI next month to increase our chances.
Does anyone have any suggestions for us? Should I try IUI natural or do hormones too? we have money on our FSA we need to use before the end of the year so I am open to just about anything. I also have a box of 300IU Follistim left in the fridge (never opened). Wonder if I can use that?

*This post was from 2011 and had successful live birth.
I look forward to your comments,
Kind regards Queenofwands. X

Summerrose, they cannot tell you, you have blocked tubes on a scan. I'm surprised that they didn't do a HSG or lap test to make sure. I had HSG test done this summer to find out my tubes are damaged, so my only option is IVF. But I would definitely ask for a HSG test if that dr won't do it go to a different. Fingers crossed that everything works out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->