Has anyone conceived whilst partner on anti-depressants (Venlafaxine particularly)?

iloveblue

Reaction score
Hi

My husband is on Venlafaxine (Effexor) and I have just miscarried my third pregnancy in 8 months.
The first was in October 2010 at 20 weeks, the second in Feb 2011 at 7/8 weeks and this one was just last week at about 9 weeks. All very different experiences.

We have been referred to our local recurrent mc unit for testing.
I have two boys aged 4 and 6 – had no problems in either pregnancy.
I’m aware that there are many things that could be causing these mc’s, including NK cells, blood clotting etc – I also know that I’m now unwilling to accept the ‘bad luck’ theory.

I recently came across this article
https://www.cchrint.org/tag/venlafaxine/
which is based on a study completed last year which found that women on Venlafaxine were 110% more likely to miscarry. Now, that seems extremely high to me, and I can’t help thinking that if it affects women in that way surely it must have a negative affect on sperm. My husband started taking it after our second son was born.

I’ve also found this
https://www.gponline.com/News/article/603012/antidepressants-cause-male-infertility/
which says that yes, it can affect sperm motility, but it doesn’t say anything about damaging sperm or causing miscarriage. There seems to be very little research done into the whole area.

So, I’m trying to do my own anecdotal research.
If you have conceived while your husband/partner has been taking Venlafaxine (Effexor) or any other SNRI for that matter, I would love to hear how your pregnancy proceeded.

I have posted this in the miscarriage section but also wanted to see if anyone has had a successful pregnancy in this situation.

Thank-you so much

Hopefully you still use this forum, just wondering if you had any success TTC with your hubby on EFFEXOR.
We are TTC & my husband is also on Effexor & has been for over 10 years. We haven't been having much luck yet & I miscarried in 08 early but it could have been because it was my 1st time being preggo.
Effexor has had a MAJOR effect on his sex drive & I read that article about affecting sperm mobility & shape also so if its affected his sex drive this much im sure it has done damage to his sperm also.

We have a doctors appointment to talk about switching to another anti-depressant & TTC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->