Has anyone cut out coffee because of caffeine to help with TTC?

keepfaith17

Reaction score
I read online that you shouldnt consume over a cup of coffee while pregnant and that even if you're trying to conceive you should shy away from coffee because in one study found that women who consumed more than the equivalent of one cup of coffee per day were half as likely to become pregnant, per cycle, as women who drank less.

i am currently a heavy coffee drinker, and since im back to day 1 i was wondering if anyone noticed decreasing caffeine helped because im thinking about giving it a shot on January's cycle :coffee:

I used to drink quite a bit of caffeine and quit it totally a couple years ago. I still haven’t got a baby but fell pregnant a year after stopping it - not sure whether it was that or other lifestyle changes I made though to be honest. Although I’d recommend stopping it anyway as I feel so much better without it - I was badly addicted and had a horrible three day withdrawal headache which made me want to die! I wouldn’t want to go through that withdrawal when pregnant, and anything that can make you feel like that is not good! I feel so much better without caffeine!

I read the same thing! Before TTC, I was drinking about 2-3 (8oz) cups of coffee a day. Now I've (mostly) cut out coffee and am sticking to a couple of cups of green or black tea a day. I did this for my last cycle too and still no BFP so I can't say that it did or didn't make any difference since the end result was still the same. I usually err on the side of "scientists are pretty smart people" though and will be keeping a tight limit on my caffeine intake this cycle too.

I read the same thing! Before TTC, I was drinking about 2-3 (8oz) cups of coffee a day. Now I've (mostly) cut out coffee and am sticking to a couple of cups of green or black tea a day. I did this for my last cycle too and still no BFP so I can't say that it did or didn't make any difference since the end result was still the same. I usually err on the side of "scientists are pretty smart people" though and will be keeping a tight limit on my caffeine intake this cycle too.
OK when I was ttc my dd I was completely off of caffeine for over a year. Switched to tea and everything a few months before we started ttc. I might have had a few days where I slipped and had some but it still took 10 months to get my bfp and then while pregnant I had some like 16 Oz or less of coffee every once in a while. My honest opinion at this point is there are a lot of women who get pregnant while drinking or using drugs or without taking folic acid for at least several weeks prior to conception. I am currently ttc no 2 and will drink maybe 16 Oz of caffeine each day. That is only coffee I don't drink any other caffinated beverages if I have coffee and will not have coffee if I have something else. I think it's not so much coffee but that caffeine is an adrenalin inducer as well as a diretic sp?? Meaning it cases you to go to the bathroom and can dehydrate you so make sure you drink a lot of water. I need to do better at that too.....

OK when I was ttc my dd I was completely off of caffeine for over a year. Switched to tea and everything a few months before we started ttc. I might have had a few days where I slipped and had some but it still took 10 months to get my bfp and then while pregnant I had some like 16 Oz or less of coffee every once in a while. My honest opinion at this point is there are a lot of women who get pregnant while drinking or using drugs or without taking folic acid for at least several weeks prior to conception. I am currently ttc no 2 and will drink maybe 16 Oz of caffeine each day. That is only coffee I don't drink any other caffinated beverages if I have coffee and will not have coffee if I have something else. I think it's not so much coffee but that caffeine is an adrenalin inducer as well as a diretic sp?? Meaning it cases you to go to the bathroom and can dehydrate you so make sure you drink a lot of water. I need to do better at that too.....

That makes total sense! I think I want to read more about what effect caffeine actually has. I mean, I know that it is bad for you in general to drink too much coffee because it taxes your adrenal glands and your brain gets addicted to it. But I don't know exactly how the "1 cup" rule came to be and how caffeine intake relates to chances of conception. Hmmm... :-k

It opens your blood vessels and can increase some hormones in your brain. I think when ttc the one cup is equal to 200 or 300 MG of caffeine and was recommended because you can eat that much in chocolate or green teas if you have several per day so it's not as harmful to a growing fetus as say 10 redbulls would be. You have to think about the fact a young fetus like first several weeks is developing blood vessels and a heart and other organs and might not respond well to it but I haven't heard it to affect ttc unless your dh is drinking several energy drinks and coffee I know that can affect sperm production.

I stopped coffee and swapped to tea but I can't remember why

I stopped drinking cos of ttc and healthy issues

I switched to decaf but not because of TTC but because of heart palpitations. I was having them at one point in 2016 and researched and it said coffee could be reason (tho now I think it was mostly stress) But anyways, I switched to decaf and even tho it has some caffeine in it, I only drink like one cup a day so no biggie. As somebody pointed out, there are girls partying and doing drugs and alcohol and don't even plan to stay preggo and they do, so one cup of decaf probably means nothing.

Decaf has caffeine in it? What's the point in it being decaf? I don't understand. Have they been lying to me all this time?

I only have one cup a day but it's more of a... ritual? for me than anything else.
I always start the day with a cup of tea, followed by a cup of coffee (or a cappuccino/latte... so long as it comes from the Tassimo machine :blush: ). My mouth feels like foam until I've had it :dohh:

I have been worrying about would I need to cut it out during pregnancy, but I hadn't considered whether it could do any harm before conception :shrug:

I think for the most part having a cup of coffee isn't going to do much, if any harm. I didn't drink coffee during my pregnancies because I went off it completely

Some teas have just as much caffeine as a cup of coffee, so be mindful if you're switching. Herbal teas without actual tea leaf are typically okay, but some herbs are unsafe for TTC or during certain times of your pregnancy, so that's another thing to be cautious about.

I did give up coffee while TTC DS, but because it was causing some health issues for me. I switched to tea, and kept it to a few cups a day. This time, I am still drinking my coffee, but limiting myself to 1-2 cups a day.

^Yes! Like raspberry leaf tea. Good for up to ovulation but should be stopped after.
I switched to regular tea, which has less caffeine in it than coffee, but I only have one cup each day first thing because I find more caffeine than this triggers my anxiety.
Someone a while ago linked a few pages as to why drinking coffee wasn't good for ttc and it wasn't just about caffeine, there was something about switching to tea and I can't remember why which is annoying! I also can't remember what the thread was :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->