Has anyone had a filling or a tooth out whilst pregnant?

Misstink

Reaction score
I broke my tooth a few years ago, yes i know, i shouldve got it seen to straight away but im petrified of dentists, anyhoo, my filling has also come out so i have been in absolute agony, which along with my ms has made it virtually impossible to eat anything, im off to the dentist at 3-30pm, my oh made the appointment for me and told them i was pregnant, will he be able to take it out safely or will he just do a repair job for now? I was going to wait till 2nd tri but im in so much pain and if it gets infected then its a huge risk to my baby!!
God im petrified, im shaking and nearly crying now, dont have to go till 3-30pm!! What a wump ey?!!:cry:
Has anyone else had any dental work done in early pregnancy?!

xxxxxx

dentists seem to vary loads in what they are prepared to do, some will take extra care but still do all normal work, including xrays if the baby is covered and some wont touch you until after the baby is born.

I think generally though they do temp fixes. but really just depends on the dentist.

I did with this pregnancy and it was perfectly fine. I had a tooth removed. I even have some follow-up work done and my OBG gave me a dental slip for my dentist, letting him know that pretty much all they do is okay and won't harm the baby (some dentists get a bit scared treating pregnant women). I can honestly say that you should be fine. I had mine done around 6 weeks pregnant and now I'm nearly 14 weeks. :D

*Hugs* I"m terrified of the dentist, too. :) You'll feel better once it's taken care of though. Talk to your dentist, and he'll explain what they can/should do and what you're comfortable with. Good luck!

I did with this pregnancy and it was perfectly fine. I had a tooth removed. I even have some follow-up work done and my OBG gave me a dental slip for my dentist, letting him know that pretty much all they do is okay and won't harm the baby (some dentists get a bit scared treating pregnant women). I can honestly say that you should be fine. I had mine done around 6 weeks pregnant and now I'm nearly 14 weeks. :D

*Hugs* I"m terrified of the dentist, too. :) You'll feel better once it's taken care of though. Talk to your dentist, and he'll explain what they can/should do and what you're comfortable with. Good luck!

Thankyou hun!!
I feel like such a wimp, im 37 years old for gods sake, i shouldnt be frightened of the dentist!!! I just know i cant go on with this pain, its not good for me or the baby and its made worse by the fact that i cant eat anything!! I feel better knowing that there is someone else who has had a tooth out in early pregnancy!!
Is there any chance you could come with me?!!! :cry:
xxxxxx

Thankyou hun!!
I feel like such a wimp, im 37 years old for gods sake, i shouldnt be frightened of the dentist!!! I just know i cant go on with this pain, its not good for me or the baby and its made worse by the fact that i cant eat anything!! I feel better knowing that there is someone else who has had a tooth out in early pregnancy!!
Is there any chance you could come with me?!!! :cry:
xxxxxx

Haha! Sure, let me just tell my boss I need to leave to go. LOL! I wish I could go with you. *HUGS* Yeah, I'm terrified as well. My situation was exactly like yours. I had a tooth that broke ages ago but was too much of a wimp to go when it happened a couple of years ago, so of course I wait till I'm bursting with pain. But, I have to say that technology has made the experience much nicer than I remembered.

I was shaking so bad, but he was so nice and understanding. I was terrified, but I'll be honest, I felt SO much better once it was out. Just tell your dentist your fears and that you're pregnant. They gave me a long speech on dental work in pregnancy but they were so understanding. Your dentist should understand and hopefully will make it easy for you.

:hugs: I wish I could come, but I'll be there virtually. :D

I had a filling last week, and i have got a broken tooth wich needs removing but dentist just put a temporary filling in as she said she would have to do an xray wich she cant do while im pregnant. so ive just got to make do with a temporary filling till after ive had my baby and can have the tooth taken out.

I broke my tooth a few years ago, yes i know, i shouldve got it seen to straight away but im petrified of dentists, anyhoo, my filling has also come out so i have been in absolute agony, which along with my ms has made it virtually impossible to eat anything, im off to the dentist at 3-30pm, my oh made the appointment for me and told them i was pregnant, will he be able to take it out safely or will he just do a repair job for now? I was going to wait till 2nd tri but im in so much pain and if it gets infected then its a huge risk to my baby!!
God im petrified, im shaking and nearly crying now, dont have to go till 3-30pm!! What a wump ey?!!:cry:
Has anyone else had any dental work done in early pregnancy?!

xxxxxx

U are not alone! I had a wisdom tooth that broke off a few months before I got pregnant with this baby. Luckily it was not impacted so the dentist simply pulled it like a simple extraction. He numbed up my mouth but could not prescribe any painkillers since I am prego. He just told me to take tylenol & gave me antibiotics to prevent any infection that may occur. Luckily I did not have any pain or swelling.

That was at 6 weeks and I am almost 30 weeks and baby is fine and growing right on schedule.

You are going to be just fine & even better once u get that pesky tooth out. :thumbup:

i just had my infected wisdom out. I also had a fillin at 12 weeks and an xrax at 22 weeks. To look at infected wisdom tooth. An infected tooth was worse than a xray my dentist said.

Thankyou so much ladies!!
Im back from the dentist safe and sound, however, he wouldnt extract the tooth without an x-ray and he wont do an x-ray because im pregnant so he's filed it down, cleared out any infection and filled it with calcium!! It feels so much better already, the pain has gone!!
Thankyou for all of your replies!!
Green Glitter, thankyou for "virtually" holding my hand, youre a life saver!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I used to be a dental nurse. It's safe to have fillings repaired but most are reluctant to remove amalgam fillings or replace them. They usually just stick in some temporary filling and replace in the 2nd trimester - they generally avoid any major treatments during 3rd tri xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->