Has anyone had gallstones...?

MemmaJ

Reaction score
What were your symptoms...?
Since I had my baby 11 months ago, I have this pain in the right upper side of my abdomen - it's not constant, I get it maybe once or twice a day, sometimes it quite mild and just uncomfortable, sometimes it's quite bad and radiates round to my side. I know is not muscular - it's a 'deep'/internal pain and doesn't get better with change of position/stretching etc.

I know that pregnancy/having a baby increases the risk of gallstones so I mentioned this pain to my GP at my 6 week postnatal check (I'd never had it before having my baby) and asked if it might be gallstones - and he pretty much laughed and basically said I'm probably 'just tired'.
I was so embarrassed and felt so small, that I've been too scared to ever go back about it, even though it's still going on now.

I also have itchy skin sometimes (all over), feel overwhelmingly tired all the time, and have spates of having no appetite.
I gave blood recently so know that my iron levels are OK...

I'd be interested to hear people's experiences of gallstones - what were your symptoms, how was it diagnosed, was it treated, etc.

I keep debating going to the doctors but I'm worried I will be belittled again and will look like a drama queen :-(

I had them before baby but got them from the high estrogen birth control pills I was taking. The pain was awful. First it would come and go and feel like severe heartburn. I didn't know what it was and thought wow this heart burn is terrible. Then after eating chocolate junk after a sorority party the previous night, I woke up with such intense pain (throwing up, could barely stand) that I went to the ER. They did an ultrasound and saw stones and sludge. I had emergency surgery 3 days later (the surgeon didn't want it to get infected).

The pain got worse and longer each episode until I finally went to the ER. The pain was worse than contractions the day I went to the hospital.

Can they at least check your liver enzyme levels to see if they are elevated?

For me, the pain was in my chest. It was radiating from the gall bladder trying to squeeze with the stones and sludge. It's just awful and I feel for you if you have them.

I had this pain after both my babies. When Dd1 was 7 months old my doctor suggested gall bladder (so it's really crappy your doc laughed at you) I was given an ultrasound to check. They did blood tests and gave me a thorough check. No gall bladder issues. The suggestions were it could be my organs slowly moving back into place after pregnancy or it could be a food intolerance.

The pain came back with dd2 and at 8 months pp is disappearing.

Please go to a different doctor and get checked out for gall stones. It's been going on for too long. If you can afford it maybe get a private ultrasound to check.

I do find that if my diet is bad...as in high in sugar, carbs and diary I get the pain. If I avoid these foods it goes away.

I have pain around this area too. I actually went to the doctor about it today and they had a feel and said there was nothing untoward and from where the pain was it was ribcage inflammation.
It does sound like it could be gallbladder related, especially with the itching as it can affect the liver as well. I would go back to the doctor and ask to be checked again :hugs:

I've never had gallstones, but I was sick for several years after returning from a hiking/camping trip to Chili and no one could figure out what was wrong with me and treated me like it was all in my head and I was a hypochondriac. I had one doctor write me a referral to a psychologist and told me that I just like the attention I get at doctor's offices. What I learned was that you have to have a thick skin and be your own advocate. You might get belittled, but if there is something wrong inside you will know it, and no doctor can tell you it isn't real. Can you find a different doctors? If not, then go in with the resolve that you will not leave without a referral for an ultrasound (I think that is how they diagnose gallstones, I know that is how we do it in dogs and cats). Just keep pushing until you get the referral and don't take no for an answer. You might feel really silly, but 10 minutes of feeling silly is worth getting your health back. If you need to, practice what you will say before you go for the appointment. In my case I ended up switching doctors to one that recommended I make some drastic dietary changes, and 2 days on that new diet I felt better than I had in the previous 2 years. So I know it wasn't all in my head. Just be your own advocate and don't take no for an answer.

I was belittled for EIGHT years over my gallstones. I paid for two private ultrasounds in that time which showed no stones. However I went to the emergency room at the hospital 4 times in a row during year eight and they finally agreed to a (free yay) ultrasound. 14 large stones in the bladder.

A while later I still had pain, went back to the emergency room over and over again and over 40 stones of various sizes were found in the duct leading from the gallbladder. Yes, 40. The imagery of my stones is now teaching material for student doctors lol!

The procedure to remove the stones from the duct was excruciating and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. It was like the worst gallstone attack that happened over and over again, I could t breath, was on my tummy and kept vomiting. Bleh.

Anyway my point being is that I agree with standing up for yourself. If it is stones don't let it get bad like I did.

If it's gall stones, I just want to add that the surgery was easy to recovery from (especially compared to a section!) and the pain was much less after surgery. Hope you're feeling ok.

Oh gosh yes. A real easy surgery to recover from! I was at hospital about 10am and was home less than 2 hours after surgery.

I've felt amazing ever since, I had my gallbladder removed an those extra stones removed in 2013.

I had awful symptoms through-out my first pregnancy and was 'diagnosed' with gastritis several times. When dd was 5 weeks old my symptoms got beyond tolerable and i had to phone an ambulance. They told me i was having a panic attack and left me at home. 2 weeks later i had to phone an ambulance again, after one look at me i was rushed to hospital. I was in liver failure so had an emergency procedure to save me. I had to heal and clear the infection then had my gallbladder removed 8 weeks later. That was 2 years ago and despite loosing 4 stone, eating a bland/low sodium/low sugar diet i still have what i call attacks. A burning pain in my chest that goes through to my back, down under my ribs and on bad days it reaches my right shoulder.

I would insist on being seen again and try to avoid high fat food or anything with lots of sugar and salt. For me the pain of gallstones getting stuck was far worse than labour (and my first labour was horrific) Its a debilitating thing to go through and wouldnt wish it upon my worst enemy. Good luck xxx

I had awful symptoms through-out my first pregnancy and was 'diagnosed' with gastritis several times. When dd was 5 weeks old my symptoms got beyond tolerable and i had to phone an ambulance. They told me i was having a panic attack and left me at home. 2 weeks later i had to phone an ambulance again, after one look at me i was rushed to hospital. I was in liver failure so had an emergency procedure to save me. I had to heal and clear the infection then had my gallbladder removed 8 weeks later. That was 2 years ago and despite loosing 4 stone, eating a bland/low sodium/low sugar diet i still have what i call attacks. A burning pain in my chest that goes through to my back, down under my ribs and on bad days it reaches my right shoulder.

I would insist on being seen again and try to avoid high fat food or anything with lots of sugar and salt. For me the pain of gallstones getting stuck was far worse than labour (and my first labour was horrific) Its a debilitating thing to go through and wouldnt wish it upon my worst enemy. Good luck xxx

You might have stones in the bile duct, I still had attacks after my gallbladder was removed and the pain started out quite central and radiated off to the right. The does left in the duct only showed up with an MRI.

In November 2013, for a week i barely ate but i thought it was jitters from our Vow Renewal. No other symptoms.

Then on the attack night: I went to bed and woke up about 2am with extreme nausea. I took a phengran and laid back down. I tried to eat a pretzel and my body and mind literally said " do not do it".
At 5am I woke up with even worse nausea and made my way to the bathroom. i did not get sick but i couldnt get up off the floor. I actually peed myself and kept blacking out. I had NO idea what was happening. :(
I called out to Dh and we went to the hospital.

My pain was a mix of nausea, heartburn type pain and a twinge of pain right under my right breast ( where your gallbladder is).

The ER did an ultrasound and saw the gallstones. Gave me some anti nausea and fluids. Kept me 3 days. They did an MRI to confirm they werent in the duct.

I have not had any attacks since. I did not have surgery. I was told, i may have another attack, i may not. Unless it bothers me again, leave it alone and change my diet.
When i am extremely stressed or eat too much nasty food, i get the twinges and can ward it off with heartburn meds.

My advice? Get to the dr and get checked because they CAN go into your duct and that can be dangerous!

You might have stones in the bile duct, I still had attacks after my gallbladder was removed and the pain started out quite central and radiated off to the right. The does left in the duct only showed up with an MRI.

hey. Had an MRI just 2 months ago to check anatomy and it's all clear. had sphincterotomy at the time of having gallbladder removed so it's not physically possible. I had a scope just a few weeks ago that show GERD and billiary colic which are directly related to the surgery x

Teri I also have the odd 'attack' feeling sometimes and thought I had duct stones (especially while pregnant). I think my insides are just really sensitive... I'm staying away from high estrogen birth control though.

Thank you for all your replies! Some of you have had such a bad time of it that I feel silly moaning about a bit of occasional pain, haha!

I just found out I'm pregnant again a couple of days ago - bit of a shock (not planned!). So I guess it's just something I'll have to live with for a bit longer now..! :-(

Oh congrats :) thats lovely news

I would still go back to the gp so they keep note of it. I had awful attacks when pregnant which was very scary as i didnt know it was gallstones.

Good luck with your pregnancy and hopefully you dont have too many issues with that pain xxx

Well I ended up calling 111 yesterday afternoon as the pain has been becoming worse. Not bad enough to warrant an ambulance or a&e but I just didn't know what to do as I'd have to have waited 5 days to see my GP due to work.
They arranged a doctor to call me to assess over the phone, who then sent me to the 'out of hours' where I saw another doctor. She suspected maybe gallstones but didn't feel I needed admitting or anything, so told me to go to GP today to arrange blood tests and urgent scan referral.

Waited 2 hours to see a junior doctor at my surgery who was really nice and very thorough, he thought gallstones - so went off to speak to senior about how to arrange a scan. Senior came back with him and asked the same questions, felt my tummy again etc, and said it IS the symptoms of gallstones but it's quite unlikely as I'm not over 40 and I'm not overweight - so I can't have an urgent scan and I've got to wait around 4 weeks for it! :-(

Congratulations!

Sorry that the pain has got worse :hugs:

That sucks and that is such an old fashioned way of thinking! My grandmother, my mother and I all got our gallstones waaay under 40. My mother is as skinny as a rake and always has been (under 100lbs), she was a teenager when she first got the attacks. My grandma was in her early 20's and slim. I was overweight but also young, I was 23.

It's very frustrating... no blood tests mentioned either.

I feel pretty crappy today but it's hard to distinguish if it's down to this 'problem' (whatever it is), or whether it's just normal early pregnancy crapiness..!

OH was not impressed with how things went today and has booked a private scan tomorrow to check for gallstones. I am very reluctant because I will now feel like a complete plum if there's nothing there, after all this fuss... and if it's all clear, I will also feel like we've wasted that money on the scan for nothing.
Obviously 3 doctors in the last 2 days haven't been concerned so I'm starting to think there really is nothing wrong, the scan will show nothing and it's all in my head - or just something else (maybe muscular?!).

OH is a terrible worrier though and basically thinks it's better to know either way, even if there's nothing on the scan.

Those of you who've had them, were yours diagnosed by ultrasound?

I really hate how arrogant some doctors are, just because you're not overweight and 40 odd it can't be gallstones. It took me less than 2 mins of searching to find that being pregnant is one of the biggest causes of gallstones in young women of any weight. I suffered so badly with them, first attack I was 30 weeks pregnant, it took until lo was 9 months old to get keyhole surgery to remove my gallbladder and have the ducts checked.

Sorry went off on a rant!!! Yes they were found on an ultrasound, she lost count past 14 stones. Not all can be seen on ultrasound and sometimes apparently the really tiny stones aren't detected.

Please don't feel bad for getting checked, it's not nothing and gallstones are AWFUL! I went to a and e 3 times before my go finally referred me for a scan.

Good luck I hope they figure it out x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->