Has anyone had or having a homebirth who was under a consultant?

Angel2Fire

Reaction score
I told the midwife I wanted a homebirth, but she said I will have to be under a consultant because I had a c-section last time. She said ultimatly it would be the consultants decision.

Also, on the front of my pregnancy book it has tick boxes for what kind of birth you are having and she ticked my local hospital, despite me saying I want a homebirth, will this matter?

Has anyone else been under a consultant but managed to have a homebirth?

I've only had the one baby so haven't been there yet but I imagine I will be under consultant led care next time around. My home birth ended in emergency c-section but I already know I'll be attempting a home birth again. NOTHING is the consultants decision - its your body so it's your choice how you approach labour and birth. I hope some of the well-read ladies here on this subject will add their advice and knowledge!

Ultimately it's YOUR decision not the consultants. Next time you see her it might be an idea to let her know you know your rights. You can also amend your notes. She shouldn't have done that. She can note that you've discussed your preferred place if birth and that she'd like you to see a consultant but YOU decide where you give birth.

I was under a consultant for a variety of reasons which I didn't think were issues really.
I just kept saying I want a HB at every visit to the consultant and MW's. I only saw my consultant once and the other times it was stand-ins!
A lot of women opting for HB seem to then have to see a consultant for various reasons.
Obviously after a C-section there could be issues but you can still plan for a HB - millions of women have managed it!

Yes. I'm under a consultant because i am classed as 'high risk'. I'm pregnant with baby number 10, had a neonatal loss, have been Group B Strep positive and have low iron (which i am trying to up but the tabs don't seem to work for me). The consultant was not happy with my decision of a homebirth so i went to the head of midwifery and she was happy for me to go ahead once she knew i knew the risks and was making an informed choice. I have now declined to see the consultant anymore and am going ahead with my homebirth. My midwife is lovely and very happy for me to have one. :)

i am under a consultant due to having a 3rd degree tear with my last. I have expressed my interest to my midwife regarding having a home birth and she said it would not be advised due to being classed as 'high risk' (which i dont agree that i am but hey ho) But ultimately it is my decision and they have to attend.

I've lost count of how many 'high risk' home birthers we've had through these boards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->