Has anyone heard of being able to just ASK for a reassurance scan?

KahluaCupcake

Achievement Unlocked: PG
Reaction score
Last pregnancy, I was convinced something was wrong, and I was right. It'd not that getting an ultrasound can stop the inevitable, especially during the first and secone trimesters, but if I had been able to get an ultrasound, I'd have at least been prepared with her slowed heart rate, etc. Instead of brutally shocked when told she was gone.

Anyway....I know there's one of those places you can pay for a private scan near me, but they're designed as novelties and gender checks, which I can't use and don't need. It's also $69 for a quick session. While that is doable, it's also half the cost of a side sleeper or changing table...if you catch my drift. ;)

Of course my OB knows I miscarried my last and am terrified of going through it again. She was the one who performed my d&c :(
But will I get shunned away if I call up and am honest and say basically, "I'm just really nervous; I'm at the time where I lost my last pregnancy. I know I have an appointment in two weeks, but right now, two weeks seems an eternity in knowing whether I have a live baby in there or not."

I know doctors are busy, and I know I'm not the only pregnant woman out there. But it's for my own peace of mind. I'm so scared right now of finding blood. Or worse, a mmc.

I had a cervical bleed at 14wks and my (private) ob/gyn gave me a fast reassurance scan (e.g. 1 minute to show heart/baby ok)....

HOWEVER, I would book the scan asap because you are at very sensitive point in your pregnancy and need reassurance to get past a terrible 'milestone'...I waited before testing with this pregnancy as had had a mc at 7 wks and with erratic cycles, didn't/couldn't take the psychological chance that all was wrong again -- (I was pre-IVF, so was not drinking, etc.) and my GP arranged a scan for what was week 8 (but a week before the August bank holiday (early August) when I had had the mc two years before) and I was able to see proper baby and although the bank holiday was hard, I had seen my healthy baby so I felt better)....sorry if too much info, but I completely understand how you feel and I think the money is worth your peace of mind, so give the kitty a cuddle and call/make the appointment....!!!!!!

best wishes

Have you had any scans so far? If not i'd say its not unreasonable to ask for one considering your previous loss.
If you have, im not so sure if you would be offered another one inbetween just for reassurance. It won't hurt to ask though!
Do you have a doppler? If not, what about seeing if you could go for extra appointments to hear the hb?
I have a subchorionic hematoma so i keep worrying that something bad will happen but im not allowed any extra scans. My MW offered for me to go weekly to check on the hb which i personally find just as reassuring as a scan.

If all else fails, i think you should just pay the money for peace of mind, otherwise you will just worry yourself silly! :flower:

I think it depends on the Dr. Mine was great I went in @ 7w4d for my first U/S and I told the Dr how nervous I was b/c I had a mc between 8-9wks so he said he would see me 2wks later just to check things out. It was really reassuring but now I find my self going nuts waiting for my next appt :wacko:

I don't think it would hurt to ask, hopefully you have an understanding OB :)

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

As I have a history of missed miscarriage I asked for a 9 week scan this time and I got one. Didn't even have to go private for it. They agreed that it was unreasonable, on the grounds of my mental health, to go through another 3 weeks of waiting to know if the baby was dead or alive. Explain how anxious you are and the effect it is having on you and hopefully you will get taken seriously.

I have one of those private places near me too, but from everything I read on their website, I only think they do scans later in pregnancy just for pretty pictures/gender ID and they don't do earlier scans. And any normal radiology place won't do a scan without a doctors referral.. there really is no such thing as a private scan here.

It doesn't hurt to ask your OB for an early scan. Worse case scenario is they'll say no. You can tell them you're beyond stressed out and now you're afraid that all your stress will hurt the baby. Good luck :hugs:

my doctors office told me to come in anytime. they said i can pay $50 to get an ultrasound too. i think you should call, i'm sure they would understand and let you come in :) or if you think they will give you a hard time, then just say you're having a lot of pain for days and want to make sure everything is ok. that way there is a documented symptom in your chart and hopefully then insurance would pay for the scan.

Last pregnancy, I was convinced something was wrong, and I was right. It'd not that getting an ultrasound can stop the inevitable, especially during the first and secone trimesters, but if I had been able to get an ultrasound, I'd have at least been prepared with her slowed heart rate, etc. Instead of brutally shocked when told she was gone.

Anyway....I know there's one of those places you can pay for a private scan near me, but they're designed as novelties and gender checks, which I can't use and don't need. It's also $69 for a quick session. While that is doable, it's also half the cost of a side sleeper or changing table...if you catch my drift. ;)

Of course my OB knows I miscarried my last and am terrified of going through it again. She was the one who performed my d&c :(
But will I get shunned away if I call up and am honest and say basically, "I'm just really nervous; I'm at the time where I lost my last pregnancy. I know I have an appointment in two weeks, but right now, two weeks seems an eternity in knowing whether I have a live baby in there or not."

I know doctors are busy, and I know I'm not the only pregnant woman out there. But it's for my own peace of mind. I'm so scared right now of finding blood. Or worse, a mmc.

If she is a good dr then NO!! My dr does it for me...lol she is gave me one at 4wks, 5wks, and 6wks, my next one is at 10wks, then a gender prediction at 14wks. They will be doing an ultra scan every 4wks for me.

I had a MMC in March, which was diagnosed by private scan because I couldnt get an early one on nhs as no pain or bleeding :wacko:

I was told I wouldnt get an early scan this time either- because the likelihood of the same happening is minimal. I have thought of faking pain or problems but was too worried about tempting fate

My dating scan is now next week and I can't wait :happydance:

My OB did a Doppler on me yesterday...whole thing took maybe 2 minutes... He said it sounds healthy and strong and has no concerns... It was nice to hear :)
He told me I'm scheduled to start coming in once a week soon, but if I have any concerns, come in any time.
Mine seems to be concerned with not freaking me out so if there's anything he can do to keep me calm, it looks like he does it.

I know, I've thought about faking something. But that's just despicable, to lie about something like that. Especially since they'll put whatever you said on your chart. But I guess that shows how desperate we already are to be good moms. ^-^;

My schedule is crazy too. I hate to ask for reassurance and then dictate what time I can come in. I feel like it's asking for too much.

But i did have a scare the other night when I got dizzy and lightheaded while making lip balms and also accidentally inhaled sharpie marker fumes (don't ask). And my immediate thought was, oh god, did i hurt the baby?

But i did have a scare the other night when I got dizzy and lightheaded while making lip balms and also accidentally inhaled sharpie marker fumes (don't ask). And my immediate thought was, oh god, did i hurt the baby?
Oh please don't do that to yourself... If sharpie fumes cause a MC, it wasn't the sharpie... meaning, there would have been nothing you could do to prevent that MC.
My best friend who has been through many miscarriages (late ones at those) and two perfectly healthy unexplainable pregnancies... Her advice to me was "if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen".

I asked my GP if i could have an early scan because i had a mc a few months ago and he said no. I had lots of pain at 6 wks so took myself off to the emergency gynae unit at the hospital and they happily scanned me. Everything was ok and they couldnt find a reason for the pain but i cant imagine waiting the whole 12 weeks with no idea or reassurance. Waiting another 6 weeks for the dating scan has been really hard!

I don't think you will have to even beg! Just call over there and ask for one. When I went to see my OB at 6w 5d I asked if I could have a scan because I m/c'd the year before and she told me that would be fine. I also got u/s's at my next 2 appointments as well. So I have pics from 6w 5d, 9w 3d and 13w 3d. Then, my next was my 20 week scan. GL to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->