Has breastfeeding helped you lose weight?

jessicatunnel

Reaction score
My DS is only 3.5 months old and for awhile there, I was actually gaining weight! I was so disappointed because I'd read so much about breastfeeding helping you to lose weight. But today I walked into my bathroom to go potty, hah, and looked in the mirror (as you do) and realized that I've lost some weight! I was really shocked, since I've been eating like total crap lately. It literally made me perk right up. I stepped on the scale and weigh less now than I did pre pregnancy, which was even more of a shocker. I actually feel really confident in my body now. Yay for breastfeeding! :thumbup:

Have you lost weight while breastfeeding?

Quite the opposite... I always gain weight while breastfeeding, and find it much harder to manage than while pregnant. By 6-8 weeks postpartum, with both babies, I weighed more than I did during the pregnancy itself. :x

I can't say that I have lost any weight, but I don't own a scale so I don't know for sure. Just going by looks, I would say I have not..

I did not lose weight while breastfeeding. Even with portion control and exercising.

Everyone is different...glad you feel great about yourself! :D

I am the same as OP. Lost all my pregnancy weight by 1 month pp and I had gained 2 and a half stone so quite alot of weight.

Am 6 weeks pp now and weigh less than I did pre pregnancy. Just hoping I don't pile it all back on once I stop feeding!

Feeding defo works for me. I'm 2 pounds off pre preg weight and I've done nothing to deserve that, I've eaten lots of rubbish. All I've done is bf. from what I hear you lose most after the 3 month pp mark. And I know for lots it makes them so hungry they don't lose at all til they stop. Seems to really vary.

It is different for everyone. With my first I lost an excessive amount and it really messed up my supply. With my second I was back to PP weight after a few weeks, but my weight didn't drop below that. With this LO I still haven't lost that much and am not back to PP weight. Some women I know lose, but others don't lose until they stop BF.

I lost weight at first...but after awhile gsined it back after snacking and nursing!

I wish! I lost it right after and then slowly gained it all back and am now at a standstill. I am hoping once we stop BF this weight goes away!

Nope and I have never stopped breastfeeding from when I had my first. Just gained or stored fat. Dosnt work on every one :(

Last time i lost some weight but most of it after 7/8 months pp when i started exercising and eating better.
This time ive decided to eat healthier from the last few weeks and seem to have lost a few lbs i think thats dwn to diet change as opposed to bf-in. Probably because i still eat a fair amount albeit healthy. Lol

I put loads of weight on as I just ate crap. Once I got stricter with myself I lost weight. I've lost 44 lbs now :D

ETA: as of this morning I have lost 50 lbs! :D

I was back to pre pregnancy weight within 6 days. Pre pregnancy I was almost 10st and a uk 10/12. Now at 11 months I'm 7st 6lb and a uk 4/6. I do walk a lot as we don't drive, and healthyish, apart from a slight addiction to chocolate digestives!!x

I definitely got below my pre-pregnancy weight pretty quick and am still below my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm also down a size in pants. I didn't really need to lose weight before I was pregnant and finding pants is really hard because most places don't carry my size...

Great news OP :happydance:

For me it went the wrong way last time and I put on about 2 stone, I am hoping it won't happen again but assume it will :(

I lost weight Bfing, and certainly credit the result on the scales to that. i did nothing to deserve it but I easily got back to pre-prego weight. However, I only got back to pre-prego 'size' once i stopped BFing and got back to my exercising.

For me, BFing caused me to have a massive drop in blood sugar so I always had a sweet snack and water with EVERY BF, all day all night, or I would be really sick. So I lost the weight over about 9 months.

After the initial weight loss due to water and stuff, I gradually lost weight for a few months but I didn't really look any different. At 9 months, something happened and I suddenly looked 2 stone lighter without any extra weight loss - it was very weird! From then, I just maintained weight until I started trying to lose it when LO was 2.5 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->