Has it really changed that much?!

danni94

Mother of 1 soon to be 2
Reaction score
Okay, so my first midwife appointment is on Thursday, when I've spoke about this previously I was told I will not be hearing my baby's heartbeat. Only, when I was pregnant with LO, I had a midwife appointment at 4 weeks instead of 8, and at the 8 week appointment I heard the heartbeat and got my scan date. I noticed it has changed in the UK (which is where I am) but now I won't be hearing the heartbeat on Thurs? Can someone help me, little bit confused.

At 8wks your baby is so small, a Doppler wouldn't bs able to detect the hb or even reach the baby as your uterus is still firmly tucked away inside your pelvis.

NICE guidelines tell mw's not to check before 25wks (I think) but most sti check from 16wks.

I don't understand that at all, it was DEFINATELY 8 weeks with my LO when I heard her heartbeat, definately. I wouldn't forget that, so I don't understand how now, it's 'too early' to detect it, because I KNOW I heard it, :shrug: so weird.

I've never heard of a midwife checking for a heartbeat at 8 weeks, baby is still so tiny.

We heard the HB at 10 weeks on a US :shrug:

Yeah you would be able to hear it on an US but not on a doppler at that stage.

i heard my daughters heartbeat at 10 weeks via a Doppler. but midwife said that was because of my body shape, because i'm tall and thin she found it quite easily but she did warn me that she may not find it. i think thats why they don't look for it because it all depends on individuals, but if they're confident they can find it, then they do try and check.

just my experience though

I was so sure it was 8 weeks, I really don't think I'm wrong, very strange. Oh well, just means I have to wait longer this time :nope:

I didn't get to hear my LOs til about 16 weeks as mine wouldn't even try at 12 weeks so to not stress me out if we didn't find it. My mum said her midwife with one of my brothers 7 years ago tried to find a heartbeat at 9 weeks just for fun and found one! Think they should try earlier tbh and things obviously have changed over the years. Shocking it's changed that much for you though as it wasn't that long ago you were pregnant with your daughter!

I didn't get to hear my LOs til about 16 weeks as mine wouldn't even try at 12 weeks so to not stress me out if we didn't find it. My mum said her midwife with one of my brothers 7 years ago tried to find a heartbeat at 9 weeks just for fun and found one! Think they should try earlier tbh and things obviously have changed over the years. Shocking it's changed that much for you though as it wasn't that long ago you were pregnant with your daughter!

I know, can't believe it, I'm certain it was 8 weeks, that's amazing how much has changed, as it was only 2 years ago today that I was 7 weeks pregnant with LO, haha.

Maybe it's to stop women from panicking when the midwife can't find baby's heartbeat?

hasn't changed at all here. i was seen at around 8 weeks last tme and 9 weeks this time. Mw's here don't listen in till over 20 weeks 1st appointment is purely bloods and paperwork

Where I am they won't listen to the heartbeat if you're earlier than 24 weeks because they said that there's only a 50/50 chance you'll hear it and if you don't you'd just worry

When I was 7 weeks they could hear my babys heart beat, it was 132 bpm. I have no idea what a doppler is but I'm assuming its not what they do the ultrasound with?? But when they did the ultrasound for me they just pushed a button on their keyboard and we could hear the heart beat... soooo maybe at your ultrasound you'll be able to hear it :) Haha I feel like this probably didn't help at all but I hope maybe it did just a little!

We heard the heartbeat at 7 weeks 0 days last time. Not by doppler but internal ultrasound. But this time we were told at 8 weeks they wouldn't listen to the heartbeat because they didn't know the effect on the baby. So I just heard it at 14 weeks.

I SAW my baby's heart beat on a vaginal ultrasound in the emergency room at about 8 or 9 weeks - but i didn't actually get to hear it until 16 weeks! I'm from US though.

I saw my baby's heartbeat at 8+6 on the ultrasound.. but didn't get to listen until my 12 week appointment via doppler.

US here but my OBGYN checked for the heartbeat with a doppler before i went to ultrasound at my first appointment at 9 weeks. She couldn't find it with the doppler and said that everyone was different this early. It was clearly visable on the ultrasound and we got to hear it then too. It was in the 140's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->