Has the price of SMA rised or am I going to rip off shops?

Yazz_n_bump

Me, Fiancé & Jack! :)
Reaction score
Went to get Jack his normal 900G tin of SMA gold (the first one.) It's normally around £7.50 odd..... went in to the shop today and it was £8.99. :shock:
A £1.50 increase in like 5 days!! Has this happened everywhere or am I just going to rip off shops? :nope:

It's risen! Something to do with rising supply costs... Researching improved formula... New packaging... Blah blah blah...! Can't believe it went up sooooo steeply though! I managed to get 'old price' formula in Superdrug last week... May have gone up by now though!

all supermarkets have put it up, altho i was told llyods pharmacy are keepin it at the same price for now. i saw a 'new' tin of sma an they have added stuff to it like omega or sumthing xx

As the others have said the price has risen everywhere and the excuse is because of the new formula and revamped packaging! If you are interested to know what has changed about the formula I will post a reply I got from SMA when I emailed them. Will go and find it for you xx

Dear Anna,

Thank you for contacting SMA Careline.

SMA First Infant Milk with an improved vegetable oil blend will available to purchase from the end of May. This change in formulation gives a blend of different oils to ensure that it provides all of the necessary fat and the essential fatty acids for your baby, as they are not able to make some fats in their body themselves. We have similar levels of fatty acids in SMA First Infant Milk compared with those found in breast milk and now we have been able to make a further improvement to the shape of the fat so that it is more similar to that found in breast milk. This new fat blend has been shown to decrease the amount of stool soaps in a baby’s poo and also help to soften stools so they are more similar to that of a breastfed baby. In independent research infant formula with an improved fat blend similar to the one found in SMA First Infant Milk has been shown to help improve calcium absorption.

I can therefore confirm that no fish oils will be used in the new formulation. However, please be aware that both the current and the new SMA First Infant Milk unfortunately do not have vegetarian status as in the manufacture of the particular ingredient, 'whey protein concentrate (enriched with alpha-lactalbumin)', it has been necessary to use a small amount of animal rennet in the process. Although animal rennet is not an ingredient of the product, and has only been used in the manufacture of the whey protein, this makes it unsuitable for vegetarians.

I hope you find this information suitable for your needs but should you have any further questions please feel free to contact the SMA Careline again.

Kind regards,
Amanda Bryant
Consumer Relationship Manager

oh mayb i was wrong about the omega cuz thts fish oil isnt it?

i thought 2 quid was a bit steep tho :s

I don't buy SMA but I notice where I buy the formula, (Budgens) there is a £1 difference between all the different brands! Cow & Gate is £7.66, Aptamil is £8.66 and SMA is £9.66 lol

I'm sure when I bought formula for my son 2 years ago, Aptamil was more expensive and SMA & Cow & Gate were both the same price and slightly less!

oh mayb i was wrong about the omega cuz thts fish oil isnt it?

i thought 2 quid was a bit steep tho :s

Fish oil is a good source of omega but you can get it from vegetarian sources too xx

Dont forget the special leveling bar too, i told my mum about this and she said they did it before about 8/10 years ago but so many people complained because you cant get your hand in the tin to get a scoop of powder!! Lol
Xx

ohh i didnt know about tht ^^^ is it useful or not?

ohh i didnt know about tht ^^^ is it useful or not?

I havnt got a 'new' tin yet but my mum said there crap as its a bit of metal that goes across the top of the tin so you can scrape excess powder off the scoop instead of using a knife.
You cant get your hand past it to get the powder though.. So when your half way down the tin you cant reach the powder..
Xx

oh, thats a bit crap, i know another formula has a scrape thing in the corner but u can still get ya hand in.

They might have used their brains then and put it in the corner..
X

i hope so cuz i dont wanna be messin about with a scraper lol, i might keep an old tin and if the scraper is rubbish just tip my milk in there :haha:

As far as im aware they are still tins and not cardboard like others.. X

With the new leveller how are we going to reuse the tins?

No idea.. Depends where the leveler is in the tin and what it is made from.. See how easy it is to take it out. X

i cant wait to buy a tin now :haha:

will have to wait til i go shoppin :)

i get SMA from tesco here in scotland and its still about £7.50 a tin:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"