• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hating Daycare or Terrible 2s?

Ms Elizabeth

Mom to 2
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Hoping I could get some advice....

I have a 2 year old boy who had been in an at home daycare since he was 6 months old. He was basically the only child there. Then his sister was born 3 months ago. All was well. Both were happy.

Then daycare provider quit out of the blue

Fine....I want him around kids anyway.... so we found a new place. It's been 2 weeks. He screams and cries when we drop him off. When I pick him up, same thing. He acts like a total brat for 2 hours. Now, he loves being outside so maybe he's missing that time? Maybe he's missing the 1 on 1? Maybe he's unhappy there? How can we tell?

He's not really a talker yet....at least not with words you can understand. :) so I have to rely on attitude. I know it will take time to get used to a new place.... right? I just worry because he's such a loving, happy boy.

My son did this for 4 months when he was 2! He finally settled down and enjoys going most days now. I felt like it was the increase in noise and general business of daycare. Plus he wasn't very good at talking so i think it was difficult to play with other kids.

I do think it's an adjustment and phase.

thanks. That's a little promising to me! I am hoping being around kids will help his speech. He's just a late bloomer. :(

It's so heartbreaking. He's grabbing for me and I have to leave.

That sounds totally normal for such a big adjustment. Mine started earlier than that, but definitely she cried when I dropped her off and picked her up for probably 3 months. It's not that she 'hated' it. It's just a big change and they need time to transition and settle. Especially if he isn't especially verbal yet, crying is the only way he can communicate. In our case, sleep became really unsettled. I think some of that had to do just with the developmental stage she was at, but certainly is was also just because of the changes. Once she settled, it was all much smoother and she was happy again. Getting a new sibling is also a big change, so there's been a lot going on recently. I would just give it time.

Thanks. I was worried about a new sibling, but he's been amazing. He's my helper. I think that's helped. He's super protective of her at daycare. Poor guy. Just want him to say, "mom I'm happy here" or "no I'm not".

I ask "how was your day" " do you like it" but he's too busy crying. Sigh..... in time I know.....im not patient. Lol

He's also just turned 2...getting big teeth in....new daycare....

I understand there's a lot going on. Just don't want to miss the big signs of "not happy"

Picked the kids up....went better. I still don't like when he sees me turn the corner...he starts crying and banging on the glass door. I'd prefer him to be smiling and happy to see me. But anyway....I picked him up....put him the car....noticed huge scrape on his knee. UGH, why didn't she tell me? I think I am looking for too much! But really!

I use to watch my son. He'd be playing and happy, as soon as he spotted me he'd come running and whining.

I hate how often my son comes home with scrapes and bruises with no explanation. I figure now he's so active and it is no telling when it happened. My son often just brushes owies off so it's unlikely he complained to anyone.

Fabulous point. I'm sure he fell and didn't make a big fuss.

Of course, under my watch....he fellb and banged up the other knee

So..... picking him up has been soooooo much better. He's fine and excited! Dropping off... Still a nightmare. Still crying and banging on the door when I leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->