have you budgeted?

I am too scared to try and cost everything, I am just going to try and save as much as possible before trying and whilst preg and then hopfully be able to take full 52 week entitlement off work before returning and having to use nurseries etc.
I have starting to collect the odd thing here and there and hopefully it will mean a lot less to pay out when a baby is on the way!
having said that,,looking at my ticker I don't have long to go until we start TTC!! :shock:

I know they cost more initially, but we're lucky where I live as the council gives you up to £50 back when you buy the first lot. :happydance: I'm not too worried about the cost even if it worked out slightly more expensive, it's the environmental aspect that bothers me (ie when my kids have grandkids my kids own nappies would still be in a landfill somewhere). I take the point about the extra cost of washing, too, but again, I think on balance it works out better for me. I guess it's what suits the individual. I do think it'd cost me less overall, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Oh I completely agree, I just don't think they cost less. Although are they really better for the environment, I have always thought they were but then I was reading a website that said they are both equally harmful
I goth this from a website
"Generally, creating waste in landfills by using disposable diapers is no more environmentally harmful than using water and energy to wash cloth diapers," Weathers said.

So the environmental impact of cloth and disposable diapers is roughly the same unless you live in an area where water or landfill spaces is in short supply. another factor to consider is disposables tend to do a better job keeping kids dry and free from diaper rash. And they're also helpful in controlling germs.

I guess it is just going to be a decision I will have to make in the future when the time comes

i just went 'shopping' on babies r us website and added EVERYTHING i could possibly think of to the shopping basket inc. cotbed & best of the best mattress, travel system, mat. clothes, sterilisers, heart listening maching, sheets and blankets, bath, baby clothes-u name it i added it-EVEN curtains. And for absolutely everything I would need (and some things that i wouldn't need but would like i.e. breast feeding pillow, baby swinger, etc) it all came to £899 which I am delighted about as we had planned to save about £1500 for everything (not inc. maternity clothes)

I've done a little budgeting. I'm a little scared to find out the sum though lol. I figured it won't be so bad if I start buying now.

I'm ashamed to say I have stuff on the way right now so my list is a bit shorter. I guess a few less things on the list.

I may be the only one here to do this, but I want to EC and diaper part time, but it all depends on how much time I spend at home. I'd rather just not deal with diapers at all. I like some diapers that have the biodegradable inserts. It's best to do it in your yard if you have one. You can also use cloth inserts,too. Back in the old days they boiled then air dried the nappies. I suppose you could save some energy that way. Also, I found a recipe for some cheap, environmentally friendly detergent I'll have to find it again.

I hope to use a lot of reusable things that way I save $$$ in the long run

Blankets-$100
Moses basket-$100
Bfing kit-$50
Solarveil-$50
Wipes (reusable) -$50
Binder-$40
Diapers and accessories-$350
Baby bjorn-$10
carseat-$40
=$790

plus I may need a few other things and OH wants a travel system

I know they cost more initially, but we're lucky where I live as the council gives you up to £50 back when you buy the first lot. :happydance: I'm not too worried about the cost even if it worked out slightly more expensive, it's the environmental aspect that bothers me (ie when my kids have grandkids my kids own nappies would still be in a landfill somewhere). I take the point about the extra cost of washing, too, but again, I think on balance it works out better for me. I guess it's what suits the individual. I do think it'd cost me less overall, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Oh I completely agree, I just don't think they cost less. Although are they really better for the environment, I have always thought they were but then I was reading a website that said they are both equally harmful
I goth this from a website
"Generally, creating waste in landfills by using disposable diapers is no more environmentally harmful than using water and energy to wash cloth diapers," Weathers said.

So the environmental impact of cloth and disposable diapers is roughly the same unless you live in an area where water or landfill spaces is in short supply. another factor to consider is disposables tend to do a better job keeping kids dry and free from diaper rash. And they're also helpful in controlling germs.

I guess it is just going to be a decision I will have to make in the future when the time comes

Yeah, it's all very well us talking about it now but when we have ankle biters we might change our minds! The plastics in the nappies bother me too, and the chemicals, which adds to my decision. But as you say, each to their own.

Yeah, it's all very well us talking about it now but when we have ankle biters we might change our minds! The plastics in the nappies bother me too, and the chemicals, which adds to my decision. But as you say, each to their own.

Oh I for sure know about that I run an in home day care and I change probably 20-30 diapers a day. I know I want to use reuseable wipes because they are way better for babies sensitive skin.

Oh I for sure know about that I run an in home day care and I change probably 20-30 diapers a day. I know I want to use reuseable wipes because they are way better for babies sensitive skin.

I love reusable wipes. I find some really good deals on ebay.

I am thinking I am going to use re-usable wipes, but not reusable diapers. I guess I'll see when the time comes.

No i haven't started budgeting yet! I need a job before i can start putting money away, but as soon as i know my college timetable it'll be a lot easier to find one to fit in. My OH and i have a joint savings account, he says it's for a "house" but i know he means baby as he slipped up the other week and said he wanted to rent for a while lol.

My OH and I also opened up a joint savings account, putting £2/400 away a month depending on how much we can afford lol. It is generally for a mortgage, but just depends what comes along first :D
xxx

my DH is a math guy so when we decided on the date we were going to start ttc he went in to a panic for a few weeks where he put together all these lists and excel sheets to figure out how much we needed to save for me to be off for a year and how much per month it would cost for food, diaper, etc when the baby came. It was really funny, but since he is so nervous about us having a baby, I know that it was his way to be in control of something:)

my DH is a math guy so when we decided on the date we were going to start ttc he went in to a panic for a few weeks where he put together all these lists and excel sheets to figure out how much we needed to save for me to be off for a year and how much per month it would cost for food, diaper, etc when the baby came. It was really funny, but since he is so nervous about us having a baby, I know that it was his way to be in control of something:)

I think that sounds like a good idea. Maybe really putting together a serious list would help my OH a lot. He did say that one reason he was apprehensive is b/c there's not really a concrete plan.

This is so me !!!!! Lol its a bit scarey when its all down on paper!!!

the other day I was rummaging through local charity shops (I'm a student and find some amazing almost new clothes there for £2!) and I saw the baby section and decided to call my sis and see if she needed anything for her baby due on sat. I got a few things, and when I got to the counter I found it was only 20p per item! They were all in fantastic condition too. I'll be buying clothes from there, getting baby stuff on free cycle, and getting hand me downs from family.....when the day finally comes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->