• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Have you had any alcohol while breastfeeding?

Dr. Jack Newman once said this is an example of Mummy Guilt, and that the things you do can make your milk toxic to your baby. When in fact it is simply not true. You would have to drink a signifigant amount of alcohol before causing your baby any harm and by that point, your going to be too drunk to even care for your child, and that is going to be the more immediate problem.

Dr Jack Newman rocks, he says it like it is.

Jack rocks my socks off. He has such a no nonsense relaxed attitude. Love that guy! He should win a Nobel breastfeeding prize!

Just saying....beer used to be *and still is by smart doctors* prescribed in hospitals to new mums because it enhances milk production. Having a glass or two of wine is not the same as pounding back a bottle of vodka. MANY countries continue to encourage new mothers to consume red wine for the purpose of heart health, hormone regulation, and relaxation purposes. A + for alcohol on a breast milk strip can mean anything from 0.0004 ppm to MUCH higher doses.

As parents we tend to apply way to much pressure to ourselves to do "whats right" instead of following common sense, mainly because we do not want anyone else to think we "may" be bad parents. Look up why Doctors recommend what they do. It may surprise you.

Dr. Jack Newman once said this is an example of Mummy Guilt, and that the things you can do can make your milk toxic to your baby. When in fact it is simply not true. You would have to drink a signifigant amount of alcohol before causing your baby any harm and by that point, your going to be too drunk to even care for your child, and that is going to be the more immediate problem.

Dr Jack Newman rocks, he says it like it is.

That is really encouraging :). I was only going to have one glass max.

Yes, but only once we stopped co-sleeping.

I am not co sleeping but last night i fell asleep for about an hour while breastfeeding her in our bed. Another reason why would be too paranoid to drink. Am mega paranoid when she falls asleep in our bed anyway.

I have had about 5 glasses of wine in the 12 weeks since dd was born. the first 2 times I was so nervous about it, even tho I already had a frozen stash I could use if need be. I figured I'd be a complete light weight anyway from not drinking for 9 months so I took half a glass of pinot grigio and topped it off with seltzer so I had a nice wine spritzer of sorts. I then tested my breast milk both times using the test strips before I fed her again about 2 hrs later and there wasn't even a trace! I tried the same test on the later occasions using a full glass of wine with no seltzer but the test came back positive so my husband gave expressed in bottle. So for me I know I can have my " Spritzer" if I will be breastfeeding after and a regular glass if I want to give bottle for me to feel comfortable. the tests say they are super sensitive so I'm sure I would actually be fine with the trace that shows from the full glass, but I'm just not comfortable with that.

What are the tests called??

"0.1% in your blood and you are quite impaired. Yet, 0.1% in the milk is not too much for the baby. If a baby drinks 1 litre of breastmilk in 24 hours, it means that if the mother has 0.1% alcohol in her milk all day (unlikely she will drink all day and the alcohol in her blood and milk will decrease thus decrease), the baby will drink 1 ml of alcohol in the 24 hours. Far from enough to harm the baby. If the mother does drink all day, that's a problem, but not because of the alcohol in her milk."

This is a quote from Dr. Jack Newman, it is off his facebook page in response to a very heated thread that started with him posting his thoughts on those alcohol testing breast milk strips.

I've not had a single drop since I found out I was pregnant. There's a bottle of port on the cabinet that seems to call me to it... But I am resisting! I just don't like the idea of DD getting any trace of alcohol from me, but that's just my opinion. :)

I wish I could be more relaxed and enjoy a small glass!

I didn't touch alcohol while pregnant.

I've not had a single drop since I found out I was pregnant. There's a bottle of port on the cabinet that seems to call me to it... But I am resisting! I just don't like the idea of DD getting any trace of alcohol from me, but that's just my opinion. :)

I don't think that is the issue being discussed here

I have had the odd glass of wine, but no more than that. I can't remember how old LO was though when I first did, I think maybe 4 months.

I don't think that is the issue being discussed here

Yes I know. That's why I said that. Only realizing now she isn't still prego!!! My bad!!! She was just pointing out the length of time it's been since she's had a drink. Somedays I'm quicker than others! :)

my hv told me that 2 small glasses of wine of an evening is fine ( I wouldn’t say she was promoting drinking but she did tell me that I should still be able to relax and enjoy myself even though I am a mum). I don’t often drink normally the odd glass of wine every couple of weeks, but I have to admit I have just got home from a family weekend away and I have indulged more than I usually would and had a couple of glasses of wine and lemonade each night (obviously nothing excessive) and my lo is absolutely fine, if anything I felt more guilty keeping her out till late in the evenings to watch the evening entertainment than I did about having a drink! As long as you don’t drink excessively or every day of the week I see no problem in unwinding with a glass

I had my first glass of wine last night. No effects seen. I'm not to worried about a glass.

I bet it was the best tasting glass of wine ever! LOL

It was very good! Although I got lots of funny looks as I was sitting nursing DD while sipping on it. They can kiss my behind though lol!

It was very good! Although I got lots of funny looks as I was sitting nursing DD while sipping on it. They can kiss my behind though lol!

Good for you! You are doing absolutely nothing wrong! I hope you enjoyed it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->