Have you told your children what you're calling the baby?

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
I'm torn! I would like my 3yo's opinion on his sister's potential names, but I don't want him to tell anyone else! Also I don't want him to grow attached to a name and then we change our minds. But on the other hand it might be good for bonding with her and I would like to know what he thinks.

What do you think?

We told the kids F's name and it they had hated it we'd have chosen something else. Our name wasn't a secret though so I'm not sure I'd have told them if it was, cause we all know most kids are awful at keeping secrets.

Can you maybe make a shortlist and chat casually yo your LO, see what they like and dislike, get an idea and then tell them you'll wait until baby is born to make a final decision?

My girls are very bonded to their sister already and talk to her by name rather than "baby". I think for them it makes the whole thing more real.

No way am I asking my 3.5yr old. He thinks destructs & baby brother are great names... If he were 5 or 6, then I might consider it. Right now, he doesn't know as he doesn't know not to spill the beans and he's way too young to envision impact name choice has. I wouldn't ask fr their opinion. That changes daily at this age.

On the other hand, my friend has listened to her 3 yr olds suggestion: he always said his brother would be Thomas (tank engine) & that's what they went with.

If it's a secret don't tell.. I just saw a thing where they asked preschoolers what their favorite baby names were and they said things like Peter pan and dog.

Sophie thinks baby will be called Sophie (as in version 2.0), my kids are surprisingly disinterested in the baby and didn't even care about being at my anatomy scan! They didn't want to see baby on the screen or anything. They've never met a baby and have no concept of them I think.

I don't like the girl name I had chosen now so I won't be saying anything solid till I find a name I love.

My DD chose the name actually, we were struggling to come up with a name we agreed upon and she was adamant that he should be called Charlie. We could not really argue with it either (Charles is a family name of OH as well and his middle name). She never told anyone though until he was born as she knew it was a secret (my parents knew though)

Charlie tells me he would like a baby brother called Harry or Jack or a sister called Sophia so they can be trusted (he is not getting one)

Ive told my daughter the new babies name to help her bond. We also gave her free range on picking middle name for baby, luckily she has chosen Isabella which I actually like!! I am hoping it has made her feel more attached to baby as she calls her by her name all the while.
I'm just a teeny bit worried incase baby doesn't look like her name when she comes out!!

Mine know babies name and was allowed to choose a middle name between them, obviously it would have been within reason but they have come up with Jacob which I actually like. If it was going to be a secret I wouldn't have told them though. :)

Ours have been involved in choosing, (on the understanding that Mummy and Daddy get the final say!) but like others have said, only because we're not keeping it secret. To be fair they haven't mentioned it to anyone that I know of but I think if I'd had to ask them directly not to they probably would have slipped up (iykwim!)

You could try asking his opinion on your names without mentioning them in relation to the baby. Maybe naming a toy or something. At 3 he probably wouldn't put two and two together but you'll still get his opinion.

I told my DD (2.5 years old) her baby sister's name but she insists the baby will be called Luca (after her friend at nursery and goldfish). So I've given up and we'll cross that bridge in July!

We haven't decided on names, but I do talk about them with my son. He, however, wants to name the baby Annie... A lovely name but ridiculously redundant given our last name. He tells people that ask, "I want to name the baby Annie, but Mommy and Daddy don't like that name." ;-) If we had decided and wanted it to be a absolute secret, I probably wouldn't tell him. Not because I think he'd blurt it out, but A LOT of people have asked him what we're naming the baby, and I would never expect him to not answer if he knew.

I agree with pp, try talking names in an unrelated context (naming a baby doll or dinosaur or whatever).

I haven't told the boys a name and I don't plan to. I also haven't told them it's a boy as I think it will be a nice surprise for them when he's born (they really want a brother!). I do however occasionally mention bits and bobs casually eg when we're in the car I'll say 'do you prefer Arthur or Henry' and my oldest will answer. But he doesn't really think too deeply about these things and forgets I asked after 2 seconds and probably gives me different answers each time lol. I genuinely don't think they're that bothered x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->