Having a HORRIBLE Time Choosing a Boy Name...

DecemberWait

Reaction score
My husband is driving me insane. He won't consider ANY boy names, and he won't make a SINGLE suggestion that isn't a complete joke (literally if I try to get him to sit down and talk about it he says "Godzilla" or "Spock" or something completely stupid and obviously just a joke to try and get me to stop talking about it). I have come up with at least 100 names and every name he shoots down. We are having a boy. I'm only 15+2 today but he has sucked all of the fun out of this for me as I feel like he won't take it seriously at all to name the baby. Today I totally broke down trying to talk to him again about names and he won't even take it seriously. We have a daughter already who has a name that we chose before I ever was pregnant so it was easy with her. I'm just feeling deflated and sad. When I tell people I'm having a boy they always ask "ohhh any ideas for names"...I'm just like no...and it sucks...I want something to call him other than "the baby." I got so frustrated and pissed off at my husband that I said I guess he won't have a name then and my husband said "oh, good suggestion, No Name can be his name!" That pissed me off so much I went upstairs and just avoided him for the rest of the afternoon. Middle name will be either Jude after my mom who died in January 2015 or George after my husband's grandfather. Too bad George and Jude sound horrific together or else I would just go with that combination of names and drop this conversation. Just needed to vent...something that should be fun sending me on the verge of tears. By the way here are my top 10 and my husband hates every single one of these names and said they are all horrible:

Sullivan
Samuel
Oliver
William
Elliott
Gregory
Felix
Edward
Oscar
Lincoln

Any advice on what to do?

If it were me I'd say 'well if you don't want any input then I will pick his name'. Does your DH know how much he's upsetting you with his behaviour?

My and oh still can't agree. It's got to the point he's told me to just pick. Maybe once he's born a name will 'fit' thats what I'm hoping anyways

He definitely knows it's upsetting me. I usually don't get upset easily but the fact that he won't even consider a name or give ONE real suggestion is just driving me insane. I like almost every boy name especially classic names so I am an open book for him to give a suggestion, he just won't. It sucks. I could pick a name, but I really want my husband to have some input so it isn't just me choosing it. I guess if I have to I will... :/

I love classic names aswell
George
Arthur
James
Henry

Oh likes
Oliver
Thomas
Jack

Which I don't dislike, but I don't love them either

I suggested Arthur today I really fell in love with it and my husband said no.

I think once you are further on he may change his mind. Even with our third child i just cannot get him to be serious about names at this stage. I asked him the other day and he replied 'Don' which is to do with his football team. i find when im massive he definately seems to start thinking about names and especially when baby is almost born. Hope he takes it seriously soon for you

Grrr men are so useless especially at the early stages with names. I've been looking at girl names for ages (just 19 weeks now) and he is so whatever. With my son one day he just said to me (around 30 weeks) so I've decided for us... it's going to be Thomas. And I was like, I really like it... ok. Of course there is no way I would have said ok if I hated it.

I think they have to do things in there own time. For them it's a very straight forward thing.

If I were you I would just pick 2 or 3 names that you love (stiff shit it he 'hates them') and say we can pick when he's born. He may then start thinking about it as you've set it to one side.

Have you told him outright, how much he's annoying you? The name thing is irritating but I'd be much more worried about the lack of respect he's showing you. I mean, what the hell?!? It's one thing to say "I don't want to talk about that yet." But to just make bogus suggestions and shoot down anything you say? That's really not on. He needs to grow up and treat you with some respect!

I still can't get OH to be serious about names at the moment. Fingers crossed for further along and nearer the end both of them will get serious long enough for us to both have some boy names :haha: men are rubbish hehe!

If I where you I would just pick myself and tell him we are calling baby this xx

My husband comes up with joke names too. It's infuriating, so I know how you feel. Naming your baby is something girls dream of. And we want our significant others to also love the name we choose.

For the record, I love all the names on your list! Many of them I have suggested to my husband :)

Me and OH couldn't agree on names so it used to kind of just go around in circles. I ended up telling him if we didn't choose one then I would choose one myself, the majority of which he hated.
Also love the name Arthur but then I'm biased ;)

Like Ross and Rachel in Friends - Tell him you're giving him, say, ten vetoes.
Then start firing baby names at him. Maybe it'll at least make him stop and think about it, to see if he wants to 'waste' a veto or not.

My husband is driving me insane. He won't consider ANY boy names, and he won't make a SINGLE suggestion that isn't a complete joke (literally if I try to get him to sit down and talk about it he says "Godzilla" or "Spock" or something completely stupid and obviously just a joke to try and get me to stop talking about it). I have come up with at least 100 names and every name he shoots down. We are having a boy. I'm only 15+2 today but he has sucked all of the fun out of this for me as I feel like he won't take it seriously at all to name the baby. Today I totally broke down trying to talk to him again about names and he won't even take it seriously. We have a daughter already who has a name that we chose before I ever was pregnant so it was easy with her. I'm just feeling deflated and sad. When I tell people I'm having a boy they always ask "ohhh any ideas for names"...I'm just like no...and it sucks...I want something to call him other than "the baby." I got so frustrated and pissed off at my husband that I said I guess he won't have a name then and my husband said "oh, good suggestion, No Name can be his name!" That pissed me off so much I went upstairs and just avoided him for the rest of the afternoon. Middle name will be either Jude after my mom who died in January 2015 or George after my husband's grandfather. Too bad George and Jude sound horrific together or else I would just go with that combination of names and drop this conversation. Just needed to vent...something that should be fun sending me on the verge of tears. By the way here are my top 10 and my husband hates every single one of these names and said they are all horrible:

Sullivan
Samuel
Oliver
William
Elliott
Gregory
Felix
Edward
Oscar
Lincoln

Any advice on what to do?

I love Elliott. You are giving away all your power. Why don't you feel that if he chooses not to contribute constructively that you have the ability to name your own child? You sound like you need his permission - you don't. Pick a name, go with it and be stubbornly confident about it. As much as men love to play games with us sometimes we allow them every last laugh. Everything is negotiable, maybe you pick a name and go with it for a time and he finally gets his s~t together with a list of his own. It's definitely a more happy confident way for you to move forward without allowing him to keep playing on your emotions. Don't get upset with his childish behaviour, pick a name and move forward. He'll be more likely to get it together if he thinks you've sorted yourself out. Otherwise it sounds like he's quite happy making you work hard for no positive returns. xx:flower:

Pick a nickname for the bump which means you can stop calling it the baby.

If people ask about names "not decided until we see him"

And take your time and when DH is taking it a bit more seriously decide on names.

You are far from alone, OH is full of useful suggestions (sarcasm) which makes DS giggle who then comes out with even more aburd names which then makes them both roll about giggling and point blank refuse to listen to anything else as they have found that days "greatest name ever" (even more sarcasm)

A few of their faves include Hedgehog Chocolate
Gumball Poopface
Icecream Dinosaur face
Rabbit Hutchings

:dohh::dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member