having a kidney removed

Melissa93

Reaction score
I'm 20 and have had problems with my right kidney all my life ive recently been having tests and scans done, found out yesterday my right kidney isn't functioning properly and has scaring because of multiple infections, my right kidney is also a double kidney however it has now shrunken so much it is now quite a bit smaller then my left kidney. anyway it's been decided that I'm going to have my kidney removed through key hole surgery, been told I will have the op on a Friday and should out on Mon or Tues however recovery time will be about 6 weeks and I will get tired quickly also been told I won't be able to look after my daughter for about 3 weeks, just wondered if anyone else had had this done how it was for them and what their recovery was like, I live on my own with my daughter so she will have to stay with family while I'm unable to look after her, she's 18 months atm and looking at having op towards end of the year, I won't know the date for around 6 weeks is what my consultant said x

Firstly massive :hugs: for you! What a strain this must be having on you and your family.

I don't have personal experience of this but my Gran had a kidney removed due to cancer when she was 60. Her surgery wasn't keyhole (as the tumour and kidney were too large to remove that way) and so she had a very different operation to what you'll have. In saying that, she recovered well. She did tire quickly and still does sometimes (but she is much older than you!).

A few years on she works a few days and babysits the youngest grandchildren the rest of the week. She is always on the go! She has regular blood tests etc to ensure the health of the remaining kidney which are showing it is doing well!

Now, as I nurse I have different point of view as well. You will need to take time out after the operation and take your recovery slowly. You'll need to relax to give your body time to heal. You'll be sore and feeling rotten for the first few days/weeks.

I hope everything goes well for you :) x

Thank you, I was told il have operation on Friday and should b out Monday or Tuesday but will need to rest and will get tired quickly, my daughters dads mom had already said she will book get time off work to look after my daughter and my boyfriend has said he will help look after me I'm just going to find it hard not having her for so long, obviously I will still be able to see her but not the same and also i start college in Sept I already have a holiday booked for end of sept which was booked before i decided to go college which means 2 weeks off but they are thinking the operation may b October and 6 weeks recovery so I'm worried what's going to happen about college x

Big hugs hun-- hope it's all sorted out and you heal quicker than expected. I'm sure the first week will be the worst- then better little by little... good you have help, but hard I'm sure not being able to do what you normally do for LO. Just give her loads of snuggles when you do see her. No great advise... or experience-- when I had my c-section (I know, it's not the same)-- I was healing pretty quick. I was a bit enemic too- and tired, but honestly, you might be surprised how well you can power through- just make sure to rest as much as you can after to give your body that time to heal and focus on you for that time.

:hugs:

Thank you, Yeah I'm hoping I'll heal quickly I'm dreading the thought of waking up after the operation though as don't know what the pain will be like also not looking forward to spending maybe 4 nights in hospital, I know
its so they can just keep an eye on me and check im ok but nobody likes being there do they, goin to b so bored plus i like my privacy and find it awkward sleeping on a ward with a load of strangers, from what the doctor said i think with recovery it will be more the fact I get tired quickly then the actual healing and my mom said with my daughter she will be walking more and will be in a bed by then so won't need to lift her into a cot so should make things easier but I'll have to b careful of her using me as a climbing frame haha x

I can't give you advice on much else except the operation and recovery! I used to work in the operating theatre and in recovery, so I can tell you that you won't be completely pain free. However the pain should be bearable. The anaesthetist will give you strong painkiller throughout the operation and just before you wake up. He will have prescribed more strong painkillers for the nurse to administer in recovery should you need them. In the hospital I worked in they use a pain scale from 0 to 4, with 0 being no pain and 4 being the worst excruciating pain ever. Expect to feel a 1 or a 2 on that scale. Anymore than that, you'll need painkillers. A little bit of pain is a good thing because it stops you moving etc and causing any damage! X

ok great thanks, I guess it's the not knowing and the waiting that makes it worse x

Absolutely, the waiting and unknown will be the worst part! X

well i went out tonight to couple pubs didn't have any alcohol and I had pains throughout it just sucks tonight made me feel in mood for a proper night out even without drinking but just physically can't and I'm worried about a repeat of last time when ended up at a&e with stomach pains which is being looked into and is separate but it could happen with kidney pains so even though I'm nervous and scared it will be worth it to no longer have this pain x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->