Having another baby 'genetically designed' to help your child?

M

Mrs Mayhem

I'm just watching 'Lorraine' and there's a family on there who have a little boy who is ill (I missed the bit where they said what was wrong) they are planning to have another baby which will be genetically designed in order to have a transplant to help their little boy.

What do you think of this?

Mrs Mayhem - Your turning into me 'watching stuff' :lol: We really need to stop it :lol:

:haha: its not good is it?! this is what you get having an early waking baby!!! I actually really don't like Lorraine!!

I'm just watching 'Lorraine' and there's a family on there who have a little boy who is ill (I missed the bit where they said what was wrong) they are planning to have another baby which will be genetically designed in order to have a transplant to help their little boy.

What do you think of this?

Personally? It disgusts me. Sure, their little boy is ill... but, why make another child just to help the first? What about their own life? Won't majority of it be spent focusing on their brother? ... I think it's a horrible position to put such a young child into.

I've never really looked into it but if "My sisters keeper" is anything to go by, it's awful. Although who can say what we'd do if our LO's were ill and could possibly die.. wouldn't we do everything in our power to help? :shrug:

I've never really looked into it but if "My sisters keeper" is anything to go by, it's awful. Although who can say what we'd do if our LO's were ill and could possibly die.. wouldn't we do everything in our power to help? :shrug:

That's exactly what I was going to say!! Doesn't turn out well in that!

It must be so hard as a parent though, you want to save your child no matter what, so what do you do??? I hope I never ever have to be in the position to worry about that

xxx

I think any parent in this situation would do anything to save their child. I know I would.

Personally I don't have a problem with it. I'm sure the second child will be just as loved as any other sibling no matter why they were conceived.

That's exactly what I was going to say!! Doesn't turn out well in that!

It must be so hard as a parent though, you want to save your child no matter what, so what do you do??? I hope I never ever have to be in the position to worry about that

xxx

I agree with both of the above. We cant really judge until we're put into that situation, its not something i ever want to imagine happening to me and ideally id like to say 'no way, never' but the reality is that we cant predict our behaviours if that situation occured.

Its just so sad that it even needs to be considered in the first instance :(

I think any parent in this situation would do anything to save their child. I know I would.

Personally I don't have a problem with it. I'm sure the second child will be just as loved as any other sibling no matter why they were conceived.

Same.

As for using My Sister's Keeper as an example, I thought abotu that too, then remembered the book has a whole different ending to it :D

I agree with this, but is it really fair to have a child knowing that you're going to put it through numerous medical procedures before he/she even has the chance to a life themselves? (I'm not saying you're wrong, or arguing, just asking a general question :thumbup:)

It's something I suppose you can't really know what you'd do until you're in that situation and I know I say I'd do anything for my daughter but I honestly don't know if I could put another innocent life through possible suffering. It's a tough call!

It is the most awful situation to be in, it is unfair all round. I would hate to have to do it but I would do it because I couldn't allow something to happen to William without knowing I had done everything possible in my power to prevent it.

Right now I don't know if I agree with it... but it's easy for me to say that when I have a perfectly healthy baby. I know thought that I would do anything, ANYTHING, to keep him healthy and safe and so I'd imagine my opinion would change if I was in that situation. We are planning more babies though so wouldn't be a baby just for that, we'd be having the baby we planned next but just in a way that would help keep our first born alive. xx

I think it can be shortsighted. You may gain some years with your first child but the reality is you could outlive both of your chidren.

It's a terrible situation but I don't think it's fair to have a child with a pre determined purpose, a purpose which risks their life. I can only imagine what the knowledge that you were conceived for a 'cause' would do to a person.

If I was in that position and having another baby that could save the life of my LO by way of a one-off transplant (which is what they're talking about, not an on-going thing like my sisters keeper!) then I'd do it in a heartbeat!

if it means it would save alfies life then yes i would.

<3

I've read "My sister's keeper" and it was really painful...made me dead against the idea of it. I know it's only fiction but still...
BTW the ending was weirdddd compared to the ending of the movie! Completely different! I won't spoil for anyone though....:winkwink:

I've read "My sister's keeper" and it was really painful...made me dead against the idea of it. I know it's only fiction but still...
BTW the ending was weirdddd compared to the ending of the movie! Completely different! I won't spoil for anyone though....:winkwink:

Could you put it under a spoiler? I wanna knowww!

oooh put it in a spoiler i want to know too..

<3

The little boy on lorraine needs a one off bone marrow transplant, not ongoing treatment.

If it was a one off treatment then yes i would, the 2nd baby would be just as loved as the first.

The little boy on lorraine needs a one off bone marrow transplant, not ongoing treatment.

If it was a one off treatment then yes i would, the 2nd baby would be just as loved as the first.

Yeh automatically people think of my sisters keeper with this subject but it's completely different :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->