having doubts over school place

pa2k84

Mummy to Lucas Richard
Reaction score
But of a long one so thank you off you stick with it!

We currently have our house on the market, estate agents were very keen saying house in our area ( village location) sell very fast. We had to apply for school so just put down local one knowing we would get in but secretly thinking by the time school rolls around ball would be rolling on house sell and we would just appeal to a school in New area. However this is not happening,a little interest to start in house but now nothing for months and starting to worry. Lucas goes to a preschool in another village as really did not like the one in ours by the school. as our is looking more and more like he will actually have to start school around here and then move later am wondering if I should try and get him into school attached to his preschool? No idea how to do this didn't even put it down as an option as was so sure something would of happened with house by now. Feeling like I am going to have to up and move him some when but now worried it is going to be happening twice, move away from preschool and friends there to settle in New school then move from school to another school. Thinking of I try and get him into school by his preschool ad least won't be so much of a change as well be with same people.

Ahhhh so much going on in my head at the moment :cry:

Have you looked round the school in your village - it could be very different to the preschool.

I'm not sure what I'd do tbh. I wouldn't want to move him into a different school straight away after he starts but would you have any chance of getting him into the other school?

the school in the village is fine have no problems with the school itself is more the him having to get used to a whole new group of children only to be taken away halfway/ end of reception year. At least if goes to other school he will be with people he knows even if only for a short time. I have phoned going to swap him they have spaces, he even said to me today as we left preschool "I wish we lived in p as then I could go to school here"

Personally i'd rather do the more from school to school as early on as possible. Children are a lot more accepting of their circumstances that we are and if we allow them to adapt really quickly. My son has had children join his class during reception and year 1 and none of them had problems adapting to the new school - in fact the children who were already at the school kind of swooped down and them and made them feel really included because having a new child start part way through the school year was really exciting for them.
Children are also generally quite fickle - my sister and her two girls moved from being a 2 min walk from where i live to 3500miles away. My son was used to seeing his cousins pretty much most days. He was utterly devastated the first week they were gone - fast forward 8 weeks and he's fine. He hasn't forgotten them but he's quite happily moved on to the new way of life.

Obviously you can only do what you are happy with but i would probably leave things as they are.

sorry message wrote on phone with grabby baby!

The options are:

Preschool - school adjoining preschool (with friends) - move to school in new area if/when house move goes ahead

or

Preschool - school in village - move to school in new area if/when house move goes ahead

To be honest talking to my OH and son 'think' am going with option 1, not a school i would want him in really as splits to different site from year 2, however if only for a short time not an issue.

Just as a thought - what happens if the house move doesn't end up going ahead? i know people who it's taken a few years for their property to sell. If i knew that the move was happening sooner rather than later then doing option one would be fine. However i would have to consider how i'd feel if i ended up not moving and my child was in a school that i didn't really want them in. If you are ok with the idea of him going to school number one right through to the end then i would do that.

In your shoes I would probably explore the options for the school he's been accepted to already. If you're happier with that school, like RachA said, what if it takes over a year to sell from now, would you want him in a school in another village that you're not particularly enamoured with. Does he have friends in the village. Are there any groups or perhaps neighbours who have children that attend the school that you could get to know. Do they have any open days for the children who will be going?

If it's a definite that you want to keep him with his friends, then call the school and get put on the waiting list. You can appeal until June I think (I know there's usually a few weeks) so I'd just check your council website and talk to the school about how to swap.

There's a chance that we'll be moving in August.....just before Earl starts school. We haven't the foggiest if we will be moving so for the time being he's in at the local school. If we move, it's going to be 150+miles away......eeeek! lol

In your shoes I would probably explore the options for the school he's been accepted to already. If you're happier with that school, like RachA said, what if it takes over a year to sell from now, would you want him in a school in another village that you're not particularly enamoured with. Does he have friends in the village. Are there any groups or perhaps neighbours who have children that attend the school that you could get to know. Do they have any open days for the children who will be going?

If it's a definite that you want to keep him with his friends, then call the school and get put on the waiting list. You can appeal until June I think (I know there's usually a few weeks) so I'd just check your council website and talk to the school about how to swap.

There's a chance that we'll be moving in August.....just before Earl starts school. We haven't the foggiest if we will be moving so for the time being he's in at the local school. If we move, it's going to be 150+miles away......eeeek! lol

That'll be one heck of a school run each day :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"