HCG Levels have doctor stumped

coltsfan1987

Reaction score
Hi all,

Any advice, stories, information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

I have PCOS and have been TTC for close to a year. LMP was on 2/5/15. I had spotting on 3/11 that was very light and stopped after a few hours (possible implantation bleeding?). Negative HPT on 3/12. Pregnancy symptoms (tired, sore breasts, nausea) started around 3/12 or 3/13. Took another HPT on 3/16 and it was a faint positive. Symptoms increased on this day. The next day I did not feel as bad and took another HPT on 3/18-still a faint positive. Symptoms stayed about the same the rest of the week. HPT around noon on 3/20-stronger positive. I took another HPT (different type than others) on 3/21 in the morning and it came back negative. On the morning of 3/22 I had spotting that stopped and then returned about two hours later. The bleeding became heavy and I had severe cramping (worse than a menstrual cycle). I called the doctor and they suspected a miscarriage and encouraged me to go to the hospital. The hospital checked my HCG and it was 29. They also did an ultrasound and did not see anything in the uterus. They diagnosed it as most likely a miscarriage. I went to the doctor for follow up on 3/24 and they confirmed they thought it was a miscarriage. They checked my HCG and it was 57.3. They thought this may be due to the difference in labs, so requested a repeat blood test on 3/26. My HCG on 3/26 was 97.4. The bleeding from the miscarriage subsided on 3/26. The doctor said they are confused and do not know what is going on. They said it may be an ectopic pregnancy and instructed me to go to the ER if I experience pain on one side or bleeding. They want me to repeat HCG levels on 4/2.

Is an ectopic pregnancy likely since levels seemed to increase as normal right at first, then decrease leading to miscarriage symptoms and then now increasing at a normal rate?

Any other thoughts or experience would be appreciated. I'm worried and confused. Thanks!

That does seem odd...at this point since hcg is seeming to be rising at almost a full doubling each time at 48hrs I wouldnt count it out yet. If the hcg continues to rise normally it may be a good sign. But i would prepare for the worst but hope for the best. I have heard of hcg rising but then decreasing. So dont lose hope yet and lets hope something good happens. As for nothing showing up on us, that is super common in very early pregnancy with very low hcg.

Maybe it is a twin pregnancy and one of the babies miscarried? And there is a good chance you can't see anything in the uterus because you are still so early good luck. I hope it all works out for you :hugs:

Vanishing twin is very possible. I hope it all works out ok! Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->