He just doesn't make sense!!

ColtonsMom

Reaction score
Colton just doesn't make any sense when it comes to eating our dinner. He confuses me.

I've given him spaghetti and grinded it up. But he just gagged on it. I know it's not to big. But I just figured maybe he though it was nasty or something.
:dohh:

Well, he stares the whole time we are eating and makes me feel really bad. So I decided to try and give him some more spaghetti; but figured he wouldn't end up eating it. So instead of grinding it up, I just cut a piece of one of the noodles off and grabbed alittle piece of the meat on the end of my fork and GUESS WHAT? THe little bugger sat there and ATE IT! Chewed it right up and swallowed, with no gagging!

So, I'm confused. Wouldn't it make more sense that it's grinded.
I'm worried he isn't going to eat our food unless it's off my plate, because when it's on his own tray he just plays in it.
Is it okay to just feed him off my plate until he gets better and better at it? Or am I going to get into a big bad habit?

There's nothing wrong with feeding them off your own plate, Kaya was fed from my plate up until this last month, now she wants her own plate. They like to assert their independence when they're older, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

yeah im sure its fine. Ground spaghetti is a very strange texture, really firm still and not that appealing so probably why he gagged. If he can cope with big bits then let him! he's so cute in your avatar.

Okay, thanks guys!
And thanks Lulu! :D

I've been getting the feeling lately that his baby food is "holding him back". He tends to just swallow it as soon as it's put into his mouth, doesn't even attempt chewing. He's on stage 2, but it's still REALLY running (half of them still run off the spoon :( ). Now, I'm thinking if he actually has something with some chunks he will chew it. Which may be a good thing?! We might try some more things.

i dont know much about baby and solids but i would say maybe try him with some other foods and foods with bigger lumps in if you think its too runny as i guess at his age they can handle more lumpier foods xx xx

I'd guess it was the thickness and texture of the food too.

I usually grind meats, hard or weird veggies like carrots or broccoli (for my kids - this baby isn't eating off our plates yet). Pastas, rice, breads, etc. I let baby have cut up pieces of those.

we gave Bella finger foods (cooked veggies like broccoli and green beans and she also has toast) and she loves chewing. she will even try to chew when something is smooth :dohh: so i'd definitely try him on thicker, lumpier things but be prepared for some coughing and gagging and brush up on what to do if they choke (plenty of info online) as its more possible obviously. good luck!

Thanks guys. Ooohh, lulu you gave me an idea. We are having some steaks my OH got for free yesterday (from his boss, it was his 24th birthday) :happydance: but we are also having mac & cheese with them. I know we have some green beans in the cabinets too! I know he likes macaroni and cheese because he's had that in his little net feeder thing. But I might try and give him some green beans too. He doesn't really like them pureed but maybe since it's a different texture not blended up, he might eat them. :D I think I'll try it out.

Would you eat ground up spaghetti? LOL

All joking aside, often too they see that their food is different than yours making them more interested in yours and not theirs.

:rofl:
He normally just sits in amazement when we are eating. He will stare with his mouth open, and will sometimes make chewing motions (even though he isn't eating anything) :lol: I'm just scared of him chocking the most, I think.

:rofl:
He normally just sits in amazement when we are eating. He will stare with his mouth open, and will sometimes make chewing motions (even though he isn't eating anything) :lol: I'm just scared of him chocking the most, I think.

:rofl: aw bless him , i get scared of charlie chocking on rusks too as he did a couple of weeks ago so ive stopped giving them him but colton is older im sure hel be fine just make sure you know what to do just incase xx

Colton's kinda gagged a few times, and I just patted him on the back. He made himself sick once-which really scared me.
But the thing is he has so many teeth (6 already) that he wants to take huge bites off everything. Bites that are far to big for him! :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->