Head Cold... any tips?

captain-ally

Reaction score
I've got the worst head cold I've ever had. It started as a normal cold, but now it's a cough/cold/splitting headache combination that's got me totally out of commission. I've been taking 2-4 tylenol a day, but is there anything else we can take that's safe?

I called the telephone health service and the alarmist nurse told me to go to the emergancy room. It's not that bad, it's just impossible to get rid of without drugs. I only called to check if there were any pregnancy-safe cough meds. After implying that I was having a stroke, then carbon monoxide poisoniong, then suggesting the hospital, I ended the call without bothering to get an answer to my original question.

Has anyone been told of a safe non-perscription cough or cold medicine that we can take?

Thanks!

I suffered from a head cold for about 3 weeks before it started to get better. I just drank a lot of fluids and rested up. I've called the tele-health and to be honest its terrible they have NEVER helped me out in any way..they always over assume everything and then just tell you to go to the hospital when all I wanted were safe medications to take when constipated while pregnant! LOL
I'm not sure what to take really as my MW just suggested lots of fluids and rest. Hope you feel better soon hun!

I've been in the same boat as you for the past few days - I feel your pain! :hugs:

I went to see the pharmacist, who said all they could safely recommend was honey and lemon - either in decaf tea (which I love), or in water (which I'm not so keen on).

I've just tried to drink as much water, juice and milk as I can, and sleep as much as possible. Unfortunately, that's not too easy when working full time :hissy:

Hope you feel better soon.

this is very safe..and actually old fashion..but it takes all the crap stuff out of u...get a pot of boiled water and put it in the center of a room and then get thick dovet cover even two would be good..and sit down and lean ur head over the top of the pot so that the steam goes on ur face and get someone to cover u with the dovet blanket like a tent and its like a sauna in der and takes all the mucus from ur chest and nose....its great....
but after u may need to jump in the shower coz u will be covered in sweat....

I suffered from a head cold for about 3 weeks before it started to get better. I just drank a lot of fluids and rested up. I've called the tele-health and to be honest its terrible they have NEVER helped me out in any way..they always over assume everything and then just tell you to go to the hospital when all I wanted were safe medications to take when constipated while pregnant! LOL
I'm not sure what to take really as my MW just suggested lots of fluids and rest. Hope you feel better soon hun!

Aren't they awful? I couldn't believe how alarmist she was being. I'm pretty sure if I'd had carbon monoxide poisoning for two days already, I'd be dead. What's worse is that telehealth is in the same building I work in, lol. It's hard not to say something in the elevator to all the nurses!

Pretty much all head colds are caused by viruses, and unfortunately drugs won't get rid of them any faster. Tylenol (paracetamol) is safe to take - 1 gram up to 4 times per day. Pseudoephidrine (which has been associated with baby abdominal wall defects) is great for stuffy noses but sadly we can't take it. Honey, lemon, fluids, sleep, steam inhalations......hope it goes soon - the odds are it will in a few days time :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->