Head down - but right vs. left???

SoyLatte

Reaction score
OK so I have a question for those of you who have already had a kid or two naturally.

FTM here and I had a bit of a confusing appointment on Tuesday with my midwife….perhaps I should have asked her to clarify what she said then and there but my husband is always with me and he usually catches stuff and probes he’s a D.O. student in his clinical rotations.

Anyways at week 30 or so LO turned herself head down (Yay!) and at my 32 week appointment Midwife was thrilled that she could feel her head pretty snug in the pelvis already. Mind you I’m 5’2” and my pre-pregnancy weight was only 128 so I’m not very big in general. All my gain has been directly in the tummy which is bulging out like crazy, I’m about 155 now.

Now here’s the fun part about this pregnancy, my body has had a severe reaction to the added hormones. I’ve been fighting off nausea almost the whole time, its gotten better than the first tri (where I lost 9 lbs cause I couldn’t keep food down)but I still throw up at minimum once or twice a week. Additionally there is so much Relaxin in my system that if I lay on my left side for any longer than an hour or two bile from my liver pours into my stomach and I throw up. We figured that out toward the middle of the first tri and I switched to sleeping on my right. It made a huge difference and I’ve been totally fine on my right side.

So at this last appointment Tuesday my midwife commented on that fact that LO is mostly on the right side of my uterus, head down. She said I should try sleeping on my left to get her to settle on the left because its shorter for the baby to come out when they are mostly on the left of the uterus as opposed to the right.

Does this make sense to anyone else? I’d never heard this before and I can’t seem to find anything else on it anywhere online. I gave it a go on Tuesday night accepting that I might have to deal with the bile issue for the last haul of this but I couldn’t do it longer than an hour. LO was moving like crazy while I was on the left and it seriously felt awful and sooo, sooo painful. I felt like my uterus was ripping apart from the pubic bone up, I just know if I’d stayed that way I wouldn’t have slept all night.

Should I stress about this idea that she needs to get to the left instead of the right? Can someone else explain to me what the heck this is all about?

Maybe she means the baby is in the ROT position? Check out spinning babies website for good information. I can't post a link yet but google will bring it up.

I also recommend the Spinning Babies website--they explain all the different positions your baby could be in, and while there is a benefit to the baby being on the left side, the right side is not so bad! More than anything, the baby is head down...hurrah!

Mine is ROP too but at the minute, I'm just glad hes head down as last time he was transverse. My last baby was a direct OP so I'm not that surprised :(

it's so odd you should say this - I had my 36 week midwife appointment yesterday and she said the exact same thing! I was so pleased that baby was head down, with her back to my front, and getting towards being engaged - I thought that was all you had to worry about but then she said 'well she seems to be laying to the right so we need to try and get her to the left so it's easier during labour' - I had NEVER heard of it before! Think I'm going to check out this spinning babies website and see what it's all about! xx

thats a really useful website.seems that today is a website evaluation day in the forum.few moment ago i bumped up into another chat concerning a website termed embryonic feng shui is also something very useful and a very fresh idea,especially if you r into feng shui and energy staff!!thats the 2nd good site i have discovered in a day!!

Thanks so much ladies. I'm not going to stress about this, I think I understand it better now.

you r very welcome love,im sure everything will work out just fine for you!!xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->