• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Health visitor concerned over 15 month olds tongue?

Kiki1993

Reaction score
Hi. I’m really worried and upset right now. Got a letter from health visitor saying she wanted to discuss my concerns I didn’t know what she meant because I didn’t have any concerns really because she is doing everything she should be and then some. I did mention how friends and strangers comment on my daughters tongue mostly saying aw that’s so cute that she does that but have had some say it affects speech. Anyway she said aw I’m sur eits fine she has said words and seems clear enough and t snot affecting her breathing or eating so don’t stress and we will review it at next review to ensure it isn’t affecting speech so I wasn’t concerned anymore and said that.
Anyway then I got that letter and phone and the lady said the hv with me isn’t in till Monday but pulled my records and asked if I had her height weight and head measured and I said I got her weight today but they didn’t do the other measurements and she said she had specified getting head measured. Then she said how the concerns she is meaning is about the tongue “abnormality” .. I didn’t think it was that big of a deal because I think it’s just something she does. It does go in her mouth but does band out 90% of the time. But she said how she noted she would phone to discuss the issue and now I have to wait till Monday and I’m really freaking out about it. What could the issue be? Should I make a Doctors apt? I feel terrible I did say to the doctor when she was younger and he joked sh ewould grow into it but one of my friends said they don’t if they still have it beyond 6 months?
I ended up googling what the concern may be and now I’m ten times more upset thinking why didn’t I bring this up if it is a concern more? I just thought it was normal for kids to do this?

It could be something as simple as being a 'mouth breather' due to congestion, or large tonsils/adenoids. That would be my first port of call I think, if it were my daughter and I wanted to get her checked out. Does she breathe through her nose? This is what she should be doing, but if there is something obstructing the passage of air this way, she'll breathe through her mouth.

If she's eating/drinking well, chewing properly, babbling, saying words and so on, then it's unlikely there is an issue with the tone in her mouth that could cause her tongue to protrude, but I'm not an expert so it's always best to see one if you can, if you have any concerns about oral tone or see any red flags. Does she dribble excessively?

Finally, she may just be a 'tongue thruster', meaning her tongue pushes against and between her teeth when she swallows, or when her mouth is at rest. Eventually, this can lead to dental or speech issues, but is actually incredibly common and she still has time to grow out of it before it starts to cause any real problems.

It's worth checking out, whatever the cause, so you can plan the best course of action and - if a need for some sort of treatment or therapy is required - you can correct the issue before it affects her facial development. If she's otherwise well and meeting milestones, though, it's unlikely to be anything frightening. I think your HV's letter was worded really unhelpfully!

Phoned health visitor back to ask if I could get more details and if I should make an apt with doctor. She said she was the colleague that my hv was taking with and they from what she remembers have decided to start s referral process or something for her tongue just to rule out possible conditions but I’m to try not worry. Not the best thing to say to someone like me. Spoiler I will worry. But made an apt with doctor for next week and hv is phoning Monday to arrange a day to come over and spend more time seeing how she is and talk me through the whole process and possibilities I guess.

I know that they say for kids with Downs, they don't have a large tongue as it sometimes appears. Rather, it appears larger and sticks out due to low muscle tone. Could that be the case with your daughter? Low muscle tone? If so, that can be treated. Don't beat yourself up. It's not like the professionals tipped you off to something and you ignored it. They're seeing it persist and now they're going to address it. Good luck!

She said that was one of the possibilities but she is walking and stuff well and really strong so I don’t know. I feel bad i did bring it up with the doctor when she was younger prob about six months just at end of an apt and his words were “in sure she will grow into it” and the hv said he prob thought you were joking and at six months it is still not too out of norm for a tongue to hang out sometimes. I feel awful but honestly I know some mums see through rose tinted glasses but she is a very bright, sociable girl so I’m just hoping it’s something minor. I’ll update I did have a picture of my daughter up originally but took it down because I haven’t told many friends or family yet n I dunno if people in my town use this site

It's possible just to have low tone in the mouth, or problems with oro-motor development. There are plenty of basically neurotypical kids out there with temporary speech delays due to weakness that can be corrected with therapy.

As I said before, if she's not drooling excessively, is chewing food well, babbling, saying a few things, etc. then low oral tone isn't especially likely to be the problem. We actually saw a SALT when our first daughter still wasn't chewing food at 13 months, and these were all things she looked for and asked about. Turns out my daughter was just a bit slow in this area for whatever reason and soon started eating like any other kid, without intervention. Her speech is absolutely excellent.

What's your daughter's speech like? Can she do things like use a straw, give a kiss or blow a raspberry? We have a free SALT (speech and language therapy) helpline here which I rang when I was worried about my first, and they sent someone out to do an assessment free of charge. If you have something like that where you are, I'd try to get an appointment with a SALT and just have a chat about it, as they really are excellent and will likely be able to give you some idea what, if anything, is going on.

She does drool a bit but she is teething (has her back teeth cutting), she can drink through a straw and will also give kisses. She has quite good speech, she says dada, ta, tata (put tata dadda together when saying bye to her dad), has said Mum but not in a long time, has been shouting. Santa not sure if she knows what it means but she copied me saying it and has been repeating it since, she will try copy basic words you say it the ones she says says every day are the tata, dadda, gan (gran), woof (the dog) and Tash (Alan’s parents dog) so she has good speech ide say for 14 (almost 15 motnhs)
I’m just freaking out a bit over it when I know it’s probably nothing. But then I remember a stranger down town once asked me how I was coping and I said yeah great thanks and she said “is a downs baby hard” and I was really confused I was like “she hasnt got Down’s syndrome” .. I know she doesn’t but it’s made me worry and after googling all the things that a tongue hanging out can indicate it’s got me all worked up.

I totally understand that as I am a terrible worrier and was awful about my first baby and thought she had all sorts of conditions, none of which she turned out to have - she is a bright and typical healthy 3 year old now and I'm not so bad with my second, though I do have my moments.

I think you have to try and look at her as a whole child rather than just at this quirk she currently has. For example, she's able to use a straw - that's great - a child with low oral tone wouldn't be able to do that. It's one of the things therapists typically introduce to try to strengthen the oral muscles. Is she using age-appropriate language with meaning and intent? Yes - she's even making 't' sounds which require the tongue to be inside the mouth and lifted to touch the the palate. Is she walking? Yes, so she doesn't appear to have issues with balance or tone elsewhere either, which likely rules out cerebral palsy or other physical problems. Is she basically doing what she should be doing at this age? Yes!

Many children are still dribbling at this stage. As long as you're not constantly having to change her clothes because of drool, I wouldn't worry about that at all.

She definitely doesn't have Down's syndrome. She would have a whole host of other issues if she did, and you would know by now. What conditions in particular are you worrying about?

I honestly think she sounds fine and the scariest option I could think of (muscle weakness in her mouth) doesn't seem too likely to me, but of course it's still important to make sure everything is ok. In the meantime, though, try not to stress about there being some sinister problem, because as a whole package, she sounds great. Easier said than done, though, I know!

I’m not really sur smy husband has dyspraxia so I am obviously so tried about that but that’s not a sign for it and she shows no other signs for it and hubby showed signs very young as he was so clumsy etc.
I don’t know I have googled oversized tongue and the number of things that come up is what scares me and the thought of if she needs to get tests done or anything g but I agree she is developing completely to the norm so I know it’s probably nothing. I don’t mind her tongue it’s part of who she is now it’s somethings she’s always done it’s more im just such a worrier as soon as she said it’s a concern my mind started racing and when she said t can be a marker for lot six of conditions I had to google it coz I wanted to know what an di wish I didn’t. The good thing is so far the only things she has is an oversized tongue and I measured her head coz they were wanting to do that in particular and it is 29.5 inches which is slightly bigger than the norm but again I don’t think it’s a problem. I hate that I’m not a professional so don’t know the naswers

I know exactly what you mean - being a worrier too, I always used to get really freaked out over the one thing I saw in my daughter that was worrying me, and think it was indicative of a horrible condition, while completely ignoring everything else that was 'normal' and bright and promising about her!

I think you have the answer in your last post, though - the ONLY thing is her tongue, whereas most conditions show up a whole host of connected signs and issues. Yes, an oversized tongue can be a red flag for various conditions, but I'm sure it would have to be in conjunction with other markers and symptoms for it to point to something specific. And she doesn't have any other symptoms.

I think you'll have to see someone to put your mind at rest, but I don't think it will be anything bad, honestly. I have my fingers crossed for you and hope you will update if and when you know more. :hugs:

It went well today she saw her for about an hour, her head is at 98th percentile but her weight and height are both 50 percentile so to mention thatvto doctor but she said her development is fine so it’s just a precuadtion really so not to worry about it :) really relived I feel a lot better about it x

That's great. I am so sure she is fine. I also have a child with a 50th centile body and a large head lol. My nephew is average size with a 99th centile head! Both are completely normal kids. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->