• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

health visitor said baby should be having 6 bottles he has 10+

catty

Reaction score
I got my 4 week 2 day old baby weighed yesterday, he was 8lb3oz at birth and is now 10lb1oz which she said is really good progress.

He was breast fed for just over 3 weeks and then I began combi feeding - baby flat out refused the breast after this I would put him to it for long periods and he would scream and claw and become very upset so I decided I was happy with bottle feeding. He gets 3-4 bottles of breast milk and the rest formula a day.
Anyway when I breast fed I was told to feed on demand so when I changed to bottle I assumed the same ruke applied. He still eats every 2 - 2.5 hours and every now and then wants it more often than this! Iv worked out he can have between 10 - 12 bottles in 24 hours I honestly didnt know I was meant to give a set amount. So what do I do now, try and make him go a little longer between feeds (bear in mind he will happily have the whole 4oz) or make his bottle a little smaller or just accept he likes his food?

Thanks for any tips I dont know much about bottle feeding

My baby at that age had way more than 6 bottles a day. As far as I'm aware your supposed to feed on demand, a baby will only drink what it needs, as long as they aren't being too sick then your doing fine. Personally if that was me I'd carry on doing what you are, your baby will let you know when they don't quite need as much.

I'll bet your baby doesn't finish every bottle? Up until *very* recently, my LO was having like between around 10 and 15 bottles a day (he's 14 weeks but was switched to bottles at 8) but he would never finish a feed. I went with it. I did buy ready made formula for a while as I was wasting loads of the powder making full bottles!

He's feeding on demand which is normal. Plus, sometimes they are just thirsty or want a snack (like we do)! It will regulate on its own - my LO is only just stretching his daytime feeds out to 3/4 hours now!

Sounds like you are doing everything right!! Also as you are combi feeding lo will be digesting breast milk faster too and needing to feed quicker after these bottles. Let lo guide you. As long as lo is gaining weight well no problem!!

Feeding on demand is recommended whether you're BF, bottle feeding expressed milk or formula feeding. Babies really do know what they need better than you (they can feel their tummy rumble better than you can!) so unless there is an actual problem, keep feeding on demand.

Some babies take 6 oz every 4 hours, some take 3 oz every 2 hours, or 1.5oz every hour. Some babies take 6 oz every 3.5 hours! Babies and their bodies work differently to each other so I would ignore your HV, she clearly doesn't know what she's talking about.

Holly is 3 weeks old nd has more than 6 bottles a day.

Like the PP said my LO can sometimes go 4 hours between and then take 4oz but on an evening will only take 2 to 3oz and want feeding ever hour and half.

My 8 week old has more than that,health visitor tells me to give him what he wants and that he wouldn't have it if dint want it

6 bottles is the "norm" they say but as we all know babies like to make their own "norms". Feed on demand hun.

He does actually take his whole bottle though which is 120ml with 4 scoops of aptamil formula and a few 120ml bottles of breastmilk, after he has it he still sucks his hands and roots do you think I should up his feeds? I have wrkte down every feed hes had today and since 6am he has had 7 feeds and I think he will have another 3 if he follows his average feed time

My baby is just about to turn 4months and is only now taking 6 bottles.

at that age, he fed just 2 hourly. sometimes every 1.5 hrs and that's from when he started, so if he took half hour to feed, it could be just an hour until the next one, so god knows how many a day. You know best, feed him when he wants, it sounds like you're doing fab

He does actually take his whole bottle though which is 120ml with 4 scoops of aptamil formula and a few 120ml bottles of breastmilk, after he has it he still sucks his hands and roots do you think I should up his feeds? I have wrkte down every feed hes had today and since 6am he has had 7 feeds and I think he will have another 3 if he follows his average feed time

if he is finishing it, up it. My HV said they should ideally be leaving some so you know they are full, when they drain they may want more, dont go by the tin, go by him xxx

if he is finishing it, up it. My HV said they should ideally be leaving some so you know they are full, when they drain they may want more, dont go by the tin, go by him xxx

Agree with the above.

I've been told to ignore any guidelines I read online or what it suggests on the side of the tin, if baby drains the bottle then make more as they should always leave a bit, otherwise they might not be full.

So since I last posted I upped his feeds to 150ml with 5 scooos and hes still draining the bottle, starting to think he doesnt know what full is but he hasnt been sick at all. He isnt feeding every 2 hours now though more like 3-3.30. The other night it was almost 5 hours

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->