• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Healthcare Workers Unite - All nurses, HCA's, Students, Midwifes etc WELCOME

Id be classed as a HCA if i worked for the NHS. Im a support worker for a private company. I work with adults with learning disabilitys and mental health issues who have challenging behaviour.

Id be classed as a HCA if i worked for the NHS. Im a support worker for a private company. I work with adults with learning disabilitys and mental health issues who have challenging behaviour.

I use to do that, for young adults and servere challenging behaviour!! I loved it!!

Can I join??

I'm a 2nd yearnursing student, I should be nearly qualifing but i took 10 months maternity leave when i had holly!

I've just finished my final block of theory for this year and then start on a cardiac sugrery ward on thurs and im absolutly bricking it!!! I've had loads of clinic/ GP practice experience recently but havent been on a hospital word in over 2 years and NEVER been on a surgical ward!!! EEK!!!!

I love the job tho!! xx

I did very little medicine and no clinics while I was training. I think they were training me to be a surgical nurse.

I think this sometime, I think they r training me to be a clinic nurse... The placements you get as a student have a massive impact on where you end up when qualified... i wonder if they realise that??? My uni seem intent of letting me experience every kind of obscure nursing (needle exchange for homeless people for example) but have neglected what i would call 'proper nursing' on the wards in a Hospital.... and rant over!!! LMAO!!!

Hello everyone, how are we all? I'm still recovering from my first night of three and feeling a bit worse for wear, I was hoping for a steady night last night, and spent all night running between two patients in restraint after restraint after restraint and my whole body aches!

I have a new gross sight - I actually heaved, I have a patient who's self harmed, and slashed up their arm like a christmas ham, you know with the big crosshatch pattern and the bulging flesh? Urgh it looks vile and the patient keeps reopening it and biting it all and eating it - that's not a typo btw, my patient is a self cannibal! Even writing it down it sounds too vile to be true, it's not the gore element, I've seen way worse lacerations (arterial spray all over your clothes anyone? ;-)). Think it's the fact it was done on purpose, they are so insistant on leaving at they way; and they're eating their own flesh that makes it so stomach churning!

Sorry if anyone finds that a bit too explicitly gross

ewgh that is just disgusting and made me bulk just reading it.
Well we have a patient at the moment, who is intent on eating his own feaces!! YUCK

This week has been so mad and stressful, short staffed, not getting out on time, and when i do leave, have a patient trying to get out the door, another patient trying to climb out the window, and im ameant to be on a stroke ward with some medical beds!!

I dont envy you orange sox, i though it was bad enough having to change urine soaked beds, never used to bother me before i go pregnant but now i cant do it, makes me puke.

Community palliative care nurse, worked nights for macmillan cancer charity prior to moving out here.

Hey girls i'm a qualified staff nurse, i work in the community 5 hrs a week and im a full time post RN student midwife! I go back to my nurse job in sept and to midwifery in Nov, I just have 4 months of the course left, its relentless...not looking forward to going back :( xx

that is gross orange-sox. dont blame you for heaving.

im so not looking forward to going back to work in sept

I am in Canada and I am a HCA in our local hospital. I work on a busy medical unit, we have about 44 beds sometimes we get more though. I would like to complete my nursing once my kids are a bit older and in school, we've just recently got a bridging program for HCA's to upgrade.

You see, people keep asking me how I can do my job, but its great the patients are asleep by the time they get to me. yes we cut big chunks out of them but its all controlled. I really couldn't go back to the wards not at all.

I think most nurses have their little niche that they work best in. I trained as a children's nurse because I just don't have a knack with big people. And while I do like paediatrics even, I love my neonates and wouldn't be anywhere else now. It can be terribly emotional, but it's so rewarding. However, according to my husband all I do is cuddle new babies all day! If only!

I don't belong in this section but just wanted to say what a fab job you students do. I had a student midwife with me for my labour and she was brilliant! She really calmed me down when I panicked.

Hello all,
Just stumbled across this forum and wanted to say hi! I am a student midwife at the end of my first year! Its been a crazy year but I am loving it!

Can I come and lurk on here? I'm a hospital porter working on an assesment ward so I don't do the nursing bits an bobs but I do help patients to and from places and it's amazing what you pick up! Lol!

Just want to say that nurses do a fab job and however much somedays I thibk I would love to be a nurse, I just don't think I could stomach some of it! And I've seen a fair bit of gore and stuff lol!

Hello ladies :flower: just wondering if any of you can answer a question for me? I'm a RTP midwife with a 7m old baby, going back to work in September for 2 days a week and will be doing 'long days' (12.5hr shifts). I've thought long and hard about childcare and family life and all the other stuff that needs thinking about and I think it would be best if I did these long shifts as 2 nights rather than days and LO can be with a childminder for a few hours the following morning until around lunch time, so I can grab a few hours sleep. Do any of you do this? How's it working out for you?

I'm going back in September as well. I'll be working full time long days and occasional nights. I work on a neonatal unit. I'm lucky that my husband can look after the baby. But I just wanted to say that a lot of returning mums on the units I've worked on have come back part time nights like you're suggesting. Wish I could just go back part time! One day.

Hi all, just seen this thread!

I'm a student nurse (adult branch), on mat leave at the moment. I go back on 26th July to do a 4 week placement I had to miss when I was pregnant, then I start second year at the end of September.

Just found out my placement is on an Acute stroke ward, eek! Bit of a baptism of fire for getting back into it, am slightly scared :blush:

Eala, Sweet calley high BN/BANS? Glasgow or UWS? I'm the 4th in my class to be pregnant through the 3 years, all boy babies :lol: I'm the only one who waited long enough to not go on mat leave though (daft maybe :lol:). I'm sure you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->