Healthy butter substitute?

AK89

Reaction score
Just wondering, what do you ladies use when you give your LOs toast or sandwiches or whatever...? Do you just use margarine? Or butter..? Or something else?? My mum was round the other day when I was giving my little girl toast and she mentioned about how margarine is really bad for you and has loads of trans fats and other bad stuff and there's probably a better, healthier alternative that I should use for her (and myself!) Like olive oil spread or something...?

I use butter on lo's toast and ect, he's a little skinny and needs the calories!

Yes I use butter too, when DD1 was not drinking much milk when she was little, HV said to give her full fat dairy in her diet including butter for the calories. I would think unsalted butter would be better but I have to admit mine just have salted as that's what we have in and they only have a tiny amount!

Oh OK thanks! Makes sense I suppose.. :thumbup:

I use butter, it's a whole food, everything in moderation. Margarine is full of rubbish.

There was something in the news recently about butter being ok and it isn't actually beneficial to substitute it. I agree with pp that unsalted is prob best but we use lightly salted and LO has that.

I read something eloquent recently roughly "see low-fat, think chemical shit storm" lol.

They say unsalted butter is best, we just use whatevers on offer haha he only has a teeny bit on his toast or in mash.

I use unsalted butter. DD always had a fair amount as she was a skinny little thing!

Yep, unsalted butter. I have occasionally used margarine when visiting family (and it's all they had), but we don't eat it ourselves in our house as it's full of crap. Babies need fat and butter is a great fat assuming you're otherwise eating healthy. I also use other spreads like hummus and philly on toast as a different source of fat and protein, and I've sometimes used coconut butter.

I use apple butter or fruit spreads on toast and waffles. I do t use butter myself unless it's in a recipe so I just don't give it to lo either

On toasts, I usually don't use butter but if I do I use a fairly small amount. Most of the time I use jam on it.

Margarine is basically plastic, we use butter.

Avocado is good. We use that when in season but unsalted butter when not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->