Heartbeat irregular on doppler-looking for reassurance

twinkie2

Mom of 2 Girls
Reaction score
Had my 24 week appt today and Dr had a hard time with heartbeat, couldn't even tell me the bpm. You know how normally baby's hb is a swooshing type noise, this time, there was an added thud, thud in there, not as frequent as the swooshing beat, but still rhythmic. He had to use the doppler while checking my pulse at the same time to confirm if the extra thuds were from me or from baby. Unfortunately, it seems to be baby. He said he's not overly concerned yet but will note it and wants to check again at the next appt and see if things sound normal or not. He mentioned that sometimes it's just an immature heart and many babies outgrow small hb irregularities as the heart matures in-utero, but seriously, how the hell am I not suppose to worry? I know if he felt it was super concerning I'd likely have had a closer follow up of some sorts rather than just my next appt, but I'm so freaked out by the what-if. Plus, I felt like the u/s tech had so many problems looking at the heart during my 20 week scan, much longer than my DD's scan, so that's really adding to my anxiety.

Hope everything is ok. When is your next appointment?

:hugs: its hard not to worry but just remember there is nothing that you can do in the mean time! Xxx

Well the nurse just called and asked me to come back in sooner for a follow up to listen to the heart again :( They want to give it some time, but don't want to wait three weeks, so now I'm going in on the 6th. I was actually doing really good today telling myself I can't do anything in the mean time so don't worry, but of course, the need to see me sooner now has me all worked up again.

Oh I wish there was a way to ease your worry, bless you. :hugs: It is good they are taking it seriously. Let's hope its all over nothing xxx

Don't know if it's the same thing but I had my 20 week scan yesterday and they detected an arrhythmia with babies heart. Weren't that concerned and said they often right themselves but they want to see me again. Maybe get them to confirm whether there was a problem with the structure of babies heart? I think if there was a problem with the structure they would have made it clear. Hopefully it will right itself, good luck!

Instead of listening to hb why doesn't your dr just do an ultrasound and evaluate the 4 chambers of the heart etc and blood flow in arteries? I would insist on a proper ultrasound with a dr not a technician. I'm sure everything is ok and it was just hard to hear through your hb, placenta and everything else xx

Yes, I was wondering the same, but I think he was trying to ease any worries, plus I'd just had the 20 week ultrasound within the last month, so I think his thought of if it was going to be something baby outgrew he wanted to still give it some time. I'm trying to figure out if I should push for a u/s at this next appt or not. I guess if it still sounds irregular I will, but I feel like even if it doesn't I'll still be worried that there may be something that isn't getting picked up on the doppler.

I hope everything goes well, I think if they were very very worried they would scheduled an appointment next day or something. Hang in there mamma! :hugs:

Hugs xxx
If the structure was irregular u would think they should hve caught that on the anatomy scan.
When my ds was a few month old his neurologist thought she heard arthymia in his hb
He was sent for scan on his hear to check.
They said all perfect.
He has thank god
No heart trouble at all.
His neuro just thought she heard extra sound
So was being cautious.
It must be hard to distinguish sounds in utero.
I know its impossible to not worry
But bear in mind its most likely nothing
And even if is slight problem
In vast majority of babies it fixes its self as they develop.
I would ask for another scan next time
For ur peace of mind though x
Hugs x

Thank you lilesMom, that does give me a little comfort. At my anatomy scan the tech had a lot of trouble measuring the heart (I won't even get started on how she seemed super rushed and totally showed gender even though I said I wanted a surprise) so I feel like she may not have been very thorough. My DD's anatomy scan was nearly an hour, this one was barely 30 minutes, so I don't feel like the fact that I'd already had a scan is giving much assurance right now. I'm going to see how next Wednesday goes and if it sounds the same and the dr doesn't order a U/S, I'll request one, but I would hope he would at that point.

Thank you all for your support!

Hope wed comes around fast for u hon xxx
Waiting is horrible xx
Hope u get u/s that day too xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g