Please
More
Hungry
Brush Teeth
Teddy Bear
Finished
Drink
Eat

That's about it, I think at the moment. How's Rhys doing?

Anyone know the sign for Tractor?

Yes
No
Please
More
Hungry
Thankyou
Finished
Drink
Eat
Jump
Look
Come
Sleep
Gone
Sweets
OK
Perfect
Cheese
Bread
Sandwhich
Tired
1,2 and 3
Hat
Glasses

erm... im sure he knows more...

Ooh I really want to start going to these... what do you have to do?

*edit* Actually is Seth too young?

xxx

The sign for Tractor is like bus - big wide arms driving a huge steering wheel but bumping up and down at the same time. No, really!

I have a bunch of sign books, at what age did you start signing with baby?

I went to classes at 6 months but didn't get any signs back til 12 months! Although we thought he understood them. I was about to give up! He's now 2 years and talking but still uses signs for words he can't or won't say. I thought it was such a great thing. We're hoping he'll teach his younger brother too. He's only 3 months old, but never too early.

I can't wait to start trying to sign with Connor!!

I'm planning on starting with Bella at 6 months too!

What books are these, & where can you get them? Also what are the classes called it all sounds so interesting!

we started signing with Rhys around a year ago, so he was 9months. ive just signed him up to his first set of 'sing and sign' classes.. its a 10week program. me and my husband absolutely love to sign to rhys and can communicate much much better with him.

We started at around 6 months using the Sing and Sign DVD as I couldn't find classes near us at a good time.

I've already started! Start as early as possible. I teach deaf children so know BSL and a lot of my friends who started teaching their little ones from birth started getting signs back at 6-7 months. My one friend started getting "finished" from her little 6 month old to show he was finished with his swing. Incredible! Marlowe watches my hands whenever I sign to her so I know she's picking things up even though she's so young.

I got all the books thinking that baby signing was great, but never got past the sign for milk and maybe a few others (tried it around the 6-8 month mark with Bethanie). It really helps that Bethanie speaks loads, or I might have been more interested in it.. I could imagine how much it will help, especially with kids that aren't picking up on the language as quickly (for example, my brother is dyslexic and didn't speak until way over 3, so my mum must have had a terrible time understanding what he wanted etc).
I might try it with the next baby we have!

Anyone know the sign for grapes?

I teach deaf children so know BSL and a lot of my friends who started teaching their little ones from birth started getting signs back at 6-7 months. My one friend started getting "finished" from her little 6 month old to show he was finished with his swing. Incredible! Marlowe watches my hands whenever I sign to her so I know she's picking things up even though she's so young.

Would be interested in your opinion on this but my MIL is a chartered teacher for the deaf and she is very against the signing classes for non deaf kids as with her research it has shown that it can hinder their speach development and they will sign rather than try to learn the words.

I was going to do the courses with Ewan but was put off by MIL as she said they were basically another money con for mums.

I'd heard that too hypnorm but I think as long as you speak as you sign there shouldn't be a problem. Mine are picking up words, it just helps you understand if they sign at the same time too.

Can anyone recommend a good DVD or book?

xxx

Hello from TTC, I'm really interested in BSL and I'm thinking of doing a class next year at my local Deaf Awareness Centre, and I was thinking of teaching my child BSL, is it easier when their older or younger if anyone knows?

helen - grapes is a difficult one to explain if you havent seen it...

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/HCS/research/EBSLD/index.htm

this should help you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"