Help & advice please clomid vs progesterone & ultrasound

Watson101

Reaction score
Hi - I've just been prescribed clomid by the fertility clinic but am a little worried about taking it as I've read it thins the lining.... I have very light periods and have been working with a Chiniese Dr to regulate my cycles and help my lining using acupuncture and herbs since February when I had a MC. I'm worried all the good work with the lining will be un-done by the clomid....

I have an ultrasound scan (internal) booked for Thursday. They didn't ask for a particular day in my cycle, just sent a date through. What will they be looking for? Will they look at follicles or at the lining? I'll be approx 3DPO when I go - is this a good time? I have never had an ultrasound before and do not know what to expect - or what questions I should ask...

To be honest - I am not sure why I've been given clomid either as looking at my charts on FF I do seem to ovulate looking at the temps and the readings on my clearblue fertilty monitor - the Chinese Dr says I have low progesterone which was backed up by the blood test so why did they not give me progesterone instead of clomid?

I am just worried clomid might make things worse rather than better....

Can anyone advise on the clomid vs progesterone thing or the ultrasound thing?

I'd be really grateful for any ideas.

X

cd3 is perfect, usually the first ultrasound is to look at your antral follicle count, check for cysts etc. they might do some bloodwork on that day too? they usually test FSH, estrogen etc.

clomid is usually the first step on the fertility ladder and they often prescribe even if you are ovulating. I ovulated fine and I had it for 3 months. It can make you ovulate more than 1 egg so your chances of pregnancy are greater. its completely different to progesterone so they wouldnt prescribe either or, but they might give you clomid and progesterone.

clomid can thin your lining but lots of people are fine on it, so dont worry. usually they will do ultrasounds throughout your cycle so they can monitor and theres a drug they can give you to thicken it. if you think you do have lining problems ask them to prescribe you progesterone to take after ovulation.

Sarah - you are a star - thank you so much for your response - it's all a bit overwhelming and scary so good to get some sound advice and to know what to expect tomorrow. I'll ask about the lining and see what they say.

Good luck with your money raising and the IVF!! everything crossed for you. XXX

Hi - I've just got back from my first ultrasound - according to the clearblue fertility monitor and the rise in my temperature today I ovulated this morning.

The sonographer says my lining looks fine and that it looks like I have ovulated from both ovaries so that was better news than I expected having been prescribed clomid. She also said I have a retorverted uterus but from a bit of quick reading on here that doesn't seem to present a big problem.

So my worry is, should I really be taking the clomid? If I have already ovulated from both ovaries then doesn't look like I need the clomid and that the problem lies with my low progesterone...

In the UK where I live, on clomid I do not go back to the Dr until I have taken the drug for 4 months - there's no monitoring apart from a day 21 progesterone blood test in the first cycle... I don't even get to go in and discuss the findings of the ultrasound report which will be sent to the Dr next week.

Do you girls think I should phone and try and see if they will see me to discuss this or just take the clomid?

Grrr just don't know what to do but if I have low progesterone even if clomid makes me ovulate even more I can't sustain a pregnancy right?

I personally am not a fan of clomid though I know alot of people that it appears to have helped.

I like you already ovulate on my own. I only took for 2 months and it did thin my lining and caused an ovarian cyst. It was prescribed by my regular Gyno because that is all she was able to do to help. Once I started seeing the FS, he took me off the clomid and in his opinion, felt it did not really help someone who was already ovulating.

I would be hesitant to take it for 4 months without any additional monitoring outside of a Day 21 Progesterone test. I would discuss with the doctor to see if you can obtain further testing along the way to make sure you are not wasting your efforts.

Fertility treatments are supposed to make you hopeful not end up worrying the entire time that you've made it worse. It's worth a discussion with your doctor. :winkwink:

Thanks for the advice Hockey much appreciated - I think I am going to call the fertility clinic on Monday and ask if I can have an appointment to discuss everything again. I don't want to cause a fuss but on the other hand really don't want to be making things worse than they are.

Hi, hope you don't mind me putting my two-penneth in.

All I can do is give you my Clomid experience and it wasn't a very good one.

I expected Clomid to be my miracle tablet and be pregnant immediately...I wasn't. I OV'd perfectly fine naturally but Clomid altered all of that.

It turned me into a raving loon and I do mean RAVING LOON (it is amazing that I still have a OH lol).

Clomid striped me of all natural CM (TMI, but I was bone dry). I am just getting back to normal after a couple of years and I take a supplement that I buy off the net - FertileCM by Fairhaven Health. Also try pre-seed if you suffer from poor CM.

I mentioned all of this to my GP only the other day as I am convinced that Clomid did more harm to me than good and he could only agree. After all most of the time they are prescribing Clomid tablets like sweets and it is generally the first start of any fertility treatment.

Let us know how you got on at the docs and what they said.

I hope it goes better for you than me but already you've had the guts to question and I just went along and did it :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->