• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HELP ASAP pumping for a baby not aloud to nurse.

Dk1234

Mom to Coen
Reaction score
My baby is in respritory distress. He is NPO for now. My milk didn't come in for 5 days last time. I've pumped twice since he was born 5 hrs and I'm getting basically nothing. Help me.

How do I ensure we can breastfeed once I'm aloud to nurse him? Amyone have any advice?

Pump for at least 15 minutes every 2-3 hours. You will only get a little at first, but your milk will come in! Drink and eat plenty, get some rest and as soon as baby can try to nurse get a lactation consultant to help.

My milk also took 5 days to come in. I wouldn't get anything for days pumping. Just keep at it. Part of it is the stress you are in having a sick baby. You were very successful last time and I am sure that your milk will be in shortly. Just keep pumping every three hours for 20 minutes. I was told it speeds things up to do both sides at once. Make sure and get plenty of fluids and eat a balanced diet. And take a deep breath. Oh and use a hospital grade pump if you can get one. You can always start taking fenugreek or milk thistle. Eat some steel cut oats or make some lactation cookies. Sorry rambly.

Pumping colostrum is waaay more miss than hit. Hand expression of colostrum into syringes is a more effective way of actually collecting any.
Other than that, just keep pumping, pumping, pumping. Even if you aren't removing anything, the frequent nipple stimulation will help your supply come in and set the stage for a good supply once it is in. If you can stand to do it more often than two hours, I would do so. If you remember DS1's first week of nursing, I would try to imitate that.
Does your hospital have a pump for you to use? If they don't, make sure you request that they borrow one in. It can get there from a neighboring hospital fast.
Are they supplying donor milk? If you happen to be in a hospital that doesn't do so, Eats on Feets on facebook is a person-to-person milk sharing resource. I'm sure there's a mom there happy to deliver milk to you and supply her medical screen records.
Congratulations, Dk! And :hugs:

Pumping colostrum is waaay more miss than hit. Hand expression of colostrum into syringes is a more effective way of actually collecting any.
Other than that, just keep pumping, pumping, pumping. Even if you aren't removing anything, the frequent nipple stimulation will help your supply come in and set the stage for a good supply once it is in. If you can stand to do it more often than two hours, I would do so. If you remember DS1's first week of nursing, I would try to imitate that.
Does your hospital have a pump for you to use? If they don't, make sure you request that they borrow one in. It can get there from a neighboring hospital fast.
Are they supplying donor milk? If you happen to be in a hospital that doesn't do so, Eats on Feets on facebook is a person-to-person milk sharing resource. I'm sure there's a mom there happy to deliver milk to you and supply her medical screen records.
Congratulations, Dk! And :hugs:

He is still npo on iv only. But I have donated my own milk. I nursed my on for 5 months if my pregnancy so I have frozen milk that is only 7 months old that the pediatrician is fine with me using. So he'll get only bm from me just no colostrum cause I am not making enough to even keep in a syringe. I have a double electric medela so I'm using that. I'm pumping every 3 hrs right now.

I got to do skin to skin for the first time so that was nice. He actually rooted some so I have hope that it'll work out for us.

Congratulations DK. Sorry I don't have any advice but I'm so happy for you that you're a mum again. That's amazing. Sorry it's been stressful, hope things settle down very soon. Congratulations again. xx

Are you hand expressing? I couldn't get any colostrum by pumping but when I hand expressed for 20 minutes I got almost 1 mL. It wasn't a lot, but it was something. Good luck to you. Hopefully your milk comes in soon.

I expressed for my son for 10 weeks while he was is nicu. The most important thing is to pump every 3 hours and make sure you do it at least once a night as the milk producing hormone peaks at night. Make sure you are well hydrated and make sure you have an extra chocolate bar every day or flapjack I've heard is fantastic. Its such hard work but you will get there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->