Help - Breastfeeding question/support

Kay_

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I'm currently in my second trimester and have been thinking a lot about breastfeeding vs bottle-feeding..
I'm a little unsure of which to go with, I'd like to try breastfeeding but also a little worried about how it would feel...or if it will feel too weird for me:shrug: For those of you who went through breastfeeding for the first time or are currently still breastfeeding their first child, I would love to hear your thoughts on it or any suggestions/advice you have for me would be amazing!:flow::help:

It never occurred to me it would feel weird - I guess just because that's how everyone in my family has been fed. I think for a lot of people it doesn't (physically) feel like anything much, for a lot of others it can be painful in the beginning as you and baby figure out how to work together to get a good position. Pain is common but not something that needs to be put up with and it's not 'normal till you toughen up'. Seek help if you have pain and challenge people who say that's just how breastfeeding feels. When you get engorged, feeding a baby can feel wonderful like an itch getting scratched.

Emotionally it feels lovely (when it is going well) but there are times when it can feel overwhelming to have a life relying on you to survive and to feel constantly attached. However I think its a myth that this doesn't happen with bottles. In reality even when bottle feeding it will be you who will do most feeds, you'll be the one who wakes for every noise at night with others sleep on, and babies sometimes refuse bottles from others (its actually part of their biological programming to only feel safe with you at first).

Support, support, support is so vital. Surround yourself with people who are breastfeeding or have breastfed. There's so much contradictory info out there and everyone has their own "You should be..." but remember you are mum, it's up to you and what you want matters. If something doesn't feel right maybe it isn't, challenge people, ask questions and keep talking.

I was very similar to you during my first pregnancy thinking bfing could be weird yet I never considered formula unless breast was a no go. I got over it pretty quickly when my midwife got handsy and tried to "help" get the boob into babies mouth and show DH how he could help only 2 too many hands on my breasts that moment :haha: my fears went away after that. After that I had to make sure I was covered decently if someone else entered the room, bfing or not. ;)

My fears totally went away, baby is hungry: whip a breast oit. Baby is hungry, that's how it eats.

I have breastfed four babies and I am so glad I did. For me, the nutritional aspect is just a small part of it. The bond you get with your baby from breastfeeding is very special. I combi fed my first baby from three weeks and I felt just as bonded by the way but the breastfeeding certainly helped. With all of them breastfeeding past six months helped my body to get slimmer than I've ever been. I now fully advocate breastfeeding and have trained as a peer supporter. If you are thinking about breastfeeding it might help you to decide by attending a breastfeeding group at the children's centre. That way you can buildup a network of friends who feed their babies and you have a place to go if you are experiencing any problems once back to arrives. It's good to have a social network of friends who are feeding.

In answer to your question about feeling weird. It can feel odd initially because the breasts are getting used to it and it can feel a little sore at the start but breastfeeding isn't supposed to hurt and once established it shouldn't hurt or feel weird at all. If it does there may be a problems such as position or attachment. Attending a group will show you optimal position and attachment.

There are also antenatal classes to attend which are really helpful so I recommend getting on a course before baby arrives.

Whatever you decide it is a personal decision and it has to be right for you and your baby. Good luck.

I was really young when I had my first, I didn’t see breastfeeding in quite the same light as I do today. Back then I saw boobs as a sexual object, so feeding my baby felt as if I was doing something wrong. Eventually I gave up and formula fed him after a few weeks.
With second child I breastfed for maybe 8 weeks give or take, before stopping completely and switching to solely formula. I had been giving formula before then during the evenings. I found it extremely tiring and also amazing. Didn’t breastfeed daughter as was told not to (antibiotics I was on at the time). Physically it’s fine as long as you do things like massage boobs, apply a good nipple cream otherwise lumpy rock hard boobs and sore nipples can be a real nightmare!
I’m currently breastfeeding out lo who’s 8 weeks tomorrow. He’s like a little vampire though! I have fairly sizeable boobs so I do find it rather awkward sometimes and finding a good position isn’t always easy. A support pillow is good, or simple a regular pillow can be fine too. Try different positions too. Also I would invest in a decent breast pump, but first I would try one of the many milk collectors like the Nature Bond or Haakaa as they’re cheap and fabulous at collecting what you would otherwise lose to a breast pad whilst you feed. It’s a good way of building up a supply of milk you can then feed via bottle if you want to, without spending loads if you decide to formula feed instead. Of course, if you don’t like breastfeeding directly plenty exclusively pump instead, which is an option.
Personally I do both, and sometimes if I’m struggling to express much we give formula, so I can get some sleep otherwise I wouldn’t see any!
The best thing though is the extra close Bond

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->