Help choosing contraception

kirstylm

Reaction score
I'm sooooooo confused!
Need to get on board with some contraception as only using condoms at moment and I hate them and don't trust them!

I've tried so many different pills and they have either made me really moody or I've completely lost any sex drive!

I feel good now and my sex drive is back so am kinda nervous to take anything.

I'm not liking the sound of the coil and the Mirena coil won't be good for me my Me said as it has hormones and the copper coil I've heard is painful and I just generally don't like the thought of having it in me.

I've also been told the implant isn't very good and it also has hormones so that's a no no for me as I have bad mood swings as it is.

I'm running out of option and were now thinking of hubby having the snip but that seems so drastic!

Can anyone help? Does anyone else have bad mood swings that is finding some other contraception working for them? I'm so worried something is going to kill my sex drive as I'm enjoying having it back again and our relationship is so good right now, when I lost it our relationship was quite low.

Help?!

I'm pregnant right now and loving every second of it - puking, fatigue and all - because not only is my sex drive through the roof, sex is awesome right now and I have no need for Birth Control! It's nice to have no real issues (outside of crying at a few commercials and being generally bizarre - but that's par for the course for me).

What sucks is thinking about AFTER the twins arrive. I despise condoms, not because they aren't effective but because they simply aren't fun in any monogamous relationship and putting one on in a dark room usually results in someone getting hurt, mad, frustrated and/or it just takes away the mood.

I cannot do anything hormonal either since it sends me into a state close to that of a homicidal lunatic. Plus, I hate the idea of intimacy while raging and jacked up on estrogen. I feel like an old bear, and it's just plain awful... the sheer idea that I might turn into my miserable mother at any given moment is enough to put the kibosh to hormones and such crap.

The non-hormonal IUD a relative of mine had put in. She hates it because of the fact she has hellish periods now and NEVER had them that bad. And by bad I mean, gone through 4 bed-sheets in a week and wearing an adult diaper kinda bad. She finally is having it removed.

And a friend of mine got pregnant last year with Mirena which was WAY more drama than life needs (baby was fine but they had to leave the Mirena in there for the duration of her pregnancy).

So I crossed those off my list too.

The list of really bad risks gets worse here on out. But the silver lining is, that yes, the snip I hear - from literally everyone I talk to - is the absolute best.

Yes, guys freak out over the concept but it's better than what women go through to have tubes tied or tore up or for us to suffer through drugged up madness or being inserted with weird objects and so forth and so on... It's, honestly, me and my significant other's next move (whether he knows it or not) because I refuse to go on any drugs, stick anything foreign inside me, or goof around with charting, rhythm, cervical mucus and general guesswork.

One of my best guy friends swears by his snip. It destroyed his marriage to a human sperm-jacker looking for early retirement, but saved him from a baby that would have resulted in financial indentured servitude to a psycho-gold digger. He said the procedure wasn't a big deal and ultimately really makes his now divorced life 1000x better (typical male! LOL). It's a treat not to have to worry OR be removed from a general sense of self balance.

And, truly, a guy going through one simple procedure so he can party with his pants off without an accident is hardly drastic after us womenfolk have turned into large-incubators, then cracked open and divided, making little human creatures. I have little sympathy for the effort put into 'male' birth control on a regular basis after the tortures women put on ourselves. Men really have a process WAY simpler to deal with and much more effective than anything we women go through - regardless of how big a baby they want to be about it...

So, I vote SNIP!

Finding the right kind of contraception can be a total nightmare! I'm totally with you on that one!

I have, however, found something that I LOVE. After my son was born two years ago, I decided to give the Pill another try. I did a lot of research before finally deciding on a the generic form of Ortho Novum 1/35. There are different generics for this pill all by the names of Necon 1/35, Nortrel 1/35, and Cyclafem 1/35.

This particular pill is known as a monophasic pill, which just means it has the same amounts of hormones in your body for the three active weeks you are taking your active pills. I have found that the other types (biphasic and triphasics) made me moody as hell!

I actually skip my placebo week to avoid getting my period and go straight to a new pack.

Another benefit of this pill is that it has DRASTICALLY reduced my migraine/headaches. I've gone from getting them nearly every day to maybe once ever two weeks. I think the steady hormones help with that.

It's definitely worth checking out!

Also, I used to have the ParaGard IUD (copper). I HATED it! Seriously, I started getting this weird light green discharge and my periods were so painful and lasted up to 8 days. I had that thing removed after trying to put up with misery for two years. Don't recommend it.

Sorry for the long response. Hope this helped you a bit! Good luck! :flower:

Hi there,

I am awful with hormones too but before we started TTC I had the implant and then the POP.

The implant was the most hellish experience of my life and in the end I went in tears to my doctor begging for her to take it out after 2 years. I was depressed, hormonal and just a general horrible person to be around.

They put me on the POP and what a difference it made. They gave me Micronor which is sort of unheard of around young people because you only have a 3 hour gap to make sure you take your pills in. When I went back and saw a different gp she was shocked that they gave me that just because of the short window.

I had no migranes and felt completely balanced for the time I was on it.

On the other hand one of my friends has the diaphram and she adores it. Whilst not the most dignified contraception she puts it in every night before she goes to bed and then sex or no sex she keeps it in for the rest of the night and takes it out in the morning. She swears by it and has been using it for about 7 years and no accidental pregnancies, she stopped using it to have her son but went straight back to it.

Its a barried method and pretty sure it uses spermicide too so it could be an alternative if you don't wholely trust condoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->