Help for a confused farther

lucas87

Reaction score
Hey guys & girls my little man was born on Saturday and i have a few questions about feeding if any of you could help i would be great right

My wife has been breast feeding since he was born but she has really big boobs and he's having trouble latching and getting in the right place and he just keeps screaming the place down so we are opting for formula now as i can feed him aswell etc right my questions are when i sterilize the bottles the machine says they stay sterile for 3hrs then 2 then 1 is this how long you have to put the mix in the bottle etc ??? and my second question is how do we cool, store, and reheat the bottles with the mixed formula in and do i need to rinse all the bottle components after they have been sterilized or do i just put the mix and water in and go from there thanks xxxxx

Has anyone suggested to your wife on trying to use a breast shield? I found them extremely helpful for latching my babies when breastfeeding.

As for formula when we started using it we would sterilize the bottles...then we would cool boiled water...mix the formula with cooled down water and pour into the bottles and then store them in the fridge until needed. To heat the cold bottles we would place the bottle in a cup of HOT water and after 2mins the bottle was warmed and ready to serve. I would only make up about 4-5 bottles at a time as they are only good pre-made for about 24hrs in the fridge.

Ah right ace thanks for the help yes she has but baby hated them with a passion fussy little sod the mid wife said he got the colosterum or what ever its called which is the most important also it says on the side if the formula tin 6 feeds in 24hrs is that all he's aloud ??? if so what if he wants more ????

Heya.

The number of feeds per 24 hours printed on formula tins is waaaaay outdated and current advice is to feed on demand. So whenever he wants a bottle feed him! For a newborn this is likely to be 6-10 bottles in 24 hours, as they need to feed little and often at this age.

To make bottles in advance and store them in the fridge for later, the World Health Organisation recommends the following method as the safest way to premake:

1. Boil freshly run water in kettle and leave to cool for 20-30 mins.
2. Take sterilised bottles and fill with correct amount of water.
3. Add correct amount of scoops of formula to the bottles.
4. Shake for 10-15 seconds to mix.
5. Stand bottles in a basin of cold water for 10-15 mins to rapid cool them.
6. Put bottles in the back of the fridge (not the door).
7. When baby needs a bottle, take one out of the fridge and stand in a jug of warm water/bottle warmer until desired temperatue, then feed straight away. Discard any milk left unfinished after 1 hour.
8. Throw away any stored feeds if not used within 24 hours.

As for the steriliser question, Im not 100% sure as all steirlisers have different instructions. I was told that once bottles are sterilised, if you assemble them fully and store in the cupboard then they will stay sterile for 24 hours.

Hope this helps.

Lucas- give your baby as much milk as he wants.there is no limit at this age that is just a guidline.

another way to make a bottle.

Fill your flask in the morning. Also sterilize bottles and pour few bottles of boiled water into them cool them in cold water then put those bottles of water in the fridge.

If you need to make a 4 ounce bottle.

pour 2 ounce boiled water and then the amount of scoops shake.
then add 2 ounces of coool boiled water. and shake test on wrist for temp . and serve.

that should be quicker. I also prefer this because if you make it fresh you have 2 hours to drink it ( provided your babys mouth hasnt touched the bottle. obvously after they have touched it on there mouth you have 1 hour. but from the fridge uk guidlines say you hve 15 minutes to drink it not 1 hour because its been in the fridge for 24 hours. alot of people dont know that.

Also about sterilizing. with a microwave sterilizer.

you wash the bottles in warm wter and soap ( buy a teat brush and a sponge that you only use for his bottles dont use the same sponge to do your washing) then rince then put in the sterilizer and add the right amount of water.
read the sterilizer instrucions

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->