Help from anyone who opted for elective.

katealim

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

I know I am a long ways from delivery but I'm looking for advice. Before we even decided to ttc we knew we wanted a C-section. I already have 2 girls but our last dd was an extremely traumatic birth and we're hoping to avoid this again. My DD was born apr. 1st 2005 as an undiagnosed breech, (didn't know till it was her butt coming out and not her head). Anyways as a result her head got stuck and docs weren't prepared. She also had a double cord wrap around her neck. She was born without breathing and without a heart rate as she went to long without oxygen. Although they managed to recusitate she was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy at 3 mo. and suffered NEC from the lack of oxygen. She is now 6 and has had 32 surgeries and needed lots of extra care. We adore her and are lucky with how well she is now doing, (walking, talking, etc) but are scared to go through a vag. delivery again. How likely is it that we can request a C-section and will they take me seriously? Also how soon did you let your dr. know that this was what you wanted? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is new territory for us!

so sorry to hear about ur traumatic birth. I elected for a section as my daughter was stillborn due to cord prolapse, this was aa pregnancy in 2010 after which I had a son by vbac but who has head issues due to being stuck during labour. I think u should speak to your midwife and see your consultant. I had these worries and am booked for a section on 12th April because I feel its safer for my baby to be born via section. I was prepared to fight and had endless nights where I was planning on what to say, even writing down everything. In the end I went to conssultant and explained to him in tears, why I wanted a section. To my surprise he was totally understanding and felt the same! I even got referred to a special midwife to talk over my fears so it was definately a good idea to speak with him. Due to your history I think u will not be refused a section. Good luck and don't give up on what you believe is right for you and your baby.

I cant comment on how things work in Canada but I would think given your history that would be taken into consideration.

Make sure you speak to your practitioners as soon as is possible to start the process, it may not be a struggle and they'll agree straight away so try not to stress yourself about it, 1st tri is difficult enough as it is without worrying about a fight you may not have to have.

Hope all goes well for you, have a look at 'gentle cesarean' have a google and see how gentle and natural a CS can be if planned properly.

if i was your consultant i would give you elective without any problem.
im sorry for your experience.i had traumatic birth with my son he stuck and came out not breathing thank god they got him back he is fine now he is 1 year old next week.im pregnant again and im having elective this time i spoke with my consultant and just told him what my feelings are on subject(i broke down and started crying too)im not sure how is in canada with issues like that (im from UK)
i hope will worked out for you!

Thank you all for your responses ladies. I am going for my first appt. on Monday and I think I'll just bring it up right away. Hopefully they will understand...it seems like you guys didn't really have a problem getting an elective. I really like the idea of a "gentle c-section", had no idea that was even an option; thanks. I will also ask about that.

I was planning for an elective c-section before I got pregnant, which I mentioned to my ob/gyn when we met at 9wks -- she had no problem with my choice, but perhaps list the reasons why, just in case -- be strong and adament (sp?) and I am sure that all will be ok, particularly given your history (I had a traumatic mc experience and wanted as much 'control' and doctor assistance as possible at the birth of my LO); ironically, I had to have an emergency c-section at 36wks due to pre-eclampsia, but regardless, mention it from the beginning as I did, and I am sure you will be fine!

best wishes

I'm having a c-section due to 7 years of chronic pelvic pain and my OB was in completely agreement (I'm in Canada too). I doubt you will have an issue getting your section given you have very valid reasons to ask for one!

the gentle CS should be the norm rather than the tug the poor bugger s out option so many of us get!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->