Help - I'm in a panic! Progesterone levels

ginamurr

Reaction score
So, I just found out I am preg on Monday after not having a period since July. (Sidenote: I had a blood test for preg a few weeks ago and it was neg.)The dr. had me get a blood test yesterday to determine gestational age.

The results were:
HCG - 4356 (so 4 weeks preg)
Progesterone - 4.3

The dr said the lab notes that 4.1-34 progesterone is normal, but the dr would prefer I be closer to 15.

Then she asked me if I am bleeding at all - I'm not.

She is sending me back for labs tomorrow to check my levels again.

I won't have results until Friday! Then she will decide whether I need progesterone supplements.

In the meantime - I am FREAKING OUT!!!

Has this happened to anyone? If it did - what wound up happening? Help!

My progesterone was 12.5(low) then dropped to 9.5( too low)
got put on progesterone supplements oral and vaginal.
Not in the clear yet, but that was two and a half weeks ago.
I am 8w3d now according to yesterdays scan.
Everything looks good for now.
Your levels will surely go up with progesterone supplements and that helps the baby implant better and keeps your uterus from contracting.
There is no harm done from them that I know of.

Good luckk<3 thinking of you

My progesterone was 12.5(low) then dropped to 9.5( too low)
got put on progesterone supplements oral and vaginal.
Not in the clear yet, but that was two and a half weeks ago.
I am 8w3d now according to yesterdays scan.
Everything looks good for now.
Your levels will surely go up with progesterone supplements and that helps the baby implant better and keeps your uterus from contracting.
There is no harm done from them that I know of.

Good luckk<3 thinking of you

Thanks - I just hope that I get the correct interventions early enough to prevent any problems.

I haven't had any bleeding or anything. I have had back pain and I have read some scary things about lower back pain and low progesterone.

I have to stay off the computer! There are too many bad things out there!

I know exactlyy what you mean Hun.
Seriously.
I'm a hypochondriac and stay on the computer all day researching what could go wrong!
Big no no.
Everytime I did that everything was fine.
4 weeks is plenty early to intervene. They intervened with me at 5.5 weeks
and I had lower back pain from 4-6 weeks with no bleeding.
I'm pretty sure it's normal.
I actually posted something about it after researching lower back pain and low progesterone.
Everyone has lower back pain pretty much in pregnancy

My level was a bit low- 12.8. I'm now on progesterone to get it a bit higher. I was nervous about it too, but my doctor said that it's pretty common. Good luck :flower:

I am just going to stay hopeful and try to be patient. (Easier said than done!)

Luckily, I am SOOOO busy at work and at home with my other kids that I won't have much time to sit around and obsess over this in the next few days.

My progesterone levels have always been low. I've been on supplements for longer then I can remember. My doctor was closely monitoring my cycles, and I've been on progesterone (vaginal) for 6 weeks now, I will continue for another 4 weeks (until 10 week mark). The medicine is called Crinodone.
My doctor told me that high progesterone levels help the baby attach, and helps sustain the pregnancy during the first 10-12 weeks (the crucial period)

my friend had low progesterone and she just had to take progesterone shots i believe it was like times a week for the first trimester and then she was done.

They told me my progesterone was 21.8 on Monday which is too low! Which now sounds silly as you are only getting 4.3. My HCG is lower than yours and I am 3-4 weeks. I really think it depends on the doctor! The more I read at the moment the more fed up I am with the medical profession.

If progesterone is low you can take supplements, so don't worry too much.

Hope your results are good on Friday.

FYI - the levels used in the US are different than UK levels...
the UK's normal level is 30
In the US the normal level is more like 10

So Faith - I think you are in the UK an the OP is in the US

4.3 IS low...
However, you can also research and see how progesterone levels fluctuate throughout the day. So your doctor may want a 2nd test to confirm.
Your doctor is also probably cautious and I assume they'll be checking HCG again? If progesterone is low and HCG is not rising or is even falling, then its a miscarriage... if they put you on the progesterone suppositories it can prevent a miscarriage from happening but if the pregnancy is non-viable, it will just prevent your body from doing what it needs to.
Most doctors will just put you on the suppositories, but being cautious and waiting another day really shouldn't put you at any harm as long as you're not spotting/bleeding.
Which is why they kept asking you about that, lol.

Keep us posted. If you get ANY spotting... don't hesitate to demand progesterone supplements... they don't hurt ANYTHING and they only 'bad' thing they can do is prolong a non-viable pregnancy... but better safe than sorry!

hi ! im new to this , but im really scared b/c I don't kniw what's going on :shrug: . I got a positive pregnancy test on 7/29 , confirmed positive with doctor on 8/8 . started bleeding with mild-sharp but quick cramps on 8/12 . went to doctor on 8/13 & got blood drawn . HCG was 1395 with progesterone @ 1.1 :( , doc told me I'm miscarrying due to my low progest. levels .. got blood drawn again 8/15 and my HCG dropped to 390 :( .. Am I really miscarrying b/c I haven't had any bleeding or cramping since 8/18

hi ! im new to this , but im really scared b/c I don't kniw what's going on :shrug: . I got a positive pregnancy test on 7/29 , confirmed positive with doctor on 8/8 . started bleeding with mild-sharp but quick cramps on 8/12 . went to doctor on 8/13 & got blood drawn . HCG was 1395 with progesterone @ 1.1 :( , doc told me I'm miscarrying due to my low progest. levels .. got blood drawn again 8/15 and my HCG dropped to 390 :( .. Am I really miscarrying b/c I haven't had any bleeding or cramping since 8/18

Hi. You'll get more responses if you start a new thread. I'm so sorry you're going through this. With dropping levels, I'd say that I agree with your doctor. I'm so sorry. I'd make another dr appt. to make sure everything is okay with your body.

My progesterone was a 3.5 (yes 3.5!!!) and my hcg was only 27 at 3w5d. My dr gave me an oral progesterone supplement to take twice a day (100ml a day). My progesterone shot up to 12 in 2 days. then kept climbing. I took until about 15 weeks and my baby girl just turned 9 weeks today! :)

Even though this is an old thread, it still pops up so going to add my 2 cents worth! Thank you JCliff for that response in 2013...it gives me hope! I had my hcg and progesterone taken yesterday and it was a 17.34 hcg and 3.9 progesterone (I think I implanted 3 days prior to blood tests). My Dr. put me on 200 mg prometrium but I am freaking out! I have destined myself to a blighted ovum but trying to find hope somewhere and that helped. Popped positive on hpt 3 days ago and clearblue digital still says 'not pregnant'..lines on frer were getting darker until this morning (same darkness) but keep telling myself that they are always darker in the afternoon..period due today. Will try to give update for future readers if anything else!

Well sad update...2 days ago my hcg was 17.34 & progesterone was 3.9 and today HCG is 10.78 & progesterone is 5.5. Dr. put me on oral prometrium 200 mg. Starting to spot already so its a chemical! Sad but I don't think hubby was all to excited anyway and figuring this is the last time we try. Hanging up the fertility shoes and moving on! Good luck to all that read and bless you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->