Help! Look at this picture!

Connorsmom612

Mother of 1 and TTC #2
Reaction score
Ok so my son has had this rash on his lower tummy and I didn't think anything of it until my mom mentioned that it looked like RINGWORM! What do you think?

https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k259/mmdasch/moreconnor096.jpg
https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k259/mmdasch/moreconnor097.jpg
https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k259/mmdasch/moreconnor098.jpg

Has anybody else had this before? What should I do?

It does look like ring worm, my friend has it on her ankle.

Obviously, just get it checked professionally to be on the safe side x

So I just called my doctor and he is on vacation until August 5th!! There was a number for another doctor so I'm gonna have to give them a ring.

get it checked out just to be sure but yes it kinda does look like ringworm

yup looks like ringworm

I use an anti-fungal med on it from the pharmacy. but keep putting it on the area one week after symptoms disapear.

Call the doc for his advice.

:hug:

How did my baby get ringworm?

Chances are your baby got ringwormProbably from contact with an infected person or pet. The fungus can also be caught from infected towels, hairbrushes, combs, hats, and other clothing. If he's walking, he could also have picked it up on his feet from toddling around barefoot in an infected locker room or pool area.

Experts think there's some genetic tendency for catching ringworm. And excess sweating seems to increase the chances, too, as it the condition thrives best in humid climates

How should I treat ringworm?

For any unusual rash on your baby, start by talking with his doctor. For ringworm on the body, she'll probably suggest an over-the-counter antifungal cream. You'll need to apply it twice a day, covering an area about an inch beyond the rash.

It usually takes about three to four weeks to get rid of ringworm, and you'll continue to use the cream for a week after the rash is gone. (Some children are sensitive to these creams, so try using just a little bit at first to see how your baby's skin reacts. Consult your doctor for alternatives if your baby develops a different rash in reaction to the cream.) Remember to wash your hands well after you apply the cream.

If your baby has a stubborn case of ringworm, the doctor may prescribe something stronger than the over-the-counter cream. And in some rare cases (rarely), an oral medication is also necessary.

Ringworm of the scalp can be tougher to treat and can take longer to clear up. Your doctor will prescribe an oral antifungal medicine as well as a medicated shampoo. It will probably take at least six to eight weeks to clear up.

Make sure you thoroughly wash your baby's bedding and clothing when you start treatment so that he doesn't get reinfected.

Can I do anything to make sure my baby doesn't get ringworm again?

It's hard to completely protect your baby from ringworm, but there are a few things you can do to minimize his chances:
• Help him avoid excessive sweating (by not overdressing him, for example).

• If he's walking, have him wear sandals at pool areas and in locker rooms.

• Don't let others (like siblings) share towels, hairbrushes, pillows, clothing, or similar items with your baby.

• Check pets to make sure that they don't have any scaly, hairless patches. If they do, take them to the veterinarian for treatment. (In fact, even if a pet doesn't show symptoms, it's a good idea to bring it in for a checkup if your baby keeps getting reinfected.)

• If other family members show symptoms, make sure they get treated immediately.

From babycenter website.

Thanks for you help and advice everyone! I talked to a doctor and they just told me to put anti-fungal cream on it and it already looks better after one day!

I'm just worried as to how he got it...I'm afraid that our cat may have passed it onto him somehow...guess I have to call the vet now :cry:

Thanks for you help and advice everyone! I talked to a doctor and they just told me to put anti-fungal cream on it and it already looks better after one day!

I'm just worried as to how he got it...I'm afraid that our cat may have passed it onto him somehow...guess I have to call the vet now :cry:

Hey don't worry! Ringworm is fairly harmless (as far as I know!). It's actually a fungal thing, despite the name, there are no actual worms involved! You will probably never know where he got it. I got a dose when I was about 27. For all you know, he could have touched a door that someone else touched who had previously touched an infected animal..... Don't blame your own cat! Home kept felines are rarely carriers - and if they did have it there would be a few more cases around you.

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"