Help me plan a class for Teen Moms!

destova

Reaction score
I am working towards my Masters degree in Nursing with the plan to become a Certified Nurse Midwife at the end of it all. (Basically, I'll be able to do everything that an obgyn Doctor would do.)

A quick note about me- I became a mother at the age of 16 and am now 30, a mother of five and returning to nursing school after being out for 10 years to raise my kids.

I am talking with the local community health center and a few area high schools about creating a series of classes to help teen mothers prepare for their new roles in life. At first, I started listing things that I wish I had known/learned about back then. But then I realized that while I was once a teen mom, I am still starting to feel out of touch with the reality of being a teenager... So I'm posting to a few forums for teen moms to ask your opinions.

Basically the girls that would be attending my classes would not have regular access to the internet like you ladies do- so put yourself in their shoes for a moment if you can.

If you didn't have the internet to learn from, what topics would you like to learn about in a parenting class? Or maybe just tell me what topics you've researched online since discovering you were pregnant.

The ideas I had (feel free to be honest in telling me if they are useful ideas or not!)
- pregnancy basics (progression of pregnancy, nutritional needs, pain relieving techniques, etc.)

- labor and delivery basics (basically the science of how labor/delivery work)

- labor and delivery techniques to help with pain and keep things moving

- resources for parenting classes in the local area (lots of churches, schools, colleges offer parenting seminars and such for free, but I think most teen parents don't know about them)

- a visit from a La Leche League member to talk about breastfeeding basics, tips on how to keep breastfeeding even after returning to school, etc.

- stress reduction techniques (meditation, accu-pressure points, journaling, yoga, etc)

- birth control options after baby comes (the pill isn't always the best answer as life gets insane, that is how my second little one came along!!)

- nutrition for mom and baby with info on local farmers markets and the like

- baby wearing info including contact information for a local group that loans or gifts baby slings/wraps/etc.

- how to make homemade baby food- so much cheaper and easy as can be

- college options, what grants are available, how to find daycare, tips to keep up, etc.

- a list of local groups that offer free stuff to do with baby (museums, art centers, movies in the park, etc.) that are a great place to meet other moms, too.

So- tell me what you think about my ideas and PLEASE feel free to tell me what you would want to learn in a pregnancy/parenting type class if you didn't have the internet to search on.

thanks a million! And for those of you worried about how hard this will be- you are right. But trust me, it gets better and you figure out your own way. <3

Not many of us here have more than one baby,or have their first baby yet...so maybe it'd be better if you posted this in Teen Parenting because they have already had their babies.:kiss:

I'm guessing you're in the US? I'd say information about WIC/section 8/food stamps and womens health and abuse lines. Especially if these girls don't have regular internet access. Breast feeding info is great but also info on how to properly make up a bottle and basics like changing a diaper and taking a babies temperature.

This thread has been moved to press and research.

Please note that all such threads/posts must be placed here or will they be removed.

Multiple babies! I'm finding out on Thursday whether I'm actually having twins or not but of you are, it's twice as scary! No matter how old you are.
A teenager with 2 babies on the way could benefit a lot from other teen mums of multiples!
So if you mange to find info on that I'd definitely include it!
Relationship advice and help is big too, for the fob's that stick around, whether they have a romantic or just friendly relationship with the mother, it's hard. I'm struggling with my boyfriend a bit atm as I'm only 11 weeks and am still coming to terms with things, it's definitely a relationship strain and I'm worried about when the baby(s) is here, if we'll still struggle, etc!:)

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get it out there! Hope it helps!:)

That's exactly what my plan for college is! I'm starting toward my nursing in the fall (maybe spring) then I want to do the whole mid wife thing =)

But to answer your question:
WIC! And Medicaid - my mom took me off her insurance and it took me and my boyfriends mom 2 months to figure out how to get it and apply, it would have been nice to get help from someone who knew how to get it done!
Also breast feeding! I still don't know much about it, but I do most of my research online and I couldn't imagine not having the internet to learn more!
They should know what they absolutely must have for the baby and what is just fluff too!

I suggest you check out the "mellow Parenting" website, they have a mellow bumps trial at present which is a class for pregnant teenagers. Their stuff is good and is around reducing maternal and therefore fetal stress and anxiety, and promotes behaviours that will enhance attachment security...hope that helps and good luck..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->