Help me understand secondary infertility issues

anjswens

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here and looking for some answers and support.

I am 29 (husband is 33) and have 3 children which were conceived very easily. Now I have been trying for the last 12 months without success. I have been using OPK's so I know when I ovulate.

I saw a doctor a few weeks ago and he doesn't think there are any hormonal problems so he didn't order any blood work. He did give me lab orders for an HSG (to schedule once I start my period) and an order for a sperm analysis.

My question is what are the chances of me or my husband spontaneously having problems that can be detected my these tests? Like I said I conceived my other children very quickly. What things could cause secondary infertility in a healthy young mom/dad with no history of reproductive issues?

Any advice would be very appreciated. Nobody I talk to takes me seriously because I already have 3 kids. They don't think I could be having problems.

Thanks!!!

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble - I expect it's doubly frustrating for someone who's conceived easily 3 previous times.

My first question is how long after your last pregancy ended did you start trying for #4? If the time is a year or more than you or DH could have developed some issues - hopefully just minor ones. You're dr might be right and there isn't any abnormal hormone issues but he has NO way of knowing for certain unless he orders bloodwork - I suggest you ask him to check anyways unless it's going to cost you a fortune because it could save you a lot of stress down the road if you don't get any answers from your HSG or DH's SA.

There are quite a few women who've had HSG and then gone on to get pregnant within 3 months of it but I don't know how common that is. As for what could cause secondary infertility...I think the most common would be a tubal blockage or low sperm count and hormonal imbalances. However, I conceived right after coming off the pill when I was 20 and have now been trying for a little over 3 years for #2 - turns out I have PCOS and looking back I likely had it then too but it wasn't yet severe enough to totally stop ovulation.

Are your OPK's digital? If not, there's a chance they're not true positives - and even a digital could say you're about to O and then you don't actually O (although if you're getting AF the right amount of time after O then it's unlikely). You may simply not be timing it well enough or BDing quite enough around that time etc.

There are other things like endometriosis and uterine fibroids and cysts but those aren't the likliest causes in your case. I'd lean strongly towards either low sperm on your hubby's side (again, depending on any changes in his lifestyle and that timeframe I asked about) or a hormonal imbalance or tubal blockage on your part. However, the worst thing they can likely tell you is that it's "unexplained" which is frustrating to say the least (I spent almost 2 years of our TTC journey in the "unexplained" category).

You can google "causes of secondary infertility" and read up on it for more info. Hope that helps! Best of luck to you!

Sometimes things just happen like that... I had no issues at all getting pregnant with my first. and now we have been trying for over 2 years and nothing. Every test we take comes back great. I am only 26 and OH 31 so age isn't an issue. We are also both fit active people too. And have sex ALL the time so its not a timing thing at all.

So sorry you have to be here but you are amongst friends.
Good luck hun, hope your stay here is a short one :) At this stage you may have just been unlucky. :dust: to you!!!!

Secondary Infertility is actually more common than you think. We had MFI with our first (she's 19 months), but this time my FSH is high, we've been trying for a year. The mind/body connection in infertility is undeniable. Everyone knows someone who got pregnant after they adopt or give up. There is a great book called The Fertile Female that I found to be very inspiring. I use the imagry exercises daily and find them to be very helpful and calming. Best of luck to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->