Help me with my terrible, terrible sleeper!

wanna-b-mummy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Really hoping someone has some advice. I'm absolutely desperate and exhausted and I just need something to change because I can't go on for much longer the way things are. Going to be an essay so apologies.

I have 6 month old twins and my boy twin is why I am writing this post. He has never ever ever slept. He suffers from silent reflux which is under control with anti reflux milk and Ranitidine. He's happy in the day that's why I know his reflux isn't bothering him. He was born at 37 weeks at 5lb, he is now on 50th centile and a big big bruiser of a boy. I started weaning him advised by doctor because of reflux a couple of weeks ago. He isn't keen but I'm persevering. He has something at 2pm most days.

My problem is that he hates sleep. He absolutely hates it and just doesn't sleep. at all. We went through a phase at about 8 weeks where he would sleep 6-11, have a feed, and then he would be up every 2 hours until morning. That's as good as it's ever been and I now miss those days desperately because at least I was getting a little sleep and the 6-11 sleep meant I could have a bath, eat dinner, and spend some time with my other little boy doing homework or reading or sometimes just sitting and watching a bit of tv for an hour or so. just normal stuff.

Now - and for weeks and weeks - he goes down at 6, (both he and his sister have naturally implemented this bed time) and his sister will then usually then be asleep until morning or until 3 when she sometimes has a feed. Logan though, will wake probably 3-4 times an hour. Sometimes more. Bad days it's every 5 minutes. Good, he may do an hour or two and then wake every 40 min.
Sometimes all it takes is for us to pat his bum and he goes back to sleep but really this doesn't work that often. He just tosses turns, screams out, cries, whinges, moans, all usually with his eyes closed and then gets hysterical, and this goes on all night long. He has been like this for about 3 months but it's getting worse every night. Every night he starts off in the cot, but I try anything to settle him. I co sleep eventually because I cannot keep getting out of bed every 10 minutes to settle him. Sleeping with me makes no difference.

We thought he was suffering with reflux again - doctors didnt seem so sure as all the symptoms he had with it before have gone. Nonetheless he they put him on max dose of Ranitidine. But I don't think it's illness - I think he just wants to get up. If in the middle of his screaming I put the lamp on, within a minute has stopped crying completely and is silent, or cooing, smiling, kicking his legs. DH has just had enough and taken him downstairs so I can sleep and I can hear him cooing and babbling down there with him. Before, he was shouting and screaming the house down. Naps are pretty much the same unless he falls asleep in the car seat or buggy but naps never last longer than 40 minutes on a good day.

He is teething, he chews and dribbles constantly. They both do. I use Calpol, ibuprofen and teething gel when appropriate. I have wave sounds on at night. The room is perfect temp. They are still in our room. His sister is so used to him she sleeps through it. He won't take a dummy, I've tried. He a lot of the time will settle on a bottle even if it's just one or two sucks. But then that's never for longer than 30-40 min.

I just don't know what to do. I have no life. I am with them all day, I then am upstairs from 6pm-6am in a bedroom. I am so tired that I have constant headaches and I'm dizzy and light headed a lot of the time. I have also just been diagnosed with postnatal depression which the doctor is sure is mostly due to exhaustion.

What can I do? Does anybody have any advice at all? I'm desperate. My mum takes him overnight when she can but getting one night of good sleep a fortnight doesn't make a dent in the exhauation I feel. Doctors keep saying I need to rest and have me time. And Dh is amazing, but it's easy telling me I need sleep to get better. Getting it is impossible.

I just worry that the weeks of undiagnosed reflux in the beginning and the screaming through the night has just given him the worst sleep associations. He just associates it with pain and horribleness. He falls asleep before bed on the bottle or in my arms but stirs as I lay him down but still goes back off usually.

Any advice is welcome. I am open to anything. Thank you.

Hugs hon.
U may hve tried it already.
But where and how does he sleep
Two refluxers here.only way they would sleep is on tummy on slanted matress
Might not help but worth a try.

My friend sleeps her little one in baby swing
Again only place she will sleep

Drs recommended I sleep my ds in his bouncer padded with towels
I never did but that was his paediatrics advice
Cos I co slept and she didn't like it.

For ages only place he could sleep was on his tummy on my chest

Hope u get some rest soon hon
Hugs xxx

I second the tummy sleeping on an incline. Both my children have/had reflux and it is the only way they would sleep.

Also, weaning made my sons reflux worse for a few weeks. Their digestive system is already struggling so adding food is something they have to work at.

Have you tried to swaddle him? I often had to swaddle my daughter for nap time if we were out and she couldn't lie on her tummy. Feeling secure really helped her.

It also does sound like his lack of sleep is making him over tired so he won't settle. If my daughter has a busy hand day she gets overtired and has a hellish night like last night. We were out all day and she was up 4/5 times last night screaming because she couldn't in to a deep enough sleep.

I hope you can figure it out soon, it so not fun being permanently exhausted Big hugs! xxx

The only way I can get my DS to sleep at night is using the sleepyhead in his cot which is also on an incline.

I can't get him to sleep anywhere other than in the sleepyhead as he thrashes about too much and wakes himself up too much to settle himself again.

I am a FTM so don't have a huge amount of experience but that's what works for me.

Don't know if you can get gaviscon but that really helped with my little boy's reflux. What about trying a nightlight if he is happier with light on? White noise worked pretty well for us and we also swaddled. I also used to make a nest of blankets in the cot, put a sheet on top so it was safe to sleep in so he was in a little cocoon. Thought it might make him feel safer

This may be a dumb question but have you tried sleep training, like the Ferber method or cry-it-out? I know a lot of people are opposed to them, and let me say I'd never let my kids cry for a long time, but Ferber saved my sanity with my DD and now my DS. He went through a stage just like you describe only I was less patient than you. I decided to see if ONE attempt to train him would have any effect and...it did! It did not make him a perfect sleeper. He doesn't sleep through the whole night. But he will give me 8:30-3, then a couple of wakings between then and 7.

Sometimes he wakes early and I just wait to see if he'll really cry or just fuss. Many times he fusses himself back to sleep but it can take 15 minutes. You might want to wait a bit longer to see if yours will self-settle eventually, though it is a bit nerve-wracking and feels like cry-it-out even if he's not really crying.

Another idea: could he just be hungry?? Mine is eating solids but like yours, isn't really filling up on them. He's mostly breastfeeding and I don't have tons of milk in the evening. Maybe he isn't getting quite enough and is a bit peckish? (I know that sounds ridiculous but they grow so much, so fast.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->