Help need with cavity filling suggestions

Janet Hoffman

Reaction score
Hi, I'm into my second trimester and recently I've got very bad tooth ache. I actually avoided the pain for few months, but now it has become severe and I went for a checkup at Dr. Stephen Phelan's clinic in Oakville. He told about the presence of a cavity and asked me to do a filling procedure at the earliest. But I'm feeling uncomfortable about it. I've heard a lot about people losing the filling, which is actually composition of chemicals, and worried whether it will have any side-effect to by kid. I need help on it. Should I go with the filling?

From what I understand- and you might just ask your OB for confirmation- is that novocaine is safe during pregnancy (what they use to numb the gums prior to filling the tooth). But you wouldn't want gas- if offered. Although the dentist should know better.

Checkups and proper tooth care are still important during pregnancy- and many women can get issues with teeth while prego (as baby takes up all the good nutrients first)- we are kind of on the back burner... so it's good to take care of it now so it doesn't get worse.

Also- I have several fillings (NEVER had an issue with any of them). The newer ones are not metal, there are other options. Mine used porcelain- and they match the color of my teeth, so you'd never even know they were there. The metals ones (from childhood) can still be seen though.

I'm assuming this is your first cavity? It's not so bad, I promise. Any good dentist will make it as comfortable as possible. For me, the worst part was the numbing- but after that, I didn't feel a thing! Just pressure.

Hugs :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->